Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ $4.10 shipping
Daniel Smith 285610005 Extra Fine Essentials Introductory Watercolor, 6 Tubes, 5ml
|Price:||$31.13 & FREE Shipping. Details|
- DANIEL SMITH is the Innovative Manufacturer of Beautiful Watercolors for Artists Worldwide, and makes the largest range of watercolors of any manufacturer, more than 240 colors. The 240+ color collection includes the exciting PrimaTek watercolors made from minerals (like Amethyst) plus other unique colors (like Moonglow) not available elsewhere, and Luminescent Watercolors which allow artists to capture the luminescent colors that exist in nature that regular watercolors cannot capture!
- The DANIEL SMITH Essentials Watercolor Set has six, 5ml watercolor tubes that are just the right size to get started painting with DANIEL SMITH Watercolors for both the beginner and professional artist. The set gives artists an easy way to experience the excitement of painting with DANIEL SMITH Watercolors, is conveniently sized to take along for plein air painting, and makes great gift!
- The Essentials Set has three cool primary colors: Hansa Yellow Light, Quinacridone Rose, and Phthalo Blue (GS), and three warm primary colors: New Gamboge, Pyrrol Scarlet, and French Ultramarine.
- With the 6 colors in the set, you can mix a huge range of other colors including the secondary oranges, greens and violets. When mixing these 6 essential colors in different combinations, you can paint landscapes, still lifes, portraits…whatever you choose!
- Mixing colors is one of the foundations of painting, and DANIEL SMITH has made painting easy by selecting for you, these 6 colors. Get started painting with the DANIEL SMITH Watercolor Essentials Set!
Unlock 5% savings on this product when you subscribe to 5 or more products that arrive in the same month. Skip or cancel any time, and shipping is FREE. Learn more
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
DANIEL SMITH Extra Fine Watercolors - classic watercolors of unsurpassed purity and permanence. The vision in the formulation of DANIEL SMITH watercolors was twofold;
- First and foremost, to produce watercolors that are the best in lightfastness and permanence.
- Second, to offer a selection of truly unique colors.
DANIEL SMITH Watercolors are formulated to meet and exceed the highest industry standards for the manufacture of artist’s paints, and every batch made is tested and analyzed for its performance qualities.
DANIEL SMITH is truly the worldwide leader of watercolors for artists with 240+ beautiful colors in the 15ml watercolors, the most of any manufacturer. Many are traditional colors relied upon by all artists, and there are many “truly unique” colors made only by DANIEL SMITH that have become so important to watercolor artists.
PrimaTek Watercolors are made from minerals, often semi precious minerals, that have been ground into pigments, mixed with gum arabic (the binder) and milled into PrimaTek Watercolors. The first was Lapis Lazuli Genuine in 1998, since then, many more have been added such as Amethyst Genuine, Piemontite Genuine and Serpentine Genuine. Most of these colors have wonderful granulating effects that some artists have called “magical”.
Luminescent Watercolors have special optical effects perfect for subjects that have a sparkle, sheen, or reflective glow like the iridescence of hummingbird feathers or the sheen of metals.
Cadmium Hues, DANIEL SMITH has developed safe and vibrant Cadmium Hues with the density and richness of cadmium colors without the cadmium pigment. Virtually identical in color to their namesakes, they are cleaner in mixtures and much stronger in tints. The working properties – staining power, semi-transparency and excellent lightfastness – are nearly identical to those of the low-soluble cadmium colors DANIEL SMITH previously manufactured.
Some unique colors are created exclusively by DANIEL SMITH like Cascade Green, Green Gold and Moonglow. DANIEL SMITH also finds unusual pigments to make colors like Mayan Red, Lunar Blue and Enviro-Friendly Red Iron Oxide to provide more choices for artists. Other colors are from pigments DANIEL SMITH has sourced, often from very specific locations, colors like Burgundy Yellow Ochre, Monte Amiata Natural Sienna and Roasted French Ochre.
DANIEL SMITH Watercolors are a favorite of artists all over the world, from professional artists to the beginning watercolorists because of the beautiful colors, consistent performance and lasting color or lightfastness.
DANIEL SMITH Watercolors are packed with high quality pigments using pure gum arabic as the binder – no fillers. For each color, DANIEL SMITH selects the perfect grind to yield particle sizes that maximize the qualities inherent in the pigment, balancing maximum pigment load with minimum vehicle content.
DANIEL SMITH offers many ways to experience their Watercolors as well as providing extra creative means for artists with their Watercolor Grounds, Masking Fluid and Walnut Ink.
- 15ml Watercolors, available in more than 240 colors, the most of any manufacturer.
- 5ml Watercolors, available in 88 of the most popular colors DANIEL SMITH makes.
- Watercolor Sticks, 51 popular DANIEL SMITH Watercolors shaped into stick form to draw and paint with, a new way to expressively use watercolors.
- Watercolor Dot Cards, a great way to try DANIEL SMITH Watercolors without buying whole tubes of paint. These are dots of pure DANIEL SMITH Watercolors that reactivate into paint with the touch of a wet brush, allowing artists to easily and cost effectively, try many colors. Two sizes: 238 Dot Card to try nearly the entire line of DANIEL SMITH Watercolors and the 66 Dot Card to try many DANIEL SMITH Watercolors.
- PrimaTek Watercolors, 37 PrimaTek Watercolors, made from minerals, many semi-precious, that are ground into pigments and made into unique watercolors.
- Luminescent Watercolors, 48 Luminescent Watercolors with optical effects.
- Watercolor Sets: Essentials Set, PrimaTek Set, Alvaro Castagnet’s Master Set, Primary and Secondary Sets.
- Watercolor Ground, Paint watercolors on any surface when prepared with DANIEL SMITH Watercolor Ground, available in 4 colors; Titanium White, Buff Titanium, Mars Black and Transparent. Watercolor Ground can help “rescue” a watercolor painting when applied over a mistake, giving an artist a second chance with a new surface to paint on.
When you choose DANIEL SMITH Watercolors and other DANIEL SMITH products, you are choosing the best materials to create with. DANIEL SMITH products are made in the USA, in Seattle, Washington for artists worldwide.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top customer reviews
Five of the watercolors in this set are single pigment. New Gamboge is no longer a single pigment color as the pigment PY153 appears to have been discontinued.
Strangely, the set I received included two tubes of Pyrrol Scarlet and no New Gamboge. I used a single pigment yellow (similar to New Gamboge hue) from a different manufacturer and mixing that with the 5 colors in the Daniel Smith set I received worked fine.
Pigment information for the colors in this set:
- Hansa Yellow Light: PY3 - Lightfastness II - Series 1
- New Gamboge: PY97 PY110 - Lightfastness I - Series 1
- Pyrrol Scarlet: PR255 - Lightfastness I - Series 3
- Quinacridone Rose: PV19 - Lightfastness I - Series 2
- French Ultramarine: PB29 - Lightfastness I - Series 2
- Phatlo Blue (GS): PB15:3 - Lightfastness I - Series 1
I can't comment on the New Gamboge, but the pigment load and transparency of the other 5 colors are very good.
Overall, this is a great set to practice on mixing colors from a limited set of pigments.
Update 10/4/16: I ordered a second set of these watercolors and this one also came with two tubes of Pyrrol Scarlet and no New Gamboge
Update 10/19/16: I contacted Daniel Smith to inform them about the packaging issue with this product. They offered to send me the missing New Gamboge tubes free of charge even though I had purchased the product from Amazon. Not only excellent product but also excellent customer service!
If you're buying this brand and this set of tubed watercolors, you've more than likely read the reviews, read some of the comments in artists' forums, and maybe even visited Daniel Smith website. So I won't repeat any of the tech stuff or reviews. Everything good said about these paints is true with no hype or obfuscation.
If you've read anything bad about these paints, you might consider the experience as a water-colorist of the reviewer, or that someone just wants to whine about something.
I'll say it again: there are no better watercolors than Daniel Smith.
I started off using student grade paints (koi). Those were pretty good but the more I learned about watercolors, the more I wanted to excitement with high quality paints and learn to mix colors.
I have since collect many paints of both student and artist quality. There is definitely a difference among the two.
In my humble opinion, this is a great set to start with. There is a warm and cool version of the three primary colors, all with single pigments. If you want to dive into coloring harmony and color mixing, start here. In fact, when interested friends ask me about starting to paint with water coloring, I like to recommend this set. It is economical and logical.
At the moment I am putting aside all my other palettes of watercolors and focusing on these 6 colors. I have filled a ceramic palettes with 9 wells. And I periodically squirt more color in as needed. And I can easily wipe away the mixing areas. No concerns about staining.
I've used these on traditional watercolor paper, Bristol paper and even some pages in s coloring book. The bibancy of these paints is wonderful in any of these surfaces.
Anyway, I am attaching some photos.