Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dark Shadows DVD Collection 1
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Kate Voegele Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on June 26, 2013
I am reliving my youth I used to watch Dark Shadows every day after school when I was a kid. all the flubbed lines out of focus shots stuck doors and boom shadows whats not to like?
on December 26, 2012
This was for my wife for christmas. So far she has loved it. This is not re-mastered so Picture quality is poor but that is part of the whole black & white experience.
on August 10, 2005
My Dark Shadows DVD collection vlm.1 was delivered very fast! I love DS and thank God for Amazon for having this collection available--please keep up the great work!
on August 18, 2011
I am almost done with this first collection. I am on the last disc of collection 1. I think that for all the enjoyment I find in this show it is about equally offset by the same amount of boredom. It seems to me that perhaps the show has not aged that well. I like the concept, and I genuinely want to enjoy Dark Shadows, but I can't get much farther than feeling like I am wasting my time/life watching this somewhat drivelish vampire soap opera. If the show started in 1966 or 1967 had no character in the show ever heard of Dracula or a vampire. The suspension of non belief is sometimes hard to suspend. I know it's necessary to suspend belief or for character's to be clueless about vampires but the idea that vampires might be somewhere near the characters seems to be quite obvious. The clueless conversations are so monotonous. These dim characters just don't know which way is up. Even Barnabus Collins looks foolish as a vampire at times. Barney can't keep a little kid out of his house. People keep walking in to Barney's house. Barney has created a fantasy relationship with a woman who looks like another woman he once loved. Barney's would be bride just can't remember who she is. She is so confused.

I like the old feel of the show. I like the black and white aspect of the show, even though the video quality of the show at times is abysmal. And note too that you will frequently see shadows of cameras and microphones. I saw a rolling camera in the hall in one show. In one scene in Barney's house the wheel on a camera SQUEALED very LOUDLY and Barney stayed in character. And the camera people sometimes bump into things, they shuffle about, but mostly they always seem to create shadows that move when the characters do not move.

I realize the show is a classic of sorts. It has some appeal but damned if I am not ageing watching this show. It just goes on and on and on. And how long are the actual episodes? They seem like they are about 15 minutes without the commercials. Yes, as someone said the show is melodramatic, gothic, etc. I want to find out what might happen but it's hard knowing I sit there watching and so very little seems to happen. Stuff really happens in real boring time in this show. You surely do not miss much. Everything that seems to happen is shown. Since I am in collection one I was quite surprised to know that there are perhaps 26 volumes or more of this collection!!! I thought perhaps I had a condensed version of this show and that seasons with even more in depth boring stuff were available. I thought perhaps I was moving to a climax in collection 1, an end, only to find that the show was just barely getting started.

I seem to remember a much scarier introduction into this show that may be in color. I guess that intro may exist and if I keep watching I might finally see the intro that used to scare me as a child. I don't think I was ever allowed to watch this show for fear that I would have nightmares.

Well hat's off to whoever puts this out. I'm glad people keep Dark Shadows alive so I can contemplate the cult following and the curious appeal of the show. Jonathan Frid seems to be the glue that held the show together. He was a very urbane and polite, even gentile vampire. He even liked children. He's your cousinly vampire. He's a vampire you'd enjoy having in the family. Perhaps you'd let him babysit your kids. :)

Please, keep this show alive. I am mildly interested in following it. I have nothing better to do. I'm gonna watch something afterall. Why not watch a melodramatic soap opera about a vampire.
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2013
The series was alright based on the darkest part of A New England Family in A small town,and about A new persons arrival to the communty but who I not really new.The story of terror of legengery monsters and more.
on April 19, 2012
Thank you for offering this product. It has excellent quality and I really enjoyed it.I am going to continue to order this collection.
on May 2, 2012
I have a great appreciation for older cinema and was hoping to gain some insight into the series before the movie adaptation comes out this year. My reaction was somewhat mixed... on the one hand I love the nostalgic feeling of watching an old body of work, but on the other hand there are several weaknesses that newer viewers should be aware of before purchasing the set. First of all, the pacing is very very slow compared to anything from even the 1980's onward. It takes a long time and several conversations that appear to be near exact repeats of previous dialogue for the show to get anywhere. I don't know how many times Willie Loomis had been discussed in terms of getting him off the property before he finally did leave, but it was getting more than a little tedious. Actors also frequently flub lines, but carry on stoically as if this was the only take they had and the show simply had to go on. I admire that, but its something that viewers used to a more polished product should be aware of. Its certainly dated, fashions were incredibly unflattering, and like I said earlier it takes a great deal of time for any action to really take place in the midst of overly repeated dialogue and conversations. Despite this I found myself continuing to watch the series after becoming a bit more accustomed to the pace. Definitely not for everyone.
on September 14, 2007
I loved watching Dark Shadows every day after school with a childhood friend. It is cool to see these all over again. Thank you!
on October 31, 2008
i remember coming home from grade school and watching DARK SHADOWS with my mother every day . not knowing i`d become so interested in the story line and the actors . I can only say one thing about DARKSHADOWS ..FANTASTIC !!! IT`S THE ONLY THING I NEED TO SAY ABOUT THIS SERIES ... I WAS HOOKED WHEN I WAS MUCH YOUNGER .. TODAY COMPARED TO THE GARBAGE ON TV , I CHOOSE TO WATCH THINGS THAT INEREST ME THE MOST .ONCE YOU`VE SEEN ALL THE EPISODES , YOU`LL WANT TO START OVER AGAIN , AS ME ......GREAT SERIES , I PLAN TO OWN THE ENTIRE SET OF EPISODES ON DVD.... I RATE IT FIVE STARS!!
on November 6, 2002
...I'm a fairly new DS fan and I bought this first collection to catch up to the fans that have been watching longer. The 15 minute intro to the first 200 episodes took me right in and the 40 other episodes that introduce Barnabas Collins made me anxious to buy the next set of DVDs. I even showed my mom this first set and now she's hooked on the show and can't wait to see the next volumes.
The picture and audio quality is top notch and anyone that says otherwise is being nit-picky.
Highly recommended if you wanna sway someone into DS-fandom.