Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ Free Shipping
Data Science For Dummies Paperback – March 9, 2015
There is a newer edition of this item:
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Back Cover
- Deduce, discover, and communicate valuable insights from structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data sources
- Use meaningful visualizations to display and interpret data
- Take advantage of data processing tools like Hadoop® and MapReduce
- Turn your organization's data into a competitive advantage
Gain in-depth insight into your business with data sciencethis book makes it easy!
Big data is a big deal. This book helps you harness its power and give your business that all-important competitive edge. You'll learn to manage large amounts of data within hardware and software limitations, merge data sources, ensure consistent reporting, and interpret the data to tell your business story in a way that's easily understood.
- Get a grip on data science understand what it is, who uses it, and what it can do
- How big is it see how big data is defined and how to handle it with MapReduce, Hadoop, and alternative solutions
- It's probable explore probability and statistics in interpreting your data
- Model ideas learn about mathematical modeling, fuzzy multi-criteria programming, and modeling spatial data with statistics
- Make it visual examine different types of data visualization techniques and learn to choose the style that's right for your purpose and your audience
- Ideal technology learn where Python®, Open Source R, SQL, or even Excel® may be the tool you need
- The sky's the limit see how data science can help solve environmental issues, drive e-commerce, and even predict criminal activity
Open the book and find:
- The basics of data science
- Ways to define big data
- How business benefits from data science
- Information about regression and clustering techniques
- Various visualization options
- Tips for designing great dashboards
- How data science is used in journalism
- Ten free data science tools and applications
About the Author
Lillian Pierson, P.E. is an entrepreneurial data scientist and professional environmental engineer. She's the founder of Data-Mania, a start-up that focuses mainly on web analytics, data-driven growth services, data journalism, and data science training services. She also covers the topics of data science, analytics, and statistics for prominent organizations like IBM and UBM.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
The author was not out to write the definitive, historical view of data science. She was trying to paint a broad stroked picture of the landscape right now that is big data, data science, and all things analytics. It is an enjoyable read and I would recommend this book highly to my friends and colleagues within the field of data analytics. In addition, I would also highly recommend those that want to start in the field review this book and come to interviews ready to talk about these resources. It will make you a much better candidate. Thanks again Lillian Pierson for writing such a great primer on data science for the masses.
versed than me in all things data related, was so intrigued he started reading it too! We are going to have to get a second copy, because he keeps swiping mine! Excellent book!
PRO TIP: follow the author on Twitter. She's super knowledgeable and tweets great stuff.
Overall: I recommend this book to anyone with an interest in Data Science. I also recommend it to those needing a refresher on the new components of the field that have evolved over the years.
Most Recent Customer Reviews