Oil month Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy Fifty Shades Freed available to buy  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on August 18, 2015
I liked the heroine, and even Leena started to grow on me a bit, but the two vampire leads Jesu and Jalmari are too evil for any type of romance. I like my dark fantasy and dark romances as well, but the pairing of Ema and Jesu simply does not work. I don't typically include spoilers in my reviews, but I thought the below spoiler is relevant to how bad the pairing of the hero and heroine is. Now if the vampires were complete villians and she wished to stop their evil depravities than that would be fine.

Spoiler below

Jesu is Jack the Ripper....and unrepentant at that he said he had to kill those girls in order to save and find you. Sorry Ema but you should not enter into a relation with the Jack the Ripper.
on March 29, 2016
Once I started reading this book I could not put it down. J.D. Brown has created an amazing vampire world in her Ema Marx novels. Despite the many vampire novels I have read, Brown has created a vampire story unlike any other. The story is steady and allows the reader to really take in the world unfolding in front of them. She delves into vampire races, abilities, beliefs, and so much more.

Ema is an amazing character who despite turning vampire is still very human. When Ema finds herself kidnapped and halfway across the Earth, she does what any human would, she tries to escape. During her stay with her kidnappers, she learns that she is a vampire and must learn how to live like one. Little does she know a premonition has been foretold of who she will become.
on November 18, 2016
I received an ARC from the author and have chosen to review it. I really enjoyed this book it was a different take on paranormal creatures that I hadn’t read before. At times the storyline would get very slow with Ema trying investigating her powers and trying to figure out which clan she belonged to. Also some of the wording and the language would get confusing at times just because it was something I had ever heard of before. It did eventually pick up the pace and it got really good. I can’t wait to see what happens with the characters as the series continues.
on July 30, 2017
This book was over the top good. It has depicted the next phase of this series where Apolliyon is supposedly dead. But not all evil dies in a traditional way, and now Jalmari and Jesu are grown men dealing with their own secrets where Ema is concerned. Jesu saw her in a premonition that meant the destruction of his father and Jalmari, but how can that be when his father is already dead. Twists and suspense are strong factors in this story and once again gives you a completely different outlook on vampire vs vampyre. Not all is equal, not all is fair. Ema has no idea why this is happening to her, nor does she want any part of it. She doesn't want to be a part of the plot surrounding her, but she finds she really has no choice but to adapt.

Even as I headed into the ending of this book I knew I wouldn't have closure to how Ema and Jesu would figure out what is next. And the fact that Jalmari still holds all that has gone wrong since Ema came on the scene. His intent is to hunt her down and destroy her. Why is it all her fault when she didn't ask to be included in this song and dance? You must read...but you need to start at the beginning or be lost where some of the other characters here are portrayed.
on February 20, 2017
J.D. Brown spins a great tale!! The world she builds is complex and wonderfully different from other vampire books. This is a great book and I look forward to reading the rest in the series!!
on May 31, 2016
I enjoyed this book. It definitely started off with a lot of heart pounding action as Emma was being chased through alleys by a dark assailant. Fortunately, a neighbor turned the light on and yelled out of the window. Emma's assailant left but it really shook Emma up. Now her true adventure begins. She meets her 3 people , wakes up in a different country and learns what she has become. Jesu becomes her friend and swears to protect her. I found this book interesting and full of thrills and some laughs. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. It's a great read.
on October 25, 2016
This is my second time reading this book, but I recently read Athena's Oracle, so I had a different perspective after this read I still loved the story and the sassiness of Ema; I was still hooked into the story line just like the first time I read it. I loved reading about her discovery and use of her powers. I disliked Leena just like I did the first time I read it and wondered on this read how did she get to be the way she was from where she was in Athena's Oracle. I understand that time changes people and 2000 years is a lot of time, but for me, it was only a day and the personality was so much different. However, I loved the love between Leena and Jalmari, even though they were drifting apart. I was sad with the way things ended.

This is my sole gripe on this book: Jalmari/Apollyon relationship. How did Apollyon get so much power over Jalmari wherein Jalmari was calling him master and was being commanded to do things and HAD to act. I thought only vampires had sires and had that type of master/servant relationship. I thought Vampyres did not have a sire because they were born. This was also the explanation given to Ema for the reason she so is suited to be queen. So this entire dynamic threw me off and I hope the author can offer an explanation.

I would also love to have more of an explanation on the apple core and Apollyon. I felt that could be explained a little because I was confused. The last few pages felt rushed (or it could have been the way I was reading), but there was A LOT jammed into the end. I wanted more. I hope some of these things are explained further in the next few books.
on February 13, 2016
With vivid descriptions that pull the reader into the story, I eagerly turned the pages. Knowing that with each page I got closer to the end even though I did not want this journey to end! Emma Marx didn't ask to be a vampire but she is. Her beginning will grab you and you want to hold on and go with her! This book was on my reading list for a year and why I didn't move it up.....well I'm kicking myself for that!!! Wanna bet what book is next? Dark Liaison for sure!! A great story puts the reader right there and I loved every page! Thanks!
on August 6, 2017
Dark Heirloom #1 - A good read. A well written suspense with interesting characters and a well thought out plot. The book is informative about the various subjects in the story and has good descriptions. I didn't care too much for the vulgar language, but it's less than usually found in other books. I didn't have the time to read the book in one sitting, which made it hard to put the book down. This story continues in the next book, Dark Liaisons.

Dark Liaisons #2 - A good read, too. A well written, action filled suspense that picks up where Dark Heirloom stopped. The characters are believable and the plot is interesting. The characters are more developed as the books (1 & 2) unfold. Unfortunately, Liaisons has a cliffhanger ending and continues in the next book, Dark Becoming. My journey with Ema stops here for me; I don't care for cliffhanger endings.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 23, 2017
oh my godness. Vampires and Vampyres. yes my friends there is a difference.
This story take up on and adverture into the darkness with Ema. She find all kinds of things out about her family and more.