Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 104 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 224 reviews
on January 14, 2011
Okay, so this is not your normal computer book. In fact, take everything you know about computer books and throw it out the window because Dave Barry certainly did. This book is a humorous look at the booming computer age - written back in 1996. Windows 95 was the hot hot hot operating system; AOL was one of the top internet service provider - and you would be ridiculed for being an AOL newb if your ip address ended in aol.com; and the internet was shiny and new.

Humor columist for the Miami Herald, Dave Barry has lent his skewed, sometimes questionable sense of humor to a variety of topics - everything from home renovations to raising children to Binky the Polar Bear in the Anchorage Zoo - and this book is no exception. His satrical view of the computer industry and how much they looooooove to take your money is spot on - without being a complaint, he accurately describes just how quickly the computer market was changing then.

He also delves into the mysterious world of the Internet and the World Wide Web - virtuely unknown frontiers for most people back in 1996. He takes a look at different off-beat websites he researched; internet acronyms and their meanings; and the world of emoticons (like the person who isn't happy to be giving birth to a squirrel). And, because it wouldn't be Dave Barry without him touching upon, he also takes you into the world of a fictional cyber-relationship - complete with all of the emotion and insanity you feel when caught up in one of those.

I highly recommend this book to everyone - even if you're not a big computer geek. It's a funny look at an everyday object you probably don't even give much thought about until it is broken (like HARDWARE being the part of the computer that doesn't work after you spill beer on it.)

This is a great book!
on April 3, 2017
Another Gem! Dave Barry's humor is hilarious.
on January 23, 2010
This is one of those timeless humor books that holds up just as well today as it did when it was initially released 15 years ago! Dave Barry's mastery of the written word is at peak performance with this collection of columns. When they stuck the words "GREATEST HITS" on the cover, they were absolutely not lying.

Sure, some of the events and people discussed within these pages may be dated, but if you were alive for those times (or took a history class in school) then you'll still appreciate a fresh and hilarious perspective.

This book contains my all time favorite Barry column titled "Molecular Homicide" which tells the tell of the author having the flu and what happens when he is unable to get out of bed to monitor his young son's activities. This column alone is worth the price of the book. If you enjoy that column then there are plenty more that will tickle your funny bone.

This is a good starting point for anyone getting into Barry for the first time. It's a book that's easy to pick up whenever you have a few minutes and since each column is only 2-3 pages in length you can always come back to it later without having to worry about remembering what you read previously. Though don't be surprised if you find yourself reading some columns numerous times! It's a perfect book to keep in the bathroom for those quick visits, or in the kitchen for when you're microwaving some food.

If you make it through his "Greatest Hits" then I highly recommend "Dave Barry's Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need," followed by "Dave Barry is Not Making This Up."
You can't go wrong with any of his books, but I found the 3 mentioned to be the funniest.
on July 20, 2017
Barry the best writer.
on September 15, 2017
loved it
on July 17, 2007
As an Irish person, living in a small town in rainy Ireland, it is unusual to find a book by Dave Barry..(hooray for Amazon). I don't know anyone who has any idea who he is, and why should they.. he is or was(?) a journalist for the Miami Herald, and is a well known funny man in the States, and no singular Irishman or woman has any reason to know of him.. and isn't it a shame. I love funny books. I have some great ones...but Dave is one of the funniest guys I've never met. This book is full of anecdotal ravings and mad perceptions but, you know he is really so funny, you don't care if he talks of giant carnivorous fleas somewhere in the mid-west, or helping his son with a science project waiting for the ants to bite. (ME thinks him an entomologist at heart).. but he has such a funny way of putting things, that no matter what the subject matter, you will read it and enjoy it. Let's face it, in this violent, crime filled world, isn't it still nice that you can have a smile put on your face!
on January 20, 2012
The funniest book I've ever read. It is his innocent approach and strategically injected misinformation that is absurdly funny and succeeds at taking nothing at all seriously. His "rug pull" writing gags are classic and I always get a laugh when I read this book aloud to friends. After a few hours of hysteria our faces and stomachs hurt so much that we have to take breaks. I have nothing but warm feelings for this book and when I lost my copy I purchased it again, and again. I've read it at least 10 times. It is the PERFECT gift for anyone that knows anything about computers, or remembers just how bad and "lacking in standards" we were just a decade ago. It is amazing what we all put up with. One more thing: The last chapter was an unexpected romantic knockout genre change that blew me away. Dave really gets it and he really knows how to write.
on February 18, 2015
OMG. He's SO funny. I have this on the Kindle app on my iPhone, so I can read it whenever I have to wait somewhere. So much better than "doctor's office" magazines!
on August 26, 2017
Each vignette is so silly that I laughed out loud and could not read it before bed because I kept remembering the funny lines and laughing all over again.
VINE VOICEon June 6, 2015
Barry is a funny man and his observations and commentaries on stuff that we all deal with at some point in time are spot on. I laughed out loud at a number of these essays. I particularly enjoyed the one about visiting the Blue Grotto because he so very accurately nailed the experience just as he captured perfectly so many other more ordinary things that have happened to all of us.