Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on December 7, 2010
We've all been somewhat nervous about Cradle for a while now. Nymphetamine and Thornography were enjoyable but really subpar for Cradle. Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder was a nice save, and is actually one of my favorite albums, but many found it wanting. Then came this album, Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa. It seems everyone's giving it five stars (or one, which probably come from the people who don't like Cradle anyway; one either likes Cradle or loathes them, with no middle ground.) I agree with the sentiment: this album is very good. It brings back a certain gothic mood and... dark prettiness in the midst of the heaviness that I think Godspeed didn't quite have in the same way. I think any Cradle fan should at least like it.

But I wouldn't give it five stars. The best of Cradle's concept albums, like Cruelty and the Beast or Midian or (I would argue) Godspeed, immersed the listener far more in the story. This, I couldn't even make out the story for many listens, and now that I'm reasonably sure what's going on, it's still got holes in it that niggle at me. The best of the atmospheric works made you feel you were there, amid the monsters, beholding the dark fairytales as they unfolded around you. This is... about Lilith. And she's sexy. And a demon. And the music is cool. It's fun, it's interesting, it's engaging -- but I feel engaged with, not transported.

And the older stuff was twistedly erotic and darkly naughty. The lyrics pushed the envelope and then shredded it with feminine claws stained with blood and more intimate substances. This harks back to those days in a way Godspeed didn't, but it's less inspired on that score. We're told that sexy things are going on, and yes, some details are explicit, but that wry, spare-you-nothing wit is far less in evidence than it used to be.

I sound like a downer, and I don't mean to. This is a darned good album, and I recommend it highly. It deserves four stars.

I only talk so much about what I found lacking because -- sorry, Dani & crew -- it does not deserve five.

We know you can do it. We admire your endless willingness to experiment. Now get in there and blow us all the hell away.
on January 1, 2011
I gave this 5 stars because i love it's simplicity.There i said it.I look at many of these lengthy reviews and see so many nit-picky breakdowns all over the place.Is it really a big deal to break down every little detail about this album ??
I popped it in the stereo and was pleasantly surprised.Yes I know Dani's vocals are not the same as they used to be...who cares ? does one really expect them to be ? Who's vocals sound the same after this long anyways? I agree that the last few recent releases left a lot to be desired,but this is just pure fun to my ears.
I love the new female voice of Ashley Ellyllon.Yeah it's classic Cradle Female styling but that's what works.I applaud you professional musicians who break down all the little "issues" with song pitch and technique and all that...but for the common person (me) i could care less.I turn on my MP3 player and enjoy the ear candy.To say other bands have stayed true to thier roots,and haven't changed through the years is ludicrous...really ?? as to those who say this is pure crap...go back to your old school Cradle records..you can't compare those poorly produced ones to the ones of today.I didn't like Godspeed all that much,or the previous ones to that...i do think this is a step in the right direction.We all have our own opinnion's,that's what makes it all good..stop being a nerdy fan-boy and give Dani and co.a break.Just enjoy the product or enjoy the quiet cool of your Mom's basement...ya hear that ? dinner's ready junior !put down the joystick !
on June 24, 2016
Cradle never seems to disappoint me. Very good album.
on August 19, 2015
I like the sound on this album, the concept is awesome too…another good latter years Cradle offering…check it out
on February 6, 2016
Perfect!
on July 14, 2014
Awesome album
on November 12, 2010
I generally don't post reviews, but I feel that this CD is WELL deserving of a 5* rating from any Cradle of Filth fan. From start to finish, CoF keeps their style fresh and delivers you one of their most heavy albums with a perfect mix of melodic and haunting variations throughout. The first review by Mr. Hudson perfectly explained the CD in its entirety. If you've enjoyed ANY previous CoF works, then you will absolutely love this CD - guaranteed. After hearing this CD I am even more anxious to see them live when they come around in early 2011.

Anyways, when you're finished with reading all these 5 star reviews, support the band and purchase this album ASAP -- you won't regret it =).
on November 10, 2010
This album is awesome. I've been a huge fan for awhile now and I absolutely love it. It's kinda disappointing that it doesn't have any instrumentals in it, but that doesn't take away the power that this CD delivers. It's one of the best CD's (in my own opinion) that they have made. It's awesome from the lyrics, guitars, drums, bass, and keyboards, there all great. Fans of Cradle will not be disappointed.
on November 16, 2010
The last couple of years has seen the metal community come full circle. It saw Megadeth, Slayer and Kreator put up their best stuff second only to their brutal metal albums in the late 80's. This COF album is another feather in the metal cap after 'Engame', 'World painted blood' and 'Hordes of Chaos'. Bravo Dani for the effort, especially with all the pressure to topple the previous record 'Godspeed...' which was amazing!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
I'm a CoF fan and this album sounds great! I think it's one of their best efforts since Cruelty & the Beast.