Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

on August 30, 2015
I read the first book of the Tales of Nevaeh, Born to Magic and gave it 5 Stars in my review. When David Wind released The Dark Masters, I had to buy it! Like its predecessor, it was a great read!

Synopsis (from the author): Across the sea, the sorcerers known as the Dark Masters, launch a fleet of ships with tens of thousands of warriors. In Nevaeh, charged with an epic journey, Areenna and Mikaal, armed only with their psychic abilities, their swords and Areenna's bow, must travel to the desolate Frozen Mountains. There, in the unchartered dangerous region, they must discover not just the legends, but the millennia old secret awaiting them in their fight to save Nevaeh from extermination.

What I liked: David Wind has created an interesting future world where women have magic, men have battle skills, and the animals are mutated versions of current creatures. I enjoyed the way our heroes bonded with their animal friends and how the animals shared power and abilities with them. The battle scenes are well done, and I think the Sixes are cool! Interspersed in the story is the growing attraction between Areenna and Mikaal and their battle to keep it at bay. I also liked the overall theme of the battle between good and evil, and the surprising twist in the mountains was a nice touch!

What I didn’t like: About the only criticism I have is I thought more could have been done to explore the people Areenna and Mikaal met as they journeyed to the mountains. I’m sure it will be a part of the next book, though, so my questions will be answered!

Overall impression: As with the first book, this was an excellent read! Filled with memorable characters, excellent battle scenes, and intrigue and romance, I would recommend The Dark Masters to any fantasy fan! Well done, David Wind!!

My rating: 5 Stars!!
on March 15, 2016
Loved it. Got hooked reading the first volume and didn't stop reading until I finished the last. Now I'm sad because I'm through one of the most entertaining binge reading weeks I've known. I recommend this. It's thoughtful, well written and the plot makes you feel totally invested.
on November 7, 2015
This book was even better than the first in the Tales of Nevaeh! So much more of the story is told, with more characters and even more magic. I am amazed at the way David Wind is able to tell a story so compelling it is hard to stop reading. I read both Born to Magic and The Dark Masters in a week, so the only negative is now having to wait for the third book to be released. I know it will be well worth the wait.
on June 6, 2015
Drawn am I to this story, having read both books back to back, and wanting the next book now! Alas, I will bide my time! What makes this so great are characters both real and understandable! This has what I crave in fantasy, magic,humanness and excitement!
on June 22, 2016
I love these books, just finished reading book 2 can't wait to read book 3. I can't put it down, it grabs you and won't let go.
on August 24, 2015
I really liked Book 1, but Book 2 was even better. I really enjoyed how the characters developed, and the addition of new ones to advance the story and introduce new twists and turns. I read it on a cruise and had a hard time putting it down. Really looking forward to Book 3. Highly recommended.

Mike K.
on December 5, 2016
Difficult to put down.
on March 18, 2016
Wonderful story telling. Thoroughly enjoyed the first two books. Onto the third!
on January 6, 2016
Not as good as the fist book. I honestly feel the use of foretelling is becoming or has become a deus ex machina. It was in book one to a lesser degree, but i still feel it was too much then.
on May 25, 2015
I was so excited to jump into Dark Masters and it defiantly did not disappoint. I am patiently awaiting the next chapter in this amazing series. Do not hesitate to give both books in this series a chance. You will be pleasantly surprised.