"Shi introduces geological scientists to algorithms that are widely used for data mining and knowledge discovery, describes how they have been and could be applied in the geosciences, and surveys some successful applications. The algorithms fall into the categories of probability and statistics, artificial neural networks, support vector machines, decision trees, Bayesian classification, cluster analysis, the Kriging method, and fuzzy mathematics…"-ProtoView.com, February 2014
From the Back Cover
Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery for Geoscientists
Authored by a global thought leader in data mining, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery for Geoscientists summarizes the latest developments and practical data application techniques for geoscientists.
Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery for Geoscientists provides geoscientists with the urgently needed knowledge and experience to help them analyze and interpret data mining software and to select the most appropriate algorithms for a given application. In applying data mining techniques in geosciences databases and to modifying techniques for practical applications, Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery for Geoscientists addresses challenges faced by geoscientists.
- Focuses on 22 of data mining’s most practical algorithms and popular application samples
- Features 41 case studies and end-of-chapter exercises unique to the geosciences to underscore key data mining applications
- Presents a practical and integrated system of data mining and knowledge discovery for geoscientists
- Rigorous yet broadly accessible to geoscientists, engineers, researchers, programmers in data mining as well as university students and lecturers in geosciences
- Introduces widely used algorithms, their basic principles and conditions of applications, diverse case studies, and suggests algorithms that may be suitable for specific applications.
Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery for Geoscientists summarizes the latest developments in geosciences data mining and arms scientists with the ability to apply key concepts to effectively analyze and interpret vast amounts of critical information