- Hardcover: 432 pages
- Publisher: Hendrickson Publishers (May 30, 2004)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 156563845X
- ISBN-13: 978-1565638457
- Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 1.2 x 8.7 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 3.9 out of 5 stars See all reviews (7 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #7,904,974 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Day by Day with the English Puritans Hardcover – May 30, 2004
See the Best Books of 2017 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Customers who bought this item also bought
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
I recommend "Voices from the Past" edited by Richard Rushing for a Puritan daily reading. It has twice as many words in each day's reading and is a genuine hard bound with stitched binding.
1. It is collection of 74 English Puritans! Incredible assembly of English Puritans, some we know (i.e, John Owen, John Flavel), but some we have never heard of (i.e., Obadiah Sedgwick, Samuel Doolittle). So each day, you have a different Puritan speaking to you about God and us.
2. The contents are diverse. The book covers about faith, spiritual growth, temptation, holiness, God's character, prayer, joy and sorrows, etc.. But contents are deep and profound. It is filled with theological and Biblical thoughts. You need to plough through their writings. But it is worth it.
3. Each day is arranged with a verse and then a relevant words of a Puritan. Some are long (fills the whole page), and some are short (fills half of the page).
4. There is a brief introduction to English Puritans so that you will have some background knowledge. Also, at the end of the book, there are two helpful sections:  Sections of Readings. Each day is cataloged with where the writing came from, so you could look further, if you wish.  Brief biography of 74 English Puritans. This is very helpful.
5. The book is sturdy, and the pages are high quality and tightly glued to the spine (although I wish that it was Smyth-sewn, it is not).
Overall, I am certain that you will like the book, if you are looking for something meaty and historical. But if you are not into Puritans, then you might want to skip it.
This book also introduced me to some Puritans who were new to me, such as Vines and Alleine. I hope to read more of them in the future.
If you admire the Puritans, you can't go wrong with this book.