Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 2,311 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,430 reviews
on May 18, 2017
Well written romance story. A widow who has lost her son after losing her husband 2 yrs before is trying to escape her lost feelings and chose to be the cook and housekeeper for a man & young daughter who also have a great many hurts.
The man & woman are greatly attracted to one another - but I do feel it is very common to have longings for one another, especially after their first kiss. -- BUT because some call this lust - is uncalled for. For I did not read anything in this book that made me think lust & because I have read many books - Christian and Not Christian - I know the difference between reading about two female have have feelings for one another and books that write of lust. Huge difference.
-- As for real life situation, if a man & woman do not have desires for one another - then why are they getting married.
That said ----------- this book tells of learning to lean on God, forgiveness, and overcoming the hurts you have had for so long.
on April 11, 2013
I nearly didn't read this book because of the negative reviews by fellow Christians. Yikes! Did they read the same book, or have they never lived in the real world? Most seem to think this is a love story about a strong Christian woman who falls for an unbeliever. However, it isn't. It is a love story, but its main purpose is to show the power of God in His wonderful restoration of faith. It is about forgiveness and its power and importance. I don't want to spoil the story, but don't ever think that Conor is an unbeliever.

In times of trouble, even the strongest of us can find that we have limited God to our own tidy and SMALL definition or upon a faith based upon our upbringing, not one of our own. This can lead to doubt when our life is turned upside down through loss, but the marvelous other side of the restoration of our faith leads to a new, refreshed and truer faith in God. Sometimes this path isn't pretty. This is the story told so well in this book.

I also did not see the preaching that others saw. I saw the internal struggle of the main character, but the explanations added depth to her character.

Another reviewer pointed out that Abigail should find her identity in Christ. Indeed that is exactly her search throughout the book. She is never searching for her purpose WITHOUT Christ, but for her purpose now that she is on her own--for the first time in her life. Previously, her purpose in her Christian walk had always been defined by her father or her husband. She never seemingly had a purpose of her very own. This is a story about her finding it.

All I can say is give this book a chance. The only reason NOT to read this book is that you are afraid to question your definition of God. Who among us who has never sinned, cast the first stone.
on June 4, 2012
Abigail Stanton is a resilient woman who held on to her faith after death claimed her husband and young son. Determined to start a new life with God's help, Abby sets out to find a job. Her journey begins at Culdee Creek ranch as a housekeeper. Conor McKay, owner of Culdee Creek, has a reputation for running off housekeepers and along with loved ones. When Abby arrives at Culdee Creek and meets McKay and his young daughter Beth she almost retreats but that still small voice turns her around.

At the beginning of every chapter, Morgan gives a relevant scripture that she wrapped the chapter around. Stanton who seemed to be the perfect Christian and most graceful lady had an inner struggle that only God could fix. At Culdee Creek Abby had her work cut out for her because McKay refused to allow her to mention God. Time along with Abby's prayers soon make progress with Beth and Conor. As soon as hearts begin to mend, an Abby and Conor make plans to start a life together old wounds are opened. Abby brought light, hope, and healing to Culdee Creek by holding fast to her faith. As God began to reconcile many lives and relationships at Culdee Creek it was Abby, the catalyst of it all, who felt as if He had forgotten her.

Daughter of Joy is a story about the forgiveness, unconditional love, and the redemptive work of Christ. Honestly, I did not know what to expect when I downloaded this book but I opened up a delightful story. I appreciate Morgan's sincerity and realistic approach to Christian fiction.
on October 25, 2015
I found this book to be hitting me over the head with its religion. I did not like the wordy dialogue between characters, arguing religion during times of high drama and stress. That didn't seem realistic to me.
I found the characters to be extremely underdeveloped and shallow from a literary standpoint. I even started speed reading toward the end just to get it over with.
To make matters worse, there weren't even enough plot twists to make the book anything other than predictable, which makes this book boring. The characters that "showed back up" were an attempt at a plot twist, but in my opinion, they underwhelmed.
Overall, I wish I hadn't taken the time to read this book.
on December 14, 2015
This book was a surprise. I got it free from one of the email promotions and truly did not expect such a deep, thought provoking tale as this. I consider myself a solid Christian, but this book opened my eyes to a few things that have been weak in my own life. I read some of the 'bad' reviews, the naysayers, but not until after I'd read the book. I've got to say, they just don't get it. They took exception to Abby falling in love with Conor while he was still in his anger against God - and Ella encouraging the match. What they don't seem to understand is that even though a woman is a Christian, a strong Christian, she's still a woman, capable of physical attraction. And Ella knew Conor's real personhood - underneath the pain, anger and hurt. She knew Abby was sent there by God to help Conor find his way back to God and faith. I found Abby to be a character that truly inspired me to strive harder and reach higher in Christ. I admired her for her honesty and her strength to do what was right, even when her flesh and her heart screamed for the opposite. I pray the lessons I learned in this book stay with me forever - forgiveness, and faith in God's full perfect plan.
on September 9, 2012
As with any of Kathleen Morgan's books, I expect an enjoyable story more than some great work of fiction. As a result this book was exactly what I expected - A heart-warming story with characters you connect with and get to watch grow and develop. :)

I agree with some reviewers that the Christian elements read more like a sermon at some points, it was definitely done more heavy-handedly than the These Highland Hills series (which I enjoyed more). However it IS Christian fiction, so I didn't object to it since frankly I want those elements albeit prefer them done with a bit more finesse.

The reason I gave the book 4 stars was that my heart simply didn't connect with it as strongly as with the last two books of the Highland Hills series. All that to say I liked it and will undoubtedly read it again, but it's not in my top choice.
on February 2, 2016
Great story line. really kept me reading. You really have to read the entire story to really appreciate everything coming together and why things were twisted as it did. Much worth the read. Although it is considered as "Christian romance" it will not overwhelm you. Not preachy. It just shows Abigail's focus and bases for her decision. People of their time generally evolved around christian charity because they were taught from young age. Not trying to convert anyone. It's just a beautiful fictional story.
And the author is not tolerating violence as one of the reviewer accused her of but rather Abigail's deep abiding Christian faith yield forgiveness to obnoxious Conrad and its that faith, and strength that came with it, draws Conrad toward her and he realizes something else in his life....
If you would like light, but great story telling and with light twists and "oh, no you didn't" moments read this one. you won't be disappointed
on September 12, 2014
Awesome story and depiction of the time period. The two main characters Conor and Abby have both been shaped by their unhappy and disheartening pasts. Abby hasn't lost her faith despite all the heartache and sorrow she's suffered, it is her lifeline. Conor dealt with numerous hardships and treated her poorly due to other women's treatment of his daughter and himself. There are ups and downs, joys and sorrows and they all need one other to heal and grow. I look forward to reading other books by Ms Morgan especially those in this series. Thank you for sharing your stories with us.
on March 20, 2017
This is a story of God's love for us even when we think we don't deserve it. It is beautifully written and its easy to imagine the location ...The characters in this story have such a love for God and have been through so much loss and pain. It is a must read.
on January 16, 2015
Thanks be to you Kathleen Morgan for writing a wonderful Christian book for your readers to contemplate. We need to be open to the plans our Father in Heaven might have for us, if we only would listen. Each of us have many of life's joys and heartaches thrown in our paths and some times the choices of what to do can seem insurmountable. But if we can open our hearts and minds to really listen will we ever find the peace that our Father can brings into our lives. This was a joy to read.