Similar authors to follow
Manage your follows
About Daniel G. Amen
Daniel Amen believes that brain health is central to all health and success. When your brain works right, he says, you work right; and when your brain is troubled you are much more likely to have trouble in your life. His work is dedicated to helping people have better brains and better lives.
The Washington Post called Dr. Amen the most popular psychiatrist in America and Sharecare named him the web’s #1 most influential expert and advocate on mental health.
Dr. Amen is a physician, double board certified psychiatrist, television producer and ten-time New York Times bestselling author. He is the Founder and Medical Director of Amen Clinics in Costa Mesa and San Francisco, California, Bellevue, Washington, Reston, Virginia, Atlanta, Georgia and New York, New York. Amen Clinics have the world’s largest database of functional brain scans relating to behavior, totaling more than 125,000 scans on patients from 111 countries.
Dr. Amen is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, the highest award given to members, and is the lead researcher on the world’s largest brain imaging and rehabilitation study on professional football players. His research has not only demonstrated high levels of brain damage in players, he also showed the possibility of significant recovery for many with the principles that underlie his work.
Together with Pastor Rick Warren and Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. Amen is also one of the chief architects on Saddleback Church’s “Daniel Plan,” a program to get the world healthy through religious organizations.
Dr. Amen has written, produced and hosted 11 popular shows about the brain for public television, which have been aired more than 100,000 times across North America.
Dr. Amen is the author or co-author of 70 professional articles, seven book chapters, and over 30 books, including the #1 New York Times bestseller The Daniel Plan and Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, Magnificent Mind At Any Age, Change Your Brain, Change Your Body, Use Your Brain to Change Your Age, Unleash the Power of the Female Brain and Healing ADD.
Dr. Amen’s published scientific articles have appeared in the prestigious journals of Molecular Psychiatry, PLOS One, Nature’s Translational Psychiatry, Nature’s Obesity, Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, Minerva Psichiatrica, Journal of Neurotrauma, American Journal of Psychiatry, Nuclear Medicine Communication, Neurological Research, Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Primary Psychiatry, Military Medicine and General Hospital Psychiatry.
Dr. Amen has appeared in movies, including After the Last Round and The Crash Reel and has appeared in Emmy winning shows, such as The Truth About Drinking and the Dr. Oz Show. He has also spoken for the National Security Agency (NSA), the National Science Foundation (NSF), Harvard’s Learning and the Brain Conference, the Department of the Interior, the National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges and the Supreme Courts of Delaware, Ohio and Wyoming. Dr. Amen’s work has been featured in Newsweek, Time, Huffington Post, ABC World News, 20/20, BBC, London Telegraph, Parade Magazine, New York Times, New York Times Magazine, Washington Post, LA Times, Men’s Health, Bottom Line, and Cosmopolitan.
Dr. Amen is married to Tana, the father of four children and grandfather to Elias, Emmy, Liam and Louie. He is an avid table tennis player.
Customers Also Bought Items By
Your brain is always listening and responding to these hidden influences and unless you recognize and deal with them, they can steal your happiness, spoil your relationships, and sabotage your health. This book will teach you to tame the:
- Dragons from the Past that ignite your most painful emotions;
- Negative Thought Dragons that attack you, fueling anxiety and depression;
- They and Them Dragons, people in your life whose own dragons do battle with yours;
- Bad Habit Dragons that increase the chances you’ll be overweight, overwhelmed, and an underachiever;
- Addicted Dragons that make you lose control of your health, wealth, and relationships; and
- Scheming Dragons, advertisers and social media sites that steal your attention.
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • In this completely revised and updated edition, neuropsychiatrist Dr. Daniel Amen includes effective "brain prescriptions" that can help heal your brain and change your life.
“Perfection in combining leading-edge brain science technology with a proven, user-friendly, definitive, and actionable road map to safeguard and enhance brain health and functionality.”—David Perlmutter, M.D., New York Times bestselling author of Grain Brain
In Change Your Brain, Change Your Life, renowned neuropsychiatrist Daniel Amen, M.D., includes new, cutting-edge research gleaned from more than 100,000 SPECT brain scans over the last quarter century and scientific evidence that your anxiety, depression, anger, obsessiveness, or impulsiveness could be related to how specific structures work in your brain. Dr. Amen’s “brain prescriptions” will help you:
• To quell anxiety and panic: Use simple breathing techniques to immediately calm inner turmoil
• To fight depression: Learn how to kill ANTs (automatic negative thoughts) and use supplements targeted to your brain type
• To curb anger: Follow the Amen anti-anger diet and learn the nutrients that calm rage
• To boost memory: Learn the specific steps and habits to decrease your risk for Alzheimer’s disease that can help you today
• To conquer impulsiveness and learn to focus: Develop total focus with the One-Page Miracle
• To stop obsessive worrying: Follow the “get unstuck” writing exercise and learn other problem-solving exercises
You’re not stuck with the brain you’re born with.
Attention deficit disorder (ADD) is a national health crisis that continues to grow—yet it remains one of the most misunderstood and incorrectly treated illnesses today. Neuropsychiatrist Daniel G. Amen, MD was one of the first to identify that there are multiple types beyond just purely hyperactive or inattentive ADD, each requiring a different treatment. Now, in this all-new, revised edition, Dr. Amen again employs the latest medical advances in the field, including the largest brain imaging study ever completed on patients with ADD, to identify, examine, and demystify the 7 distinct types of ADD and their specific treatments.
With updated recommendations for nutraceuticals and/or medications targeted to brain type, diet, exercise, lifestyle interventions, cognitive reprogramming, parenting and educational strategies, neurofeedback, and more, Dr. Amen’s revolutionary approach provides a treatment program that can lead sufferers of ADD to a normal, peaceful, and fully functional life.
Sufferers from ADD often say, “The harder I try, the worse it gets.” Dr. Amen tells them, for the first time, why, and more importantly how to heal ADD.
New hope for those suffering from conditions like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, addictions, PTSD, ADHD and more.
Though incidence of these conditions is skyrocketing, for the past four decades standard treatment hasn’t much changed, and success rates in treating them have barely improved, either. Meanwhile, the stigma of the “mental illness” label—damaging and devastating on its own—can often prevent sufferers from getting the help they need.
Brain specialist and bestselling author Dr. Daniel Amen is on the forefront of a new movement within medicine and related disciplines that aims to change all that. In The End of Mental Illness, Dr. Amen draws on the latest findings of neuroscience to challenge an outdated psychiatric paradigm and help readers take control and improve the health of their own brain, minimizing or reversing conditions that may be preventing them from living a full and emotionally healthy life.
The End of Mental Illness will help you discover:
- Why labeling someone as having a “mental illness” is not only inaccurate but harmful
- Why standard treatment may not have helped you or a loved one—and why diagnosing and treating you based on your symptoms alone so often misses the true cause of those symptoms and results in poor outcomes
- At least 100 simple things you can do yourself to heal your brain and prevent or reverse the problems that are making you feel sad, mad, or bad
- How to identify your “brain type” and what you can do to optimize your particular type
- Where to find the kind of health provider who understands and uses the new paradigm of brain health
We’ve all felt anxious, sad, traumatized, grief-stricken, stressed, angry, or hopeless at some point in life. It’s perfectly normal to go through emotional crises or have periods when you feel panicked or out of sorts. It is how you respond to these challenges that will make all the difference in how you feel—not just immediately, but also in the long run. Unfortunately, many people turn to self-medicating behaviors, such as overeating, drugs, alcohol, risky sexual behavior, anger, or wasting time on mindless TV, video games, Internet surfing, or shopping. And even though these behaviors may give temporary relief from feeling bad, they usually only prolong and exacerbate the problems—or cause other, more serious ones.
Is it possible to feel better—and make it last?
Renowned physician, psychiatrist, brain-imaging researcher, and founder of Amen Clinics Dr. Daniel Amen understands how critical it is for you to know what will help you feel better fast, now and later. In Feel Better Fast and Make It Last, you’ll discover new, powerful brain-based strategies to quickly gain control over anxiety, worry, sadness, stress and anger, strengthening your resilience and giving you joy and purpose for a lifetime.
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
The Daniel Plan is far more than a diet plan. It is an appetizing approach to achieving a healthy lifestyle by optimizing the five key essentials of faith, food, fitness, focus, and friends.
Unlike the thousands of other books on the market, this book is not about a new diet, guilt-driven gym sessions, or shame-driven fasts. Your path to holistic health begins here, as Pastor Rick Warren and fitness and medical experts Dr. Daniel Amen and Dr. Mark Hyman guide you to incorporate healthy choices into your current lifestyle.
The concepts in this book will encourage you to deepen your relationship with God and develop a community of supportive friends who will encourage you to make smart food and fitness choices each and every day. This results in gradual changes that transform your life as they help you:
- Conquer your worst cravings
- Find healthy replacement foods for the foods you love
- Discover exercise you enjoy
- Boost your energy and kick-start your metabolism
- Lose weight
- Think more clearly
- Explore biblical principles for health
- . . . and ultimately create an all-around healthy lifestyle
It's time to feast on something bigger than a fad. Start your journey to impactful, long-lasting, and sustainable results today!
Plus, get more from The Daniel Plan with The Daniel Plan Cookbook, The Daniel Plan Journal, and The Daniel Plan 365-Day Devotional.
With fifteen practical, easy-to-implement solutions involving nutritious foods, natural supplements and vitamins, positive-thinking habits, and, when necessary, highly targeted medications, Dr. Amen shows you how to:
* Reach and maintain your ideal weight
* Soothe and smooth your skin at any age
* Reduce the stress that can impair your immune system
* Sharpen your memory
* Increase willpower and eliminate the cravings that keep you from achieving your exercise and diet goals
* Enhance sexual desire and performance
* Lower your blood pressure without medication
* Avoid depression and elevate the enjoyment you take in life’s pleasures.
Based on the latest medical research, as well as on Dr. Amen’s two decades of clinical practice at the renowned Amen Clinics, where Dr. Amen and his associates pioneered the use of the most advanced brain imaging technology, Change Your Brain, Change Your Body shows you how to take the very best care of your brain.
Whether you’re just coming to realize that it’s time to get your body into shape, or are already fit and want to take it to the next level, Change Your Brain, Change Your Body is all you need to start putting the power of the brain-body connection to work for you today.
In The Brain Warrior’s Way, New York Times bestselling authors Tana and Daniel Amen share how to develop mastery over brain and body to combat disease, depression, and obesity. In this companion cookbook, not only will you find more than a hundred simple, delicious recipes that support the principles of The Brain Warrior’s Way to heal and optimize your brain, but you will also learn how to:
• Purge your pantry of toxins and processed foods.
• Stock up on inexpensive, whole-food Brain Warrior Basics that you can find at your local grocery store.
• Cook with techniques that ensure the maximum nutrition and best taste from each recipe.
• Plan holiday meals so you don’t have to “cheat” on your diet to enjoy bountiful family dinners on special occasions.
• Use spices to improve your health in simple, tasty ways.
• Pack grab-and-go snacks for healthy eating on the run.
• Teach your kids—even the picky eaters and moody teens—how to have fun being a Junior Brain Warrior.
An essential resource for Brain Warriors who want to fuel their bodies with foods that boost energy, focus, memory, and quality of life, this cookbook is the ultimate tool for winning the fight in the war for your health.
Happiness is a brain function. With a healthier brain always comes a happier life.
After studying more than 200,000 brain scans of people from 155 countries, Dr. Amen has discovered five primary brain types and seven neuroscience secrets that influence happiness. In You, Happier, he explains them and offers practical, science-based strategies for optimizing your happiness. Dr. Amen will teach you how to
- discover your brain type based on your personality and create happiness strategies best suited to you;
- improve your overall brain health to consistently enhance your mood;
- protect your happiness by distancing yourself from the “noise” in your head; and
- make seven simple decisions and ask seven daily questions to enhance your happiness.
Brain imaging research demonstrates that memory loss actually starts in the brain decades before you have any symptoms. Learn the actions you can take to help not just prevent memory loss later in life . . . but to begin restoring the memory you may have already lost.
Expert physician Dr. Amen reveals how a multipronged strategy—including dietary changes, physical and mental exercises, and spiritual practices—can improve your brain health, enhance your memory, and reduce the likelihood that you’ll develop Alzheimer’s and other memory loss–related conditions.
Keeping your brain healthy isn’t just a medical issue; it’s a God-given capacity and an essential building block for physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Take action against the fast-increasing memory crisis that threatens this crucial part of who you are—and help your brain, body, and soul stay strong for the rest of your life.
Many people, mental health professionals included, think therapy needs to be long, hard, and painful—a lifelong commitment. And while some people will need help longer than others, it is often possible for people to start feeling better right now. If you engage in the right behaviors and strategies, you’ll optimize your brain health—and see the benefits in your everyday life.
In Conquer Worry and Anxiety, renowned psychiatrist Dr. Daniel G. Amen will guide you to lasting change, teaching you how to make decisions that serve your brain’s health and set you on a path to a happier, healthier life. Each of us can make small changes that, over time, create amazing results.
Dr. Daniel Amen—a pioneer in uncovering the connections between the brain and behavior—presents his revolutionary approach to treating anxiety and depressive disorders. Based on brain science—and featuring treatment plans that include medication, diet, supplements, exercise, and social and therapeutic support—this groundbreaking book will help you conquer these potentially devastating disorders and change the way you think about anxiety and depression.
Healing Anxiety and Depression:
• Reveals 7 different types of anxiety and depression
• Provides proven-effective treatment plans for each type
• Explains the source of anxiety and depression through brain images
• Includes a self-diagnostic test to determine your type
“Help and hope for anyone who has struggled with anxiety and depression.”—John Gray, Ph.D.