Industrial Deals HPC Children of Blood and Bone Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 3, 2012
I read Jon Acuff's book Quitter in the spring. It was an interesting book that had many pointers that I could use. Maybe people referred to Dan Miller's book as having more substantial and sequential instructions on how to accomplish your goals. So I got his book next. First lets be clear. This book is not a magic wand or lottery ticket. Its not going to automatically give you what you want. What the book does accomplish is to help you realize why you aren't happy with your job and how to determine your innate potential.

Miller destroys the myth that work sucks, everybody hates their job and everyone is looking forward to retirement. That was the way I was raised. It was the way my parents were raised, my grandparents, we can go on and on. Reading the book helped me understand my feelings better. Then it went beyond that. He does give you guidance on how to go about doing what you love.

I have to disagree with the gentleman who gave the book a 1 star because he "couldn't quit his 6 figure job because...." and Dan Miller doesn't give him a solution. Its not really his job to help you figure out how to make as much money and pay off your debt. Its really his job to help you realize what you really want to do and how to go about getting that job. He gives a great example of the ER doctor who wanted to drive trucks. I'm betting he had as much debt and made as much money as the attorney. The ER doctor doesn't quit his job completely and throw away all of his schooling, he worked part time on the weekends in the ER, when he wanted to and spent his week days happily driving a truck.

It really comes down to what do you want to accomplish and what are the steps necessary to do that and this book meets that criteria. So you can spend the rest of your life talking about what you can't do or you can change course and realize what you want to do.
0Comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 21, 2015
The book totally changed my job search habits and helped me to be more of an initiator in the process. Also helped me to focus and envision the career lifestyle that I actually want and am excited about creating. Totally changed my perspective from that of an employee looking to be chosen to that of an amazing, gifted, creation of God creating my life through my choices including my choice of work. I couldn't stick to the prescribed 48 day path, but I finished the book and challenged myself with the questions at the end of each chapter.
on September 9, 2013
I do recommend this book for anyone who is looking for a job or what to do about work. This book is a great resource and I let fellow job-seekers borrow my copy as needed. The chapters on interviewing and pursuing career opportunities are, as the author suspects, the best parts of the book and great assets to have.

The only drawback that I found in this book may be particular to me; basically, I found the author overly optimistic about how everyone should find work that they love. I think that cleaning toilets is a necessary job that someone has to do, but I strongly doubt that someone cleaning toilets will get up in the morning, be passionate about clean flushes, and call themselves a 'sanitation engineer.' I think that janitorial work is fine, honorable work (I've been a janitor myself), but I'm not as certain as the author is about people discovering that mining, cave diving, janitorial work, or other dangerous occupations are people's dream jobs that they love. Perhaps I am wrong and this is just what you think or need; in that case, enjoy the book.

Even if you agree with my gripe, the book is great to have and will serve you well.
on December 31, 2012
By working through this book I found that my growing dislike of my current job was due to our change in facility. The larger facility doesn't allow for the interaction with my team that I need to be satisfied with my job. The new duties also eliminate a great deal of the creative and training aspects of my job. Before reading this book, and working through the various chapters, I did not realize how much this affected my job satisfaction. Now, I've taken on projects to increase the creative outlets at work, and a side job after work for more of the same. I work harder at the interactions, since the building is not going to cooperate, and that is paying off as well. Whether you need a new job, or need to tweak the one you have into a job that is as good for you as it is for the company, I can recommend this book as a good starting place. The working world changes fast, this book gives guidelines on knowing yourself well enough to make informed decisions, you don't need to stay in a rut. And you certainly don't have to be unhappy with your work.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 21, 2016
I like to read books that look like they will halp you grow. In many cases, these books simply string together ideas I have heard or others have shared. It is rare that a book is filled with great ideas and unique ways of looking at things - this book is filled with both. I read it through once, and will be starting over from the beginning tonight to be sure I pulled out all the best nuggets. I look forward to the next book by this author.
on December 12, 2015
Well, maybe it's because I've read so many other books of this type ... but there's a lot of same ol', here. Interesting, though.

If you -- like us -- are an aficionado of the tried-and-true "What Color is Your Parachute?," there isn't much new, here. One glaring 'error' I see is something a lot of people assume, but is simply not the case (at least nowhere in the real world we and our friends inhabit): if you are an out-of-work professional, you are NOT going to get a job by talking to a manager at a burger joint or with the receptionist (who will not magically summon the hiring manager you need) at company ABC.

The excuse at the burger joint is: "The minute something in your career comes up, you'll be gone." You mean, as opposed to the person who gets enough for a couple of car payments and leaves? What's the difference?

The response at a company's front desk (or, increasingly, at job fairs)? "Apply online for a specific job." Sort of tough to get the insider view, that way. Even when my husband was trying to get OUT of a career, he couldn't find a job in another industry where he was highly qualified. You can't convince the hiring managers you're serious.

Now: having said all that: if this is your first foray into this type of book, go for it. But if you've been at this for years, maybe not so much, or grab the Kindle version and use the TOC to find chapters which will interest you.
on January 17, 2015
One of the best business books I've ever read. I love how the author clarifies that yes, you can have a job you love, but it will require time, effort, and planning. I also like that he gives some realistic perspective on the truth about having your own business. Not everyone can be their own boss no matter how great that sounds in theory. A very good read for someone who is malcontent in their current career but willing to suck it up, change some things in their life, and go a different direction.
on February 11, 2015
I'm not sure after reading this whether I know what I want to be when I grow up but my job search is reinvigorated and I want to do more to explore my mission on earth. The author definitely inspires positive thinking and a more creative approach to work.
on January 14, 2018
This is a great book!. I have actually ordered several and give them away when folks need it. Highly recommend for anyone that feels like there is a work life balance issue.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 3, 2010
This book has changed my life. Thanks to Dave Ramsey for recommending it. In this book Dan Miller tells you that its ok do do what you love. As a kid I was in love with big rigs (18-wheelers). But I allowed society, teachers, counselors, and even parents to steer me away from my dream and into college to study computer science and then mechanical engineering. I did not finish and ended up working in the public works sector because at least I was somewhat around trucks. After 5 years I left to go to school to finally learn to drive trucks. I love every minute of it. Shifting gears, backing, turning; its awesome. I would love to get into heavy equipment hauling and oversize loads. Bottom line-- do what God made you to do and money will follow. If you just chase money and don't love the work, you'll be miserable.