Datrex 3600 Calorie Emergency Food Bar for Survival Kits, Disaster Preparedness, Survival Gear, Survival Supplies, Schools Supplies, Disaster Kit 25.4 oz.
|Price:||$9.40 - $69.99|
- Value Pack of Two 18 Bar packs, Total of 36 bars with 200 Calories per bar, 3600 calories per pack
- Tabletized and sub packaged for ease of rationing and storage in your survival and disaster kit
- All natural ingredients with no preservatives and superior coconut flavor
- USCG approved; small and lightweight with a 5 year shelf life
- High energy value; ready to eat; non thirst provoking
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I have had to re-order this item on several occasions to replenish my office stash as I keep snacking on the darn things.
1) The 'brick' is aluminized plastic vacuum wrapped around 18 individually wrapped bars.
2) The brick is heavier than you would expect as the moisture content is very low to allow a tightly packed food source in minimal space.
3) Due to the low moisture content you will want a liquid to drink although the bars themselves DO NOT enhance thirst.
4) Once the outer wrapper has been breached, the 5 year shelf life is no longer applicable. The individual bars are wrapped in ultra thin cellophane.
5) The 18 separate bars TOTAL 3600 calories. The Three day calculation is bases on 1,200 calories per day (3 meals a day for 3 days at 2 bars per meal).
6) For those of you who rightly observe that 1,200 calories per day is below the prescribed minimum...keep in mind these bars are coast guard approved emergency rations. They are MISSION SPECIFIC. I.E.: They were designed for the relatively low caloric consumption of sitting, inactive, in a life boat while awaiting rescue.
That fact, however, does not diminsh the wisdom of having a supply on hand for emergencies and/or bug-out ration suppliments.
One Complaint: as I mentioned before, they use a thin cellophane wrap on each bar (no doubt to further minimize bulk of packaging).
The problem is that it is a B*TCH to unwrap. If you do it wrong, the bar will crumble. My technique is to sliide the side of a pocket knife around the flat side of the bar (Much like you were honing the knife on a whet stone) until the edge of the knife catches the edge of the wrapper and then gently work the wrapper off.
-6 Days of Food
-Lasts up to 5 years.
Because McDonald's won't be there when your dying.
I suggest it for any survival kit where space is limited but still available. In other words, get cheaper bulkier stuff for your home. (Mountain House Hardtack is good there, along with some peanut butter and canned goods). This is for your car, boat, plane, or office. It's standard issue in many lifeboats. It does not require cooking and is moist enough so that it's not thirst provoking.
*WARNING!* Contains coconut, and not just a trace. Do NOT buy or consume if you have coconut allergies! I had a friend break out in hives just for being in the same room
As for the product, top quality stuff. Its smaller than i expected, which is good as its easier to pack away. Its not a bad taste at all, strong coconut flavor. also, with many of these 5 year shelf life items, you need to worry about getting one thats already a year or so into its life, but these were manufactured june 2010, giving me almost a full five years on them.
Top notch stuff.
With the 2 that did not fail, I plan to pack them inside of a hard container by themselves.
The best option, even if more expensive, would be for the manufacturer to individually wrap each bar (more redundancy), or provide a hard outer container - anything to make this more field worthy would be great.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Tastes great and I love that you can store it in the hot car for emergency food in the car.Published 11 days ago by Matt
Was not expecting the bars to be so very small, but they are for emergency's so small and portable is good. One will go in my car bug out bag and the other in my home bug out bag.Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
My husband and I just moved to Baja California. We were so fractured from our move that we were too tired to grocery shop our first night in our rental. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
It came packaged well and has the ingredients and nutrients that we wanted. We won't know about the taste until we have an emergency where we need it.Published 1 month ago by Howie
THESE ARE FOR EMERGENCIES! Simple, compact and easy to store, these are perfect for keeping in a bug out bag, car, office ect. Read morePublished 4 months ago by JD