Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New playlist Christmas Soul STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Show Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Ticket To Ride

on January 17, 2016
So here's the deal this game is super fun just like everybody says so don't think my less than 5 star review indicates anything but that. We play it as a family and both the parents and the kids get really into it. High play and replay-ability, quick to learn but a LIFETIME TO MASTER and all that stuff like you'd expect based on everyone raving about it.

Observations / suggestions / etc:
- Requires a fairly big surface area given lots of cards and lots of pieces are part of this game
- Gameplay is super fast, you can get around the horn very quickly (4 players can play in 30 seconds total if they all just draw cards), so don't think you're going to be getting up to get a drink after your turn or anything. Or checking phones seriously just put them away. Good to agree on a set "break time" or something
- Total game time is also pretty fast but not silly fast. An hour or 90 minutes or so.
- If you play with people who are sneaky you should think about wearing sunglasses so they can't see where you are looking on the board because it might give away your strategy if they could tell where you are focusing
- If you're playing against people who don't wear sunglasses try and watch their eyes so you can see where they are looking, it may give away their strategy and you can swoop in and take their routes and win the game that'll teach them
- The spot labeled Duluth is clearly in Minneapolis/St Paul and *everyone* who you play with from Minnesota will point it out
- I recommend some sort of "card holder" thing if you play with younger kids and/or people with smaller hands. We have some wooden boards with slots cut in them to hold cards and they help a ton in this game (and others). I put a picture of that up.

My only real critique of this game - and the reason it's 4 not 5 stars - is the board doesn't sit especially flat. You can see in the pictures I attached. At times you have what seems like a million little trains on the board and just having the board not sit flat makes it seem a bit cheap. This is all about MANUFACTURING quality however, not about GAMEPLAY quality.
review imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2016
Great board game. If your tired of 'bored' games like Monopoly, Candyland, and Chutes and Ladders, but still want a fun family game you should check this out. I read lots of reviews and decided to give this one a try.

The game play last 30-45 minutes, setup is quick, and easy to learn. If you have all new players, playing the game one time should give you a good understanding. We had kids as young as 8 playing and it was fine. The strategy can change each time you play, or you may have to change during a game if your plans get blocked. With all the other options and addins this game series has we went with the original and figured we could branch out if we like it. I think we will be adding to the collection next winter, with more Ticket to ride games!
on January 4, 2016
I first purchased this game in 2006 when my husband and I were dating. He is a locomotive engineer and train nut, and I saw this for the first time at a neat San Francisco game shop. I bought it and gave it to him as a Christmas gift. He loved it and we played it a lot while we were dating. It was fun to play with just the two of us or when we had a group of friends get together for a game night. You do have to think and develop a strategy to achieve success. It's great to play with two players or several. We have given this game as gifts to other families, and this one was purchased as a gift for a family with children who are 8 and 10. They love it too.
on July 16, 2017
I have been wanting to buy this game for awhile to play on family game nights. I bought it based on reviews. At first, not knowing ANYTHING about the game, the rules were a bit confusing. It was a little frustrating because we had been looking forward to play the game. After watching a video on how to play it, the rules clicked. After the initial first game, the rest is history. The game is simple, easy and fun. It does take a couple hours to play but not as long as Monopoly. My daughter (8) doesn't like it as much as my son(10) loves it. Its a great family game to play. We love it.
on January 10, 2016
Is this the best board game ever? Yes! I fell in love with this game over Christmas break this year.

If you've never played before the object of the game is to connect train routes between cities by collecting cards. You gain points by completing routes that are drawn from the card pile. Each route has a varying number of points available. For example, some routes are worth 4 points and others up to 22 or more. Some routes have only one way in or out so there is room for strategizing against your opponent if you wish.

This game is easy without being boring. It's a great game to play on weeknight to unwind. My favorite part is that you can play this with as little as two people. The game with two people takes about 30 - 45 mins. Much faster than playing other board games with only two people.
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2013
Awesome game. I'm currently addicted to the online version of this game, but I've played the real thing as well. It's a great game for 2-5 people. Honestly, I think it's more fun if you have 3-5 players because there's more potential for your planned routes to be disrupted. When you play a computer, it's not really out to get you, I don't think... people, however, are often out to get you. You know your true friends when they relish the thought of purposefully foiling your perfect train route.

I like that it's a relatively quick game with a definite end. Some games (like monopoly) are great but there's the potential for it to run very, very long. When this game promises to be done in about an hour, it carries out that promise. Lots of replay value here because there are numerous routes. At the same time, it's an easy game to learn, so you can teach a new bunch of people how to play in just a few minutes.

The slight downside is that it's only for 5 players. We've played with 6 before by doubling up, but it's not exactly conducive to huge gatherings.

Have fun.
on February 6, 2013
I sought out a fun, imminently replayable board game that would be easy to learn and take less than an hour to play. To find such a game I visited the boardgame geek forums and found that for beginners of so-called serious board games, Ticket to Ride was the way to go.

Pros:

1. Easy to learn. My wife and I have not played many board games, but we picked up the basics of Ticket to Ride in under ten minutes.

2. High quality product. The map is made of firm cardboard. The illustrations are artistic and fit the theme of the game. The trains themselves are solid plastic.

3. Loads of replay value. There are different strategies out there, and depending on the destination tickets you receive, you have to adapt how you play that particular game. You can keep going back to the tickets to get the ones you prefer, but you always have to keep at least one card, so there is a bit of luck involved.

4. Takes less than an hour. We have young children and will often play this game after the kids go to sleep. The game time length is perfect. We can finish an entire game and still be in bed early enough.

We haven't played outside of just two people, but we can't wait to get our friends and family in on it.

Con

1. Only one con. The train and destination cards are rather small, which makes shuffling difficult. We plan to invest in the 1910 expansion, which should quell that complaint. Still, the game should come with standard sized cards.
on January 18, 2017
Really fun game! My family plays this game quite often (children ages 8 & 11). Gameplay is pretty simple, yet there is fair amount of strategy that can be used. The game board and pieces are all nicely made and fit well into the box when being stored. Would be a great addition to family game night!
on January 7, 2017
Great game for 2-4 players. Change of rules can give different spin on game. Recommend as a entertaining game for adults. Only downside is the size of the cards, which are very small and difficult to shuffle and handle. They offer a larger deck with the expansion but you need to invest another $27-$35 for those. Almost seems as intentional that the original deck was so much smaller, as you would spend the extra $$$ to correct this issue. Otherwise, I would give this 5 stars as it is very addicting.
on October 30, 2013
I don't think I have ever seen a board game that pleases more consistently than this one. In my experience, board games are typically tedious to explain, and boring. Not this game. The beauty of it is its simplicity. It can be picked up very quickly, and the gameplay is quick, with no lulls. But, for all that simplicity in the gameplay, you do not sacrifice any complexity in the strategy. There are several different strategies that you can use. You can play defense and try to obstruct your opponent, or ignore your opponent all together and just focus on getting points. You can try to string together as many short runs as possible, or go for one long run.

The other beauty of this game is that it can be played by two players or more, and is just as fun. Most board games really can't handle two players well, but my wife and I have played this game at parties and with just the two of us, and it is always just as fun.

The game comes with a fantastic looking huge board. Every peice that is included, from the trains to the cards, are high quality and look great.

Easily my favorite board game. I am looking forward ot trying out the expansions.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.