Buy Used and Save: Buy a Used "Datacolor Spyder5ELITE - Designed for Professional..." and save 32% off the $279.99 list price. Buy with confidence as the condition of this item and its timely delivery are guaranteed under the "Amazon A-to-z Guarantee". See all Used offers.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Datacolor Spyder5ELITE – Designed for Professional Photographers (S5EL100)
|Price:||$190.11 & FREE Shipping. Details|
|You Save:||$89.88 (32%)|
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Expert color accuracy solution for monitors and projectors - See, share and print your images just as you intended with confidence.
- Software designed for calibration perfectionists with dual mode operation - wizard and expert mode, unlimited calibration settings, and advanced gray balancing. Fast and easy, full calibration takes about five minutes to ensure color accuracy.
- Room light monitoring determines optimal monitor brightness so you see fine shadow detail and highlights in your photos, ensuring your edited images match your prints.
- “Before and After” evaluation of your calibration results using your own images in full screen mode to focus on the details important to you.
- Datacolor and Adobe work hand-in-hand to offer the complete package for your photography workflow. Get a complimentary Adobe Creative Cloud Photography plan - 90 day trial with your Spyder5 purchase. A redemption code will be sent upon Spyder activation.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Special offers and product promotions
From the manufacturer
Why Calibrate Your Monitor
Most monitors come out of the box with the brightness set too high and with over-saturated colors – plus they degrade over time. Another very important factor to ensure proper image editing and print matching, is having the correct room lighting conditions. Your display is the window into your digital image, you need to be able to trust it. Spyder5 calibrates your display to your environment and to an industry color reference standard to ensure your colors are accurate for better print matching. Your image editing will be easier and faster, you’ll spend less time in the 'print-edit-print' cycle, and you’ll waste less ink and paper.
Top 5 Reasons to Calibrate Your Display
- Monitors display colors differently.
- People see colors differently.
- Prints don’t match your monitor.
- Image colors are not true to life.
- Save time and money.
Room Light Monitoring
Spyder5ELITE has an integrated room light sensor that continually measures your unique lighting conditions and alerts you if there's been a change among five ambient light levels. You can then choose to either modify your calibration settings or adjust your room lighting, to assure optimal color accuracy, both on screen and in print.
True Color in A Flash
Spyder5ELITE creates a unique color profile for each of your monitors and adjusts their brightness level based on your room lighting. Say goodbye to time wasted on manually correcting your monitor’s preset settings without success. Now you can see the true colors of your photographs, both on screen and in print. Skin tones will be accurate and the blue sky you shot is going to look blue – not cyan.
Next generation Spyder technology comes with a colorimeter that's compact, portable and protected. It includes a dual purpose lens cap and counterweight, and guarantees improved tonal response with the industry's only patented 7-detector optical engine resulting in more accurate shadow detail and smoother gradients.
Easy To Use
Spyder5ELITE’s calibration process is fast and easy. A step-by-step wizard and additional advanced options guide you through the calibration process, then through evaluating your image. Evaluate your monitor’s color accuracy monthly using CheckCAL and then if needed, run ReCAL to recalibrate in minutes. In terms of calibration tools, it doesn’t get any easier.
Personalized ‘Before And After’ With Spyderproof
See the nuances that matter most with a 'Before and After' evaluation of your calibration results in full screen mode using your own photograph, or with a professional Datacolor composite image. The choice is yours. Designed for the way photographers work, SpyderProof gives you confidence that your displays achieve precise color accuracy.
Advanced Control For Matching Multiple Displays
SpyderMatch and SpyderTune are two advanced features that allow you to fine-tune all of your connected monitors by matching Brightness, White Point, and Gamma. These controls give you the ultimate flexibility to make each of your connected monitors look identical. No matter how many monitors you edit your images on, you can be confident that you have the ultimate in color accuracy and your images look the same on all of your connected monitors.
With features like fine-tune gray calibration and unlimited choices for gamma, white point, and luminance, Spyder5ELITE gives you the ultimate control in color calibration resulting in a perfectly calibrated monitor. Whether you use the simple step-by-step wizard or the Expert Console, you can be confident that you are using the best tool available to ensure the colors you see on screen are accurate and your prints match.
Spyder5ELITE includes a powerful module that lets you fully characterize your monitor, and track its performance over time with reporting. The software allows you to compare gamuts between displays and standard color spaces, analyze and graph luminance and color uniformity, map tone response curves, and measure and graph display accuracy against SpyderCHECKR color targets. These tools give you an easy way to monitor and compare the overall health and performance of your laptop and desktop monitors over time.
- Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8.0, 8.1 32/64, 10 32/64
- Mac OS X 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10
- Monitor resolution 1280x768 or greater, 16-bit video card (24 bit recommended), 1GB of available RAM, 500 MB of available hard disk.
- Internet connection for software download.
- USB port
What you get
- Spyder5 Colorimeter
- Welcome Card with software download link and warranty registration.
- Software Serial Number
- Reusable storage box
|Designed For||Hobbyist photographers seeking a simple monitor color calibration solution||Serious photographers and designers seeking a full-featured and advanced color accuracy solution||Professional photographers, studios, and calibration perfectionists seeking ultimate control of their color workflow|
|Hardware Calibration Device||Spyder5 Colorimeter||Spyder5 Colorimeter||Spyder5 Colorimeter|
|Software||4 Step Process & Interactive help||Wizard, Interactive Help, Advanced Features||Wizard, Interactive Help, Expert Console, Suite of Expert Features|
|Calibration Settings||Fixed (2)||16 Choices||Unlimited choices, user-defined, and Rec.709 for videography|
|Multiple Monitor Support||Laptops & Desktop Monitors||Laptops & Desktop Monitors||Laptops, Desktop Monitors, Front Projectors & Studio Match Assistant|
|Before & After Calibration Evaluation||Standard Datacolor Image||Standard Datacolor Image & Imported User Images||Standard Datacolor Image & Imported User Images (Full Screen Mode)|
|Room Light Monitoring||None||3 Ambient Light Settings||5 Ambient Light Settings|
|Fast Recalibration Option||None||Yes||Yes|
|Display Analysis||None||Basic||Advanced including Screen Uniformity|
Compare to similar items
This item Datacolor Spyder5ELITE – Designed for Professional Photographers (S5EL100)
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||$14.95||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Adorama Camera||Amazon.com||Motion Media, LLC||Adorama Camera|
|Item Dimensions||2.93 x 2.73 x 1.71 in||4.06 x 6.3 x 1.97 in||1.58 x 7.29 x 13 in||1.5 x 3 x 2.5 in||0.35 x 4.92 x 3.54 in|
Expert color accuracy solution for laptops, desktops and projectors with room light monitoring and unlimited settings for gamma, white point and advanced grey balancing, for ultimate control of your color workflow.
Top Customer Reviews
Don't even bother calling your professional photographer and graphic artist friends, like I did, to see if they work on calibrated monitors. Just because they don't won't quiet that voice in your head.
The least expensive version of datacolor's colorimeter monitor calibration devices, the Spyder5EXPRESS, has the same sensor as it's two more expensive models and produces the same profiles. It's limitations allow it to work only with a 6500K color temperature and 2.2 gamma, which are the most commonly used settings anyway. A little research online will reveal there is no need to spend an additional $100 for the ability to measure ambient light.
You must go online to register the device and download datacolor's measuring software. Sadly the software provides poor results, as evidenced by the negative reviews you may read. There is nothing wrong with the calibration device, only the results when used with datacolor's software. As recommended by others, download the free DisplayCAL software online for accurate, satisfying results.
Save yourself many hours of research and worry...Buy the Spyder5EXPRESS and use it with DisplayCAL's free software. Even if the results are subtle, you'll know they are correct.
The official calibration software from Datacolor does an inaccurate and inconsistent job between monitors (i.e. if you have two monitors side by side, they will very likely be calibrated into different colors), and it asks you to jump through hoops verifying which tier you have bought (express, pro, or elite). The express level offers minimal flexibility. There is no step in adjusting your monitor to match your desired white point, etc.; for example, higher-end monitors usually give you options to change individual RGB settings, Express does not take advantage of this. Though if you're after a simple "one-button" solution, then this could be it.
For advanced users, please do try out Argyll and its GUI counterpart dispcalGUI. Argyll has just updated in May to support Spyder5 and gives you all the customization options that you'd want for calibration. Just Google for displcalGUI's page, and it has a Quick Start Guide listing everything you need to know (though note, the standalone installation might be even easier than the recommended "Zero Install" route).
I returned the Spyder 5 Express, received the Spyder 4 Express, setup up Argyll + dispcalGUI (Datacolor software went straight into the trash), and a calibrated, and THERE WAS A CLEAR DIFFERENCE!! Calibrating your monitor does matter, using a calibration device matters, but MOST IMPORTANTLY the calibration software matters, and the Argyll + dispcalGUI is FAR SUPERIOR to the OEM Datacolor software provided for the Spyder 4 Express and Spyder 5 Express. I'm excited to see how much my prints might improve since I already thought they were great using the steps in my original review. Here's how to setup and calibrate using Argyll + dispcalGUI.
1) Do not install OEM software
2) Download Argyll (http://www.argyllcms.com/) and dispcalGUI standalone version (http://dispcalgui.hoech.net/#download)
3) Set C:/ path for Argyll folder
4) Install Sypder4 usb driver (http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Installing_MSWindows.html#WIN8)
5) Run dispcalGUI then Menu > File > Locate Argyll CMS executables > point to c:/Argyll/bin
6) Menu > Options > enable Show advanced calibration options
7) Configure Advance options like this (http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/870355/1#post17806610)
8) Run measurement tests and adjustment settings
9) Run calibration (in High speed since Medium speed took 1.5 hrs) then save and apply profile
*** ORIGINAL REVIEW 4/16/2015***
I have never calibrated my laptop's monitor in the approximately 2 years I've had it. My commercial prints were coming out too dark, so I purchased this product. The improvement it provided was negligible, much to my surprise and disappointment. The process of getting photos printed with accurate colors involves more than just calibrating your monitor. This is what I have learned:
1) Reduce the brightness of your monitor to approximately 50% then use "Calibrate color" (just search for it), the built-in Windows utility.
2) Download & Install your commercial printer's ICC profile. Sometimes it might be available on their website but you'll probably have to call them and ask what brand & model their photo lab machine is then use Google to find the appropriate ICC profile file (local stores of the same chain seem to have the same models, ex: Walmarts close to where I live all use Fuji Frontier DL 600's)
3) Soft proof your photos in Photoshop using that ICC profile (View > Proof Setup > Custom).
4) Save your photos in the sRGB color space (check with your printer to confirm this).
5) Lastly, but not as important as the previous steps, you can try to print a hard proof on your home printer that will attempt to simulate the final product from your commercial printer, (File > Print > Color Management: Photoshop manages colors; Printer profile = your home printer > Change Normal Printing to Hard Proofing: Proof Setup = appropriate ICC profile)
If you'd still like to get a calibration device then I'd say go for the Spyder 4 since it's less than half the price and the results probably won't be much different. I'm returning this. Argyll + dispcalGUI is widely said to better than any OEM software, but it currently only supports the Spyder 4, so I can't tell if just changing software would give me better calibration results. If it's superior hardware that you desire then get a calibrator from X-Rite which are said to be more accurate, longer-lasting, and have native support from Argyll + dispcalGUI. After following the steps above my prints came out perfectly at Walmart.
Save files for viewing on the web as sRGB which is ideal for most monitors. Others can even download your photo and get prints that are fairly close in color accuracy as well. Hope this helps!
*** Resources ***
Setup Argyll + dispcalGUI