Red Dawn (Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
So says a character in Red Dawn 2012, succinctly summing up the movie. This film purports to be a remake of John Milius's 1984 cult classic about a group of American teens who band together to fight back against communist invaders but don't be fooled. In reality Dawn 2012 is a poor man's version of the Red Dawn inspired missions from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (where the Russians invade America).
Dawn 2012, like too many blockbusters, feels like a movie assembled by a committee to say nothing and offend no-one, to be as safe and commercial as possible. I am glad to say that in this case second guessing the lowest common denominator didn't pay-off and that Dawn 2012 flopped at the box office. The original Red Dawn isn't a perfect movie - the script is a bit disjointed and the acting could be better - but at least it has convictions. At least it takes some risks. At least it has a director who is passionate about the material (which he also co-wrote). And it shows in every scene of the film.
The original Red Dawn is a celebration of rugged individualism and ordinary people rising to the occasion; the remake, not so much. In Dawn 1984 the heroes are average kids. But in the remake the kids are led by a marine. In the original the characters live off the land as best they can. In the remake the group are never far from occupied civilisation and steal food from a miraculously open Subway. In the original as the war wears on the characters get dirty and get tougher. In the remake everyone always looks perfectly made up and no-one ever has to make any truly difficult decisions. The original is pretty damn cheesy and unrealistic in places, often endearingly so, but it's just as often shocking and provocative.Read more ›
My reasons for giving the movie a "1 star" rating?
1. The original was made at a time when real tension existed between the U.S. and Russia. That anxiety over armed conflict between the two is minimal at this point, and not on the radar screens of the vast majority of Americans. Basically, it's not timely.
2. Aspects of the original are changed for no apparent reason, other than to make the film possibly less offensive to some groups. Example? In the first film, most of the invaders were Cuban. North Koreans are not likely to feel incensed at the release of this turd though, owing to the fact that it will never air in their country, except in the context of torture possibly. Also, you can't help noticing the "wolverteens" were "diversified" to make it more "modern".
3. As is common now, the cast is made up of skinny jean wearing hipsters, that look like they have spent considerable time in the hair and makeup department minutes before filming. What little dirt you see on them, looks applied. If you want realism, wouldn't it make sense for the characters to look a little more ragged?
4. The characters are incredibly generic, and the acting is flat.
5. The action was cartoonish. Surprisingly, in real life, people can't outrun explosions or bullets. I think they used some old "roadrunner" episodes as a technical reference.Read more ›
Now I went into this movie being a very big fan of the original and had just recently re-watched it again, for perhaps the 30th or 40th time, in anticipation of this remake. So I would have to advise you, as you are reading this review, that perhaps I am a bit jaded and prone to favoring the original version of this film. Now having said that, I did like this film and I feel that it does the original version some justice, although this film just didn't seem to have the heart that the original film had.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Great movie about something that is a real possibility that we are not prepared for.Published 6 days ago by Amazon Customer
Great to watch, if you liked Patrick Swayze in first production, you'll love the intensity of this. Set in my old home town is an added bonus. Read morePublished 17 days ago by D K Smith
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Digital Copy
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > DTS
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > MGM Home Entertainment > All MGM Titles
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > MGM Home Entertainment > All MGM Titles