Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 189 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 258 reviews
on February 16, 2017
If you know Dave Barry you already know you are going to get a side splittingly funny take on whatever subject he takes on, if you don't just hurry up and buy all his books and laugh yourself silly!! I got this book for a friend who had just had a daughter but even as the father of 2 boys I laughed myself silly at Daves take on daughters. One of my favourite people and authors of all time, he should be running America and all your problems would be solved!!! for a British take on houmour writing try Ben Elton, espcially his early works, brilliant people like this should be in positions of power!
on April 6, 2014
Book Review Sunday, April 6, 2014

You Can Date Boys When You’re Forty by Dave Barry

In this latest collection of humorous essays, Dave Barry again proves why he is the funniest writer alive! I mean if you can read Dave’s books and not almost collapse with laughter, I’m sorry, but you may be clinically dead.

In the introduction Dave explains the title of the book. The best explanation is that he, Dave Barry, didn’t pick the name on his own. (Note here to Mr. Barry: Sir, many of us, your fans, are stilling waiting on Moby Dave! Hint! Hint!)

Join Dave as he expounds on life with a teen-aged daughter, (he’s clueless!) what it means to be manly (remembering that most males are simply guys, a special kind of, well, stupid,) his thoughts on what women want, (that is, man doesn’t have the information.)

Move on to a semi-serious essay on death, (always remembering that Dave finds it hard to be serious,) how to talk with your wife, (Dave’s way involves walking a dog,) lessons in grammar, (your kidding, right?)

Dave then gives a lesson on air travel to frequent fliers, (your plane will never take off!) takes the reader to Jerusalem and the rest of Israel, a semi-serious piece (chasing WiFi, for example,) and Dave’s Expert Tips on becoming a professional author (major in English and get lucky!)

Any book of humor by Dave Barry is worth ten out of five any day. He is the King of Dry Humor!

Quoth the Raven…
on October 7, 2015
Those were the worst group of selections I have ever seen offered in a questionnaire. Under mood how about funny, hilarious, hysterical? Why even ask about the plot? Would you have offered plot as a choice for a Gary Larkin cartoon collection? It just doesn't apply. I guess this is supposed to be a "One size fits all" questionnaire, designed to cover the entire spectrum of novels, but if you can't at least have someone read the book before designing the questions, don't even bother. It's a total injustice to Dave Barry and to the potential readers/buyers of the book. It's a truly funny book. If you're a fan, it's a "can't miss". If you're not a fan, try it and maybe you'll become one.
on April 22, 2017
I love and need a good laugh sometimes. Not only is it healthy but lifts the spirits, and I can always count on a Dave Barry book to provide this necessary life ingredient. This particular book pokes some good-natured fun at the aging process with all its conundrums. I'm going through
this process so could especially identify with the humor.
on March 17, 2014
I used to read Dave's syndicated column in the local paper regularly until they cancelled it for an unknown reason. There is no doubt he is very funny. This book is no exception except for his Israel travelogue which I thought was out of place. He could not be very funny for fear of offending persons of Jewish persuasion, most of all his wife. It is a small book as books go and I think it took me about 45 minutes to read it. It should have been priced in the $4-5 range, not what Amazon is charging. So I am afraid I will not be reading any more of David's books unless I can can borrow them from the public library. He IS funny, but not THAT funny. I should also note that his language is a lot saltier in his book than it is in his columns. So if you are vulgarity-challenged you won't like this book.

Finally, Amazon should look into the dynamic pricing technology that Disney is using to sell theater tickets. Books like this one will sell more if priced appropriately.
on May 19, 2014
This was entertaining as all the past books I have read by Barry. This one focuses initially on a father's concerns of his daughter growing up and covers a lot of funny, modern themes in society. I found the entire book entertaining...the only drawback was the way his trip to the Holy Land was too long and drawn out. Nevertheless, he maintains his amazing ability to humor and bring the things many of us in life experience to a different, humorous light. The subjects covered in this book are: "Manliness", "What Women Want" (the ultimate enigma), ""Death", "Grammar" (where he humorously ravages the English language!), "Air Travelers' FAQ", etc., but found the part about his daughter most entertaining. I recommend this book to all of those men who have daughters...you read it and you will know why.
on May 16, 2014
Dave Barry's brilliant hilarity is nicely displayed in the early part of the book where he actually talks about parenting issues, like describing going to a Justin Beiber concert with his daughter. And the chapter at the end where he explains "How to become a professional author" is the best part of all -- had me laughing out loud repeatedly. The section where he does a side-by-side comparison of women's novels and men's novels is absolutely priceless.

Regrettably, this book is a sandwich and the bread is much taster than the thick filling, which consists of a detailed day-by-day travelogue of his visit to Israel. Yes there are some wickedly funny moments in there, but on the whole that middle section was disappointing.

Still a very good book overall and a must-read for any serious Dave Barry fan.
on April 7, 2014
I've been reading Dave Barry for more than 30 years and many years ago I found his books uproariously funny. Either he's not as funny as he once was or it takes more for me to laugh out loud. This book was much better than the previous four or five (including his novel) but it wasn't as funny as his earlier books on babies, etc. It's worth reading but if you're looking for the Dave Barry of the 1980s and '90s, it's not quite here.
on March 20, 2014
The first couple of chapters were vintage Barry...but then I found myself skipping many paragraphs...the whole Israel trip was boring to me. I love Dave Barry, always have, but this book, well, just didn't do it.
on March 23, 2017
Sort of funny. The more I read it, the slightly more funny it became. By the end, it was over. Meh.