Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Def Leppard All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on August 24, 2017
Worth every penny - very accessible - does not overwhelm with too much detail. Gets right to the basic operations, options and controls. Answered questions that I had been unable to resolve with much weightier books and online inquiries. A bit too big to fit in my camera case when I also use it to carry my camera; but, given the amount of coverage and my need for reasonable size print, that is a bit of a niggle. It folds open on a wire ring spine, uses fairly stout, water resistant paper - so it does more than qualify as a "Field Guide".
on January 14, 2013
Like Alec Baldwin said in "Beetlejuice": "This thing reads like stereo instructions!" That's how most camera manuals are. They tell you the technicalities of how the buttons and switches work, but they don't tell you how on earth that translates into good photos.

This book is what you want to learn why bracketing is important for HDR photos, why you would use Exposure Lock, and the like. It's not a book on photography, like the Dummies guide, for instance, but it does explain each setting and what kind of photos it's meant for. I also learned about the calendar feature on my Nikon D90 - who knew there was a calendar?

This book is spiral bound, with a cover over the spiral, so it's easy to fold back to the page you're reading with a flashlight while your camera is on the tripod, to figure out how to photograph the moon. The pages are laminated, so pluff mud from the marsh inlet where you're trying to take shots of Great Egrets doesn't mess up the book. It's also easy to follow with simple explanations.
on December 8, 2011
This little guide book is excellent. The information is just what you need when you are in the field trying to do something different with your D90 than you usually do. I know that at times when I am out taking photos I run into situations where I need to do something with my D90 that I know it is capable of, but I just can't remember how to do it. That's where this book is at it's best. It is a great quick reference guide that has just the right amount of detail to get you where you need to go. It's size is small enough to fit easily in my bag, and it's spiral back lay open design is great when your hands are full and your trying to read about the problem your dealing with. In the past, I have tried to make do with the plastic coated quick reference cards. The print on them is small, the information is very limited, and I always have trouble getting the imformation I need from them. This reference manual works much better for me. For a more professional photographer that uses all of the features of their camera on a frequent basis, this book is probably not needed. But then they probably wouldn't be using a D90 in the first place. I think the Nikon D90 is the best DSLR in it's class, and this book makes it's many features more usable and usefull.
on February 24, 2016
David Busch writes a wonderful field guide. I used the one I have for the D70s constantly and will use the one for the D90 every bit as much. He is very informative and easy to understand; never too technical. He writes for beginners and experts alike. Everyone can learn a lot from this book and continue learning for as long as you have the camera. I don't go anywhere with the camera without the book.
on October 16, 2011
This is a greatbook when you want to learn more about photography and your personal camera. All the features and methods are there, but are scattered all over the book. It's not a manual to follow step by step. I read it all, page by page, to get the comprehension and then follow up on it with camera in hand. I highlited all the important tips, but still have to jump around to make my camera function the way I want it to. It gets frustrating at times and author warns about it. Why he chose to write it this way, I havent been able to figure out. The tips, methods, facts, and tricks are all there, but you have to search for them, and pluck them from different parts of the book. It's like having a very knowledgeable teacher that knows his subject, but doesn't know how to teach it, and only the brilliant minds grasp it. I didn't appreciate his personal jokes either. I hate to filter out when he's serious and when he's not. Just give me the facts, Sir.
on December 8, 2011
The last SLR I owned was over 30 years ago. When my little Petry,(nothing automatic),died it was about 15 years old. So I decided not to have it fixed and went back to a point & shoot. There just never seemed to be money enough to purchase another SLR during our child rearing days. When our Granddaughter came along I decided that was a good reason to upgrade to a new DSLR. I was afraid I'd forgotten most of what I had learned and knew nothing about the new digital cameras. This book came highly recomended, so I purchased it. David Busch's book was made for me. I went through this book like a study book. Sections highlighted, notes in the margins, even several noted book marks for quick review. When we travel, I take the book. Even if you are not new to DSLR this book is a great intrduction to the Sony DSLR a390. I highly recomend it.
on September 12, 2012
This book saved me from becoming one of those people who never really knows how to use their camera. The manual that comes with a camera is a function guide. It does not take the first time owner of a digital camera into the difference between shutter speed and aperture opening. I could not believe my luck in finding this guide specifically written for my camera!

It explains each setting on my camera and how it effects the pictures. It is user friendly, even for a beginner. If you own one of these Sony digital cameras and you are new to photography beyond the point and click level, YOU NEED THIS BOOK. It is well worth the money.

Be prepared to have a lot more fun with your camera!
on April 17, 2016
Pretty good field guild. I like it.
on March 3, 2017
Excelent
on May 22, 2014
The Field Guide for the D90 covers everything, but doesn't go into as much detail the Guide. I find both books indispensable. HOWEVER, the Field Guide arrived looking like it had come from the local library book sale. The cover was dog-eared with the adhesive from a pricing label still visible. The spline had been improperly folded. The Field Guide's condition was not what I've come to expect from Amazon.