Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Darkwerks: The Art of Brom
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

95%

on June 7, 2002
Brom is a fantasy artist who is best known for his work on his work Dark Sun, Deadlands, collectable card games, and book covers. He stands out from Boris & Julie as well as Frank Franzetta partially for the sole reason that most of (though not all) of his portraits contain people who wear clothing, albeit usually something fetish inspired, leather and latex. He has a very distinct style, painting very beautiful moon-skinned redheads and tan wild-elven creatures, which stand along detailed landscapes that insipre the imagination. Some of his work is disturbing (though not quite as disturbing as H.R. Geiger), and mostly very dark (what would you expect from a man who listens to Nick Cave while he paints?) but all of his work is remarkably well composed and masterfully detailed.
Brom has a larger influence than many people realize, for example the evil albino in the recently released movie Time Machine could very well have come directy from the pages of Darkwerks. To get an idea of how popular Brom has become, just type in his name in any search engine (Google works best). Darkwerks is a very good collection of his art, containing very little text and allowing all of the pages to be showcased in full-sized, full-colored glory.
on December 14, 2001
There is no living artist I envy more than Brom. His paintings are phenomenal in their detail, vision and execution. Dark, erotic and exotic, beautiful, menacing, bewitching and intense, it's gorgeous stuff. But I think the thing which particularly appeals to me about Brom's work is that he seems to share the same idea of what constitutes a beautiful person (surreal and unearthly as many of them may be) as I do. The difference being, of course, that he can put it on paper while I - sadly - cannot. I like fantasy art a lot, but one aspect that I'm often disappointed with is the faces of the people. Brom gets the faces right. In fact, he gets everything right. Just as he does a wonderful representation of beauty, he also has a nice line in creepy, twisted and macabre. I'd love to step into his worlds. 'Darkwerks' is an excellent collection of his creations from various sources, very well produced and presented on high quality paper with crisp, clear reproductions. A great book on a great artist.
on January 2, 2015
If you like Brom's art, then you will like this book. The artwork is crisp, colorful, and doesn't seem to suffer from any reproduction issues. There is a brief biography, but the majority of the book is taken up by artwork. Some of the art is reproduced in half page format, but most is full page.
on September 18, 2000
This is a great collection of works. As far as pictorial reference books go, if you are a Brom fan, you will not be disappointed. The only thing you will want after this book, is more.
on October 18, 2000
When I saw that this book was being released again I jumped at the chance to finally get my hands on it..... and I wasn't disappointed! As the title suggests the works are extremely dark, some images even turned my stomach but there is no denying the talent and incredible detail this artist posesses. He is also somewhat of a contradiction, his images are dark and disturbing, yet at the same time he uses the most beautiful and inspiring colours to bring his characters to life. The book also has been published beautifully, you won't find any images lost in the fold, and the introduction is terrific, for a change they have put the artists progression from childhood drawings to today. All I can say is you have to get this book, no fantasy lover's book case is complete without it.......so what are you waiting for!
on December 21, 2002
Brom is the most amazing artist in the Fantasy genre. This book is a great buy if you love Fantasy art and you want to see a true master. Forget Frazetta, forget Vallejo, Brom is the one. This book portrays Brom's art to it's fullest. Beautiful, full color prints adorn every page, showing off Brom's masterful talent and attention to detail. Don't miss out on this one or it's sequal 'Offerings'.
on September 26, 2000
As a fellow illustrator of the genre, I have to tell you that having this book in your arsenal is a must. I can't tell you how many times I am stuck for inspiration. But all I need to do is grab my copy of darkwerk and my paint brush starts flying at light speed. In fact I use this book for inspiration twice as often as any other, including Rockwell. BUY IT NOW!
on September 28, 2000
This book is astounding. If you're a fan of Brom specifically or dark fantasy in general, you should get this book. The book itself was originally published a while ago and has been out of print for years. This book has images ranging from his early TSR stuff to his most recent - and at least one never before published piece (a beautiful female vampire). Get it!
on February 27, 2011
I personally found out about Brom from the card game MTG (Magic The Gathering: for those who dont know). My brother use to buy tons of packs, even though I never played it I loved looking at the art work, and some that I love the most were done by Brom.
-I ran across this book at a book store and as soon as my eye had passed by it, I did a double take cause the picture on the front looked so familiar I knew and once I flipped through the pages I was racing up to the front to buy it cause I knew I had to own a copy of it. The art work is beautiful even though to some it may be offensive or too "dark" but personally I am not into gothic or "dark" styled stuff but I personally find the art work just amazing and the detail beautiful. You dont have to be a fan of something to find the work exquisite and I dont find any of the stuff offensive because its someone's personal idea that was placed on paper, and if someones creativity offends, I personally feel you should get over it.
If you dont know who brom is or familiar with his work I would advise searching his images in a link before purchasing the book cause some people may write a negative review, but those who have most likely wrote it due to the fact they werent a fan of broms to begin with and had no idea of his style of art.
If I lost the book I would happily buy a new one over and over again.
on September 14, 2000
I first saw this book some years ago, but stupidly failed to buy a copy before it went out of print. I was greatly releived to see that it`s available again and have remedied my error. The art of Gerald Brom is brilliantly executed and the print quality of this book is well up to Paper Tigers usual standards. Be warned however Darkwerks is a good title for this book and anybody looking for chocolate box art should look elsewhere. If you are willing to take a walk on the dark side however this is as good as it gets.
I have made sure I didn't repeat my mistake of years gone by, as soon as the follow up volume "Offerings" hit the shelf I grabbed a copy, not as immediate as Darkwerks, Broms style has matured and his images remain as hauntingly dark as ever. It is as you would expect excellent.