Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

on March 9, 2017
These folks will not burn down the house, but they'll make you glad you took a break to slow down and breathe. This is good mellow unhurried pop jazz. They may never top the charts....but they're always close by within easy reach at my place!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Oh yeah, and as a bonus, you get two more added sexy ingredients....
Absolutely, positively INSANE sound quality !!! I'm not kidding- I'm music first, though I'm super into SQ, and always try to get the best pressing of stuff I like- I'm also very lucky to have a super crazy stereo that costs as much as a Midwestern house-
This is one of the best recorded discs I can think of, & I have many thousands of discs...
Bonus two... All (I believe) original, cool, funny tunes-
This has it all... A killer female vocalist, great lyrics, & SQ to die for... demo SQ...
Run, don't walk to your keyboard now, & buy this puppy !!
David
on April 7, 2013
I've written several reviews for Amazon, and I've read my share as well. In the music reviews I write, I never delve deeply into the nuances of variances in chord usage from one album to another, or how the vocals are either more or less witty than a previous album. That's not my style. That's scientific analysis, not a review of an artistic endeavor.

Dave's True Story (DTS) plays a wonderful, light be-bop jazz that combines David Cantor's lush Hollow Body Guitar, and Kelly Flint's piercing vocals. To those of us who are familiar with DTS, Ms. Flint's vocals sound and style are charastic of her, and recognizable anywhere. The lyrics are always as much of a joy as the music itself. They are mature, witty, and often combine the light and the dark in one song

If you want beautiful, mature music to fill your environment, then I must recommend Dave's True Story. They're wonderful.
on December 9, 2002
Many people are content to listen to songs whose lyrical complexity ranges all the way from "Ooh, baby" to "Ooh, baby, ooh". And there's nothing wrong with that. But sometimes it's nice to have a change of pace and try something a little more daring and sophisticated. With Dave's True Story, you'll find references to Tutankhamen, mermaids, and rocks impacting skulls. And also eggs made of "rare Siberian wood". I'm still not quite sure about that last one, but evidently it has something to do with bondage. So I guess this album deserves an adult rating.
David Cantor writes the lyrics, Kelly Flint provides the vocals. (Cantor also takes an amusing vocal turn on "Flexible Man", an ode to kink.) He notes his influences as including Tom Waits, Lyle Lovett, and Steely Dan's Donald Fagen. Together, Cantor and Flint create a smoky and sly sound with retro jazz/standards roots, music that doesn't take itself altogether seriously but that rewards the careful listener who wants to feel their college education counted for something.
This release features some bonus tracks, including an updated version of "Crazy Eyes". (Evidently, this song and "Sequined Mermaid Dress" were featured on the soundtrack to "Kissing Jessica Stein", an indy film of a year or two ago.) I did not find their covers of "Fever" and "Blue Moon" to be too compelling, but I did like the instrumental work on the former.
Be that as it may, if you're looking for something a little bit intellectual, a little subversive, and a little naughty, this is an excellent album to buy. Just let me know about those rare Siberian wooden eggs...
on December 9, 2017
Excelent!
on October 7, 2004
Kelly Flint and Dave Cantor! Wow! Love the hypnotic sound. The lady can sing. If you're having a bad day and are stressed out (not a good thing at all, as we know by now) this is the kind of mellow-sounding rock that can take that stress away and make you feel pretty good about things after all.

I only wish that these talented artists would create a few more albums.

Own three of their CDs and love all three!
on February 21, 2014
DTS is terrific fun. I wish they did more of their releases in 24 / 96. The first one for Chesky was just magical.
on November 6, 2005
I never thought I would give 5 stars to an album like this, but it is really excellent. I am not a fan of soft listening music (Kenny G, etc.), but this is a fave of mine.
on August 7, 2002
I cannot find enough superlatives to describe this cd. That I waited so long to get acquainted with this group's unique music is my loss! Not easily characterized, other people have described this as jazz/noir/lounge music. It doesn't really matter what you call it; I haven't stopped listening to it since I first heard it at a local store's listening station last week. David Cantor is an expert songsmith. He MUST be the best lyricist in contemporary America. Witty, intelligent language that he even manages to rhyme! Many of the songs are perfect little gems of human stories. And in his music, he has created the perfect accompaniment to his words. Furthermore, Kelly Flint wraps her voice around the words and music so well that you feel as if she's living each song. She has impeccable phrasing, timing, and inflection. What a great song interpreter! Besides Mr. Cantor's songs, the standards "Blue Moon" and "Fever" are included here. Ms. Flint's version of B.M. is the first one I've been able to listen to without cringing. As for "Fever," Peggy Lee's and Shirley Horne's versions pale to Ms. Flint's. If you're temperature doesn't rise when you hear this track, you'd better check your pulse to see if your heart is still beating!
on September 14, 2014