Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services gotcatchup gotcatchup gotcatchup  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 60 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 158 reviews
on February 13, 2016
I enjoyed this book but was, at times irritated because there are so many characters you need a list to keep them straight. It caused me to pause several times just to remember what that particular character meant to the story. Even though I'd read the previous book, I had trouble remembering all of it. One reason I dislike series, if each book can't act as a stand-alone, if you've read fifty other books before resuming the series, it's confusing.
on March 24, 2016
Just finished Darkness My Old Friend, the second book in the Jones Cooper series. I finished the first book, in the series, Fragile, earlier in the week. I had never read one of Lisa's novels, but I must say she is one of the premier mystery writers of our time. Don't ask me why girls write better mysteries, but they do. And Unger's technique is unique. She runs several story lines that all tie into the untangling of the mystery, but then, there are numerous chapters devoted at the end to tying up the loose ends of each story line. Don't expect to pick up one of her books are read the last chapter first to figure out the mystery. You might have to read back a third of the way through the book to the crescendo of the mystery. But you can't put the book down until the last of the loose ends are tied up.

This was an excellent read, don't miss it.
on July 14, 2015
This is one of Unger's better stories simply because this one has hope. The story is dark, and twisted, and creepy as her stories usually are. This story explores the darkness that is in each of us. I loved the twists and turns, and how she wove all the stories together into something meaningful. Her best book so far!
on September 6, 2011
"Darkness, My Old Friend" picks up right where "Fragile" ended. Yes, my old friends Jones and Maggie are back. Jones is now retired and trying to keep himself busy helping the neighbors and facing his past. Maggies is still helping patients but plays a supporting role to Jones in this novel. A new family has come to The Hollows- a famous author and her troubled teenage daughter Willow. An old resident of The Hollows is back as well- Michael Holt, searching for his mother that went missing 20 years before. And lastly- Eloise, psychic de jour who played a key role in "Fragile" is back with foreboding insight.

I read this book in a day. That's saying alot since I am a mom of 5 who works full time and prefers to spend any down time sleeping. This book is full of characters with intersecting lives that fill the story with tension and suspense. Only Lisa can can write about so many people without muddying the water- everything was clear, every voice was relevant, and the story moved at an incredibly fast pace. It also ended with potential for more- is this Lisa Unger's new series? I hope so!
on September 12, 2012
Between reading a review for the book and starting to read it, I had forgotten what type of book it was supposed to be.

What I encountered were beautifully developed, complex, and realistic characters. Each person's story was believable - a troubled teenager who lies because she's uncomfortable with herself, a retired cop who keeps himself busy to avoid confronting his personal issues, a woman who finds herself trapped in a controlling marriage. These are flawed but relatable characters.

The writing style is fluid, engaging, and well-paced.

It was about a quarter of the way through the book that I realised this is a murder mystery. What I really liked was that the mystery was a natural extension of the author sharing the stories of the characters lives with us. There was no clunky "cleaning lady finds her boss dead in a bathtub." I was interested in the lives of these characters first, and then gradually realised that something had happened. I kept reading to find out exactly what and how it came about.

The ending felt a little bit contrived, and I also had trouble keeping track of the characters. I knew the inside of the characters very well, but sometimes it was a challenge to remember or determine how each character related to the overall storyline. It didn't help that some characters shared similar names.

Overall, the book was very well written and exciting to read. I would definitely recommend it.
VINE VOICEon September 6, 2011
In a small town called The Hollows, several individuals are on a collision course that is bound to bring devastating consequences.

A retired cop, Jones Cooper, wrestles with secrets and fears from the past, yet is compelled to seek out the darkness in the world around him.

Michael Holt has returned to The Hollows with questions about what happened to his mother when she disappeared twenty years before.

And a teen, Willow Graves, whose mother writes bestselling mysteries, struggles with the issues in her life and acts out in dangerous ways.

Then there is a psychic whose predictions might just bring all of these characters onto the same path, headed straight toward the darkness.

Darkness, My Old Friend: A Novel brings together some characters from a previous novel, Fragile (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard), and I suspect that another book set in this same town may follow.

A segment at the end tells us a lot about this story, when Jones's therapist makes a comment that sums up what defines many of these characters: I just wonder if it's not the darkness of it all that calls, you, Jones.

Unlike some of Unger's other books, this one feels like a study in the connections between people set on a path to the dark side. What secrets, betrayals, and underlying disturbances compel them? How can they each find the path to peace and serenity? Is this even possible? A page-turning foray into a world populated by individuals with shadowy interiors, I chose to award this book five stars.
on March 29, 2016
Good, not great. Some interesting characters, but their development does not elevate much as the story unfolds. The writer is talented, but tends to apply atmospheric detail randomly -- as if to say, hey, I am better than your ordinary crime writer. We all are spoiled by a handful of masterful crime procedural writers. The second tier includes many very good writers. Lisa Unger is among them and, I say kindly, better than some whose books I have had to put down.
on February 13, 2016
What an amazing story! I was slowly but inevitably drawn into each life until I couldn't put it down. And what a really nice package at the end!
on March 17, 2017
AS described. Prompt shipping thanks!
on November 21, 2014
She has done it again!!!! Mrs. Unger has managed to capture my attention and keep me guessing up until the final chapters yet again!!! New to her work but will headed to Amazon right now to find another!! Very excited to see what The Hollows and the colorful set of characters will get into next. I am wondering if we see the young life of Marla Jolts next door neighbor Mrs. Miller and find out why she moved so far from her sister and family, and how the self proclaimed love of her life married her sister or how far her infatuation with Mack took her and why!!