Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping.
Ship it to us for free.
We are unable to process your trade-in order.
About the product
- Extremely Deep, Dark & Difficult - Unforgiving in its punishment, yet rewarding for the determined - learn to strategize freely and conquer seemingly impossible challenges.
- Fully Seamless World - Explore a completely integrated world of dark fantasy where dungeons and areas are seamlessly intertwined, with great height.
- Network Play - Players may cross paths with one another, invading each other for PVP battles, or to play co-op and take on giant boss encounters as a team.
- Flexible Character Development & Role Play - As the player progresses, they must carefully choose which of their character’s abilities to enhance as this will determine their progression style.
- Community - See other real players and empathize with their journey, learn from seeing how others died, find and leave messages for your fellow players; helping them or leading them into death.
- NOTE: The use of this game requires additional hardware, specifically a PC-compatible game controller. Several of our customers have reported incompatibility with standard input devices like keyboard and mouse.
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Beware: There is no place in Dark Souls that is truly safe. With days of game play and an even more punishing difficulty level, Dark Souls will be the most deeply challenging game you play. Can you live through a million deaths and earn your legacy?
From the Manufacturer
NOTE: The use of this game requires additional hardware, specifically a PC-compatible game controller. Several of our customers have reported incompatibility with standard input devices like keyboard and mouse. Our tech team recommends the Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows. Controller is not compatible with Windows 8.
Prepare for a new, despair-inducing world, with a vast, fully-explorable horizon and vertically-oriented landforms. Prepare for a new, mysterious story, centered around the the world of Lodran, but most of all, prepare to die. You will face countless murderous traps, countless darkly grotesque mobs and several gargantuan, supremely powerful demons and dragons bosses. You must learn from death to persist through this unforgiving world. And you aren’t alone. Dark Souls allows the spirits of other players to show up in your world, so you can learn from their deaths and they can learn from yours. You can also summon players into your world to co-op adventure, or invade other's worlds to PVP battle.
New to Dark Souls are Bonfires, which serve as check points as you fight your way through this epic adventure. While rested at Bonfires, your health and magic replenish but at a cost, all mobs respawn. Beware: There is no place in Dark Souls that is truly safe. With days of game play and an even more punishing difficulty level, Dark Souls will be the most deeply challenging game you play this year. Can you live through a million deaths and earn your legacy?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
As for the game itself, it's got that challenging and frustrating feel to it, but it also feels fair and balanced. If you die, you can't say the game is "too hard" or "rigged." You die because the lack of strategy/skill or even something so simple as evading a second too soon. The game is never to blame. With that said, it's literally the only game that I've come across that has been able to challenge me.
For all the PC players, here's the default keyboard map:
Tab = dodge attack and retaliate (hardly works)
Space bar = run/jump/roll
Shift = block
Alt = two-hand your weapon
W, A, S, D = move forward, right, backward, left; respectively
E = Use item selected in utility slot (i.e. Flask)
F = Change item selected in utility slot
H = Generic attack
U = Strong attack
J, I, L, K = Look to the left, up, right, or downards; respectively
End = Open menu
Page up/Down = Navigate through menu
Enter = Select
As aforementioned, it's really easy if you get the hang of it. It does become intuitive.. You don't need a controller.
- It is an exceptionally difficult game. If you are not used to 3D action games, where positioning is very important and thinking outside the box is key, then this game will prove challenging. To the tune of dozens of deaths challenging. It is NOT poorly designed, however it is definitely geared toward those with familiarity of the product.
- Nearly impossible without a controller. An Xbox 360 or Xbox One controller would be ideal, especially because Microsoft just released official PC drivers for Xbox One controllers. That is what I use, and it has gone off without a hitch. Minus my deaths, of course.
- This is a digital purchase, which means you will not receive a physical copy. You will receive a code that can be redeemed on the game distribution platform Steam, a very helpful service, but nonetheless one you will need in order to play this game.
- The merits/traits of the game are these: Challenging boss battles, meaningful gameplay, explorable areas with tangible rewards, puzzles and a story that don't spell themselves out for you, but leave you to figure them out for yourselves, a great and intriguing world to explore, and finally a rock solid combat system.
It's hard, but it's worth it.
If you are willing to do a minor amount of tinkering, there is a community-created tool called DSFix which can change a few things about how the game runs. It allows for unlocking your frame rate as far as 60fps (going much higher may cause issues) and a few additional graphical options if you are up for it. It also allows for using custom textures (the images which are applied to the various models and interfaces within the game) so that you can customize your experience even further. It even allows you to make the interfaces larger or smaller, hide portions of it and hide your mouse cursor while in the game.
The game natively supports the Xbox 360 controller, although with third party drivers, you can use a Playstation 3 controller on your PC as well. Using this in tandem with DSFix may cause some errors, so you may need to tweak the drivers slightly for them to work properly. If you are using a Playstation 3 controller and DSFix, you can look for a texture modification which will change the Xbox 360 button icons to Playstation 3 icons.
Lastly, the game requires both Steam and Games for Windows Live to run. The game will always play in 'Online Mode' while you are connected to Games for Windows Live, unless you create a Local account OR by tricking the game client (which involves disconnecting / turning off your computer's internet connection after logging into GFWL and Dark Souls, then re-connecting your internet). If you do the latter, you will be able to play in 'Offline Mode' while still being able to use your Games for Windows Live and internet features as per usual. If you are using the 'Big Picture' mode in Steam as well as a supported controller (PS3 / Xbox 360 in this example), the Home button will trigger both the Steam Community overlay as well as the Games for Windows Live overlay at the same time. This last bit is more of a conflict between Steam and GFWL, but since Dark Souls requires both, it's essentially a potential issue with the game.
Regardless of its troubles on the PC, it is still a very solid, challenging game well worth the trouble. The use of community-created mods can make the game far more playable for the PC and indeed brings the game closer to what one would expect of a PC port.
Most recent customer reviews