Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 105 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 115 reviews
on September 6, 2010
Simply put: if you are going to get one book on the Canon 7D, this one should be it.

I ended up trying almost every 7D book out there and this is by far the best. Other books either come off as being a very generic source of info that could have been written for any camera or, on the other extreme, simply a rehash of the user manual. David Busch's book is right where you want a book like this to be. It does a great job of teaching you how to use the advanced functions you find on the 7D to better your pictures. Where other books get stuck on teaching you about aperture and shutter speed, this book assumes you know the basics and teaches you about the sophisticated new auto-focusing system present in the 7D. Finally, a book that is written specifically for the 7D, but goes beyond what you find in the user manual.

The book starts with several basic chapters to get you acquainted with the camera, including a quick start guide. It then moves into "beyond the basics" chapters to teach you about the metering modes and how to attain a good exposure from your 7D, mastering the autofocus modes, and shooting movies. The book then goes into customizing your camera so that you are ready to shoot exactly how you want to shoot, a good chapter on lenses, and how to work with light (continuous vs flash, and using the new wireless flash controller). It then ends on a couple of "Enhancing your experience" chapters that go into downloading, editing, and printing and then a chapter on troubleshooting and preventing problems that might arise with your 7D.

Overall, it's very good and well-worth the read for anyone who has a 7D.
on January 12, 2014
Busch is an excellent and well organized writer and provides much useful information on how to get the most from this fine camera. Canon provides a fat little manual w/the camera. It's a good manual--as far as it goes. In general, it details HOW to use the camera's controls in such situations as portrait, landscape, action. Busch does that and goes further to tell u WHY.

For example: Picture Styles. The small Canon manual--the size of a smart phone--covers them competently in six dense B & W pages. It does provide some "why" info. However, Busch's large format book--the size of an iPad--provides much more w/14 colorful and clearly written pages.

If yr considering the 7D, I'd definitely make the Busch book part of the package. The 7D is a fairly intimidating camera. It's built like a tank and packs a bewildering array of great features. This book will smooth out the learning curve.

I don't find any cons in this book. It doesn't pretend that it's going to make u a great photographer. Only experience can do that. It's simply a useful expansion of the standard Canon 7D manual and, in that way, will enhance yr experience w/this camera.
on September 9, 2010
For Canon 7D users, this is the reference book to have. The 7D is the industry's first pro quality APS-C size sensor DSLR camera. I upgraded from a Canon 20D 5 months ago and couldn't get the information I needed to maximize the capabilities of this camera from the owners manual. Dave Busch's book gives me the information I needed. Whether you're upgrading within the Canon line or using the 7D camera after using other manufacturer's cameras, this book gives you the information you will need in an easy to read, very understandable style with extensive use of full color information. The 7D takes amazingly beautiful pictures if you understand and use its extensive capabilities correctly. The 7D's new professional quality focus system is thoroughly described along with live view. The book covers taking HD movies and the extensive menue options built into the camera. I rated this book a 5 star because of it's easy to understand style and it's the best camera operating book I've ever used.
on May 10, 2013
I found this book very helpful, filled with information for all levels of photographers. It has helpful tips on lens choices, too, and the illustrations have helpful information that has labels when needed. This isn't one of those books you eagerly wait to get just to say, "I could've read the manual!" The information here enlarges upon and adds to the information in the camera manual. It is also written in easy to understand language. The one drawback to this book is that it isn't as portable as I'd like and not as portable as it could be. For example, the illustrations of the camera menus and a photo of the side of the camera showing the ports for the cables take up almost half a page. It's nice to have the menus larger than I can see them on the camera, but not to this extent. I keep thinking if only the pictures were reduced, the book could probably be 1/3 less in pages and weight and I could carry it along on longer treks. It's a little wider than a lot of hardback books, too. The quality of the paper is great - thick and non-absorbent. I'd recommend this to anyone who can remember what's in the book while they're out shooting or to someone who doesn't mind adding a heavy book to their camera bag.. The tradeoff in good information can be worth it.
on July 8, 2011
A few years ago, when I bought my first DSLR the Canon XSi/450D, I ordered a couple of books on it and found David Busch's book very informative, helpful and most of all, readable. I hardly ever needed to look at the Canon manual. For my old eyes, the Canon manual is not the first choice.

And now I got the Canon EOS 7D a couple of weeks ago, I immediately ordered both of David Busch's books. His 7D Field Guide is a concise reference, very handy and pretty comprehensive. I did take a quick look at it and kept it aside for occasional reference whenever I need it.

His Canon 7D Guide to Digital SLR Photography has 473 pages. Happily its a very readable guide and trust me, unless you are an old hand at DSLR's, you need this book. I have read about 200 pages already, and do find quite a bit of stuff which I know well enough, but more information specific to the 7D, which is absolutely a must-know. I have used the XSi for about 3 years and being familiar with Canon's system, I was able to set-up and start using the 7D right away without cracking open the manual. But I could see that the 7D is a whole new, complex, sleek, different animal. For example, its Auto-Focus system is perhaps generations ahead of the now pokey (comparatively) auto-focus ability of the XSi. A bit of hand-handing is nice so I can take full advantage of a variety of new features in this camera.

There is a lot of material in this book which applies to DSLR's in general, not necessarily specific to the 7D. I love reading books, and the extra material i.e. a discussion of what is Phase Detection mode, Contrast Detection mode, etc.. well, I find it interesting and informative. One doesn't need to understand all this to use either of these modes in the 7D, though. But there is other general information about using DSLRs in the book, which new-bies will surely find useful.

I got the books the day after I received my 7D. Using my old 2GB CF cards with the 7D, I realized I would need faster and larger memory cards (the 7D takes 18 megapixel JPegs and much larger RAW pictures, and the burst mode takes 8 frames/sec). When the books arrived, I took a quick look to see what David Busch recommended about the speed/size of the memory cards. There was no specific recommendation. So I emailed him with this question, and he responded with info about what type, speed, size and brand of CF cards he personally uses.

Bottom line, this book is an excellent guide if you don't mind a detailed guide with the author's recommendations and sometimes his personal choice of settings (he explains why) plus other general DSLR information, information about lenses, etc. Remember, even if you are a newbie, you will probably at some point need some information about available lenses and what to get, etc. If you need just a compact guide to the 7D, then get his David Busch's Compact Field Guide For The Canon EOS 7D.

The Field Guide is probably the book you will continue to use for reference long after you have become very familiar with the 7D. To start with though, I recommend that you read this full guide to really understand all the features/menus/custom functions/buttons, the author's explanations, recommendations etc. This is a new generation camera with very complex features that one needs to understand to use it to the maximum. Remember, this DSLR is even more advanced than the full-frame Canon 5D Mark II which, like its predecessor the 5D, a legend.
on June 18, 2014
I use my Canon 7D on the side while I am on my fishing charters here in Florida. Not just for my clients photos but here on the wildlife refuge/MINWR, so at times I have chances to get some very nice bird shots as I am fishing too. I knew the Rebel xsi/450D(Have his 450xsi book too) and others but this is a very good guide for the more advanced settings and taking advantage of the full potential this camera has to offer. This book will take you and make a beast of photographer with it.

It is very easy to follow and takes the owners manual that comes with the camera and simplifies it basically.
Captain Drew Cavanaugh
on February 18, 2013
This book, as other camera guides by this author, is "must have" for anyone wanting to more fully understand their camera. The helpful tips & suggestions can be priceless. I consider David Busch's guides the best way to get familiar with a camera even before purchasing it. They contain 10x more useful info than any manual that comes with your camera.
on October 25, 2010
You definitely need as book that goes beyond Canon's little guide, and this books seems the best. Not perfect.
Throughout there's button this or selection wheel that. Certainly if you haven't the camera in front of you, you wonder where that button is - top, rear?. A fold-out page that you can keep open, showing and naming all these buttons and dials would be handy. Now you have to leaf through the book to find it on various pages.

On page 92 we are told to press the Quick Control button. There is a quick control DIAL, whown on page 58, but no such button. It has a button in the middle, but that's called the SET button. Is that what you mean?

Cross-references cannot be avoided in a book like this. We are referred to a chapter, not to a certain page. So the book now has many pencil marks added, showing what page.
On page 91 we are referred to table 4.1 - which is not the same as figure 4.1 - what we're looking for is actually on page 76. Now is that so hard to mention?

Some things still puzzle me. Why and when should be use the Program mode, for instance, rather than the creative auto mode? This gets relatively little attention on page 28, again on page 76 and 91. More pencil marks!
I could go on: selecting a focal point is discussed on page 33, also on page 121.
You will not be surprised that there are now pencil marks on both pages, referring to the other - since "go to chapter 8" still means leafing through lots of pages.

Concluding: the book helps you along auite well, but you need an extra roadmap to find it all. Or a pencil.
on January 25, 2014
I chose this rating because of the professional manner in which the book was written with a touch of humor, and the very detalied information chronicled therein. Yes, well written and easily understood. Hence the reason for my rating.
Yes, I would recommend this book to anyone who has or is interested in an Canon EOS 7D and need to know about the camera's functions and capabilities before/or after purchasing same. This is a GEM. VERY AWESOME INDEED. GREAT! EXHAUSTIVE COVERAGE. Extremely very glad I purchased the book.

Ranrobs
on September 6, 2011
I first became familiar with David Busch's photographic books when I purchased my first ProSumer DSLR a Canon 40D . So when I bought my 7D I did not hesitate to purchase this book. The structure of the book allows you to either read the short description of the Menu function and settings or delve into the deeply technical latter paragraphs covering the topic in more detail. The chapter on wireless flash allowed me to master this complex subject in a very short time and extend the range of my flash photography significantly. This book is a must have to fully utilize the extensive features of this sophisticated camera. I also purchased the spring back compact guide 7D guide for my camera bag. This compact guide is very handy for recording your current setting for quick refrence