Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

Dark Skies
Format: DVD|Change

on November 4, 2015
Horror isn't my favorite genre but this one was worth watching. There are a lot of alien invasion movies and Dark Skies took a unique approach. I think it was a realistic approach. If intelligent beings travel millions of light years to our planet, we would be like lab rats to them. It's that simple. Well acted, love watching Keri Russell. She is in my top 16 favorite younger actress list. The reason i don't like this genre is the writers make the victims out to be sooooo stupid! Without spoiling too much i will say this: If your child is having horrible nightmares or being visited by aliens, don't leave them in their room. take them to your room until you figure it out.

the disc played well. totally satisfied. 5 stars on that note.
on June 10, 2013
This movie is not really a horror movie. It has no blood. It has no gore. There is no evil thing that hacks and slashes its way through the movie. This is a type of movie that has become prevalent as of late that is more thriller than horror and more psychological than scary. The horror is more from what you don't see than what you do. What you feel than what is actually happening. The dread and the hopelessness of the situation.

The movie just wouldn't work if you did not feel for the family. If you didn't understand them. If you couldn't be them...and that's what makes the movie work; because just about every single one of us can be them. There is nothing special about them. The husband is between jobs and the wife is barely hanging on to hers. The older son is in the middle of his first love and the younger son is well the younger son. They are a perfectly normal American family.

And then it all falls apart.

And they don't know why.

That is what made the movie interesting for me. That is what made it worth watching and what made it worth watching again.

I would recommend this movie to anyone who likes a good thriller. This is not horror people or maybe it is. Because isn't losing your family the most horrible thing there is?
on July 20, 2015
This is one of my favorite movies about aliens and paranormal activity that we hear so much about. This movie will definitely make you jump out of your skin the first time you watch it. They put this movie together very well and didn't ruin the ending like every other movie these days. I highly recommend this movie to people who like to be scared and freaked out. I wish more movies were like this. Just when you're not expecting it, it's there and just when you're expecting the next part to happen, it's not there. I ABSOLUTELY love this movie! This movie also has a great cast too.
on January 3, 2015
I am a total horror movie freak, but not one for the whole alien abduction thing. But I really liked this one. It was refreshing and interesting. I loved the plot, and how it unfolded. But it was very slow to start. So if you want a movie that is gripping right out of the gate you maybe disappointed. I was very impressed with the acting. I thought the two children did wonderfully. This is definitely one of the better alien abduction films out there in my opinion.
on September 29, 2013
Dark Skies is a very uneven film, sprinkled throughout with some very real tension and scares that will get your attention, at least briefly. This kind of film has been done a few times before and they're all about the same in one way or another. Dark Skies is, perhaps, the better of this genre of films; that of alien visitations and abductions and such. In the end, however, there is something generally lacking in this film. There is a perverse sense of hopelessness and helplessness at the hands of these aliens that never gets fully explored or resolved in any truly meaningful way. I get the sense that that is way that the writer/director Scott Stewart intended it. Be that as it may, it leaves the film somewhat unsatisfying in the end. I like a film with some sense of resolution. Dark Skies simply leaves things hanging with no clear purpose to it's existence. Are these beings so far advanced from us that we are little more than cattle for their use and disposal? Is our own intelligence (or lace thereof) so insignificant to them that we simply don't count for anything; that their purpose is beyond anything we are capable of comprehending? Well, as you can see, at least the film gets me to thinking a little. Quite frankly, I'm not into the whole alien thing, so it actually holds little interest to me. I am looking at Dark Skies strictly as a MOVIE experience, in the same way that I view a zombie movie. I do not take it seriously. So I am left looking at this movie as a a movie of interest, but one that is also deeply flawed in terms of overall plot, intention, etc. Stewart is among those directors who seems to take great delight in attempting to make supernatural elements appear to be as real and as probably as possible. There are many in the public who choose to believe such things as aliens and supernatural forces, etc. Stewart certainly relishes in helping them reinforce those beliefs. That is the art of the illusionist, if not the con man and hoaxter. But as a film, Dark Skies left me, in the end feeling unsatisfied and empty, wanting more of something. Still, will watch it again. It does have enough interest and delights contained within it that make it at least a very entertaining way to spend some time with. The acting and over-all production are very high quality. There is little that falls in line of the "cheesy", cheap shot here. Just bear in mind that Dark Skies has a number of moments that languish and induce a certain level of boredom throughout in spite of it's best efforts to scare. One final note: the birds attacking the house was brilliant. I believe I launched myself from the couch.
on November 9, 2017
Very well done movie that will leave you on edge. Definitely not a family night in movie unless the viewers are all at least 18 but maybe I'm just old fashioned. Strong material not suitable for children. Ominous and scary images along with unsettling circumstances, will certainly give you a feeling of dread and panic. No happy ending to this story...Highly recommended!
on October 4, 2013
Honestly, I didn't expect to like this film as much as I do. I'd seen the commercials before it hit theaters and thought it was just another "creepy kid meets spooky creatures" flick. And, to a degree, it was. But this movie made me suspend my disbelief and added a twist that I really enjoyed.

The acting was generally good and believable given the families circumstances. Although there were a couple "WTF? How did they not notice that?" moments, the majority of the film had me guessing what would become of this family.

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

While we've all seen the birds scene in the commercials, the creepiest part for me was when the mother was walking down the hallway once they had barricaded themselves in and right behind her, without her knowing, was one of the greys. His hands outstretched. I love the buildup of suspense like that and, in my opinion, this film had a lot of moments when you had no idea what would happen.

*END SPOILERS*

While it may not be a movie you'll watch numerous times, it definitely deserves a rental and a watch. Good, spooky, tense fun ahead!
on June 29, 2013
So, and yes...are 'they' trying to tell us something....Yes, in my warped mind they are. Cave paintings hundreds of thousands of years old, religious stories, The Holy Bible, The Holy Qur'an, The Bhagavad Gita, different societies and cultures around they world report "the people from the sky" came to us and taught us these things. Friend-foe? who knows. But one thing for sure is I have personally experienced events which speaks to this (unreality?) vrs. Reality.
No I am not crazy, the acting was good, the story reflects what's being reported globally. That means, for some of you...around the world. I give the movie a five star rating not so much for acting, which was good, (the kids were amazing in the movie) and the special effects also. But 5 stars for the Illuminati, the Government working with Hollywood, and the screen writers for telling us (what I see is) The truth. All around the world major countries (developing and Super Powers) have been releasing their UFO files. The United States does it with Movies, music videos (Katy Perry and Kanye West song 'Extraterrestrial') entertainment and false alleged purported 'leaks' on You Tube and social media around the world. People it's okay to think "he's mad crazy." I've seen the other side with my own eyes...I'm still alive to share this with you. Wake up, the disease of distraction has blinded the billions to this ultimate reality- The Human Race Has Been Covertly Conquered By A Power We As A People and Global Community Cannot Fight. 5 Stars for all those in power to bring us the truth to a society addicted to music, movies, videos and all social media (guilty as charged) and we have been blindly living to a reality many of us cannot cope with. This movie opens with "Two possibilities exist... Either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying. - Arthur C. Clarke; and from whats being reported around the world, and the information 'leakage' provided from Governments around the world- Is that we are not alone, and a power greater than the human race has Covertly Conquered Us as a species...and millions upon millions are clueless. I say Kudos for the risk takers in making this movie and the actors for risking their careers. Jesus the Christ said "And the truth shall set you free." And in this movie, the truth is being told....open up and believe.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
A decent paranormal thriller. Nothing terrible spooky or suprising, but, that said, it is consistently interesting enough - and the acting solid enough - to warrant a rental. Keri Russel turns in the most solid performance, and the kids were quite good - the husband I found to actually be rather one-dimensional. He kind of wears a deer-in-the-headlights face throughout most of the film, and generally turned in a semi-highly strung father character - a bit like Keanu Reeves after too many espressos. But, you could do worse, and I'd say folks interested in paranormal / alien horror, or even those who like their horror on the "lite" side, may find this one worthwhile and enjoyable.
on June 16, 2013
This scary movie reminds me of scary movies I use to see when I was younger. It relies on acting, writing and imagination.

Storyline: Not bad. A family experiences odd happenings and tries to deal with them. (I am vague on purpose).

Writing: Much better than most scary movies.

Acting: Pretty good. Keri Russell and Josh Hamilton totally carry this movie and if not for them, this movie would have been a total bomb. The two kids need a few more acting lessons.

Graphics/Special Effects: They are ok and rare. Mostly fleeting glimpses of "(no spoilers)". This is intentional.

The majority of this movie is pretty good and kept my attention. Near the ending, it gets a bit odd and difficult to follow and understand but they do make things clear in the last few minutes. I really did not care much for the last 10-15 minutes.

Overall, this would have been a 4 star movie but the ending gets a one star deduction. A total of 3 stars.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse