Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Ticket To Ride

on January 17, 2016
So here's the deal this game is super fun just like everybody says so don't think my less than 5 star review indicates anything but that. We play it as a family and both the parents and the kids get really into it. High play and replay-ability, quick to learn but a LIFETIME TO MASTER and all that stuff like you'd expect based on everyone raving about it.

Observations / suggestions / etc:
- Requires a fairly big surface area given lots of cards and lots of pieces are part of this game
- Gameplay is super fast, you can get around the horn very quickly (4 players can play in 30 seconds total if they all just draw cards), so don't think you're going to be getting up to get a drink after your turn or anything. Or checking phones seriously just put them away. Good to agree on a set "break time" or something
- Total game time is also pretty fast but not silly fast. An hour or 90 minutes or so.
- If you play with people who are sneaky you should think about wearing sunglasses so they can't see where you are looking on the board because it might give away your strategy if they could tell where you are focusing
- If you're playing against people who don't wear sunglasses try and watch their eyes so you can see where they are looking, it may give away their strategy and you can swoop in and take their routes and win the game that'll teach them
- The spot labeled Duluth is clearly in Minneapolis/St Paul and *everyone* who you play with from Minnesota will point it out
- I recommend some sort of "card holder" thing if you play with younger kids and/or people with smaller hands. We have some wooden boards with slots cut in them to hold cards and they help a ton in this game (and others). I put a picture of that up.

My only real critique of this game - and the reason it's 4 not 5 stars - is the board doesn't sit especially flat. You can see in the pictures I attached. At times you have what seems like a million little trains on the board and just having the board not sit flat makes it seem a bit cheap. This is all about MANUFACTURING quality however, not about GAMEPLAY quality.
review image review image review image
22 comments| 290 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 28, 2014
I bought this for my children (ages 12 and 13) and it has since become our favorite family game. The game can take two hours or so to complete, but everyone stays engaged the whole time. The board has different routes that players can make between cities. Each route offers a set amount of points and the player with the highest point total at the end wins. I think that this works so well for a variety of age groups as it does not require any prior knowledge about geography. However, it is also challenging enough to keep adults interested. Awesome family game! Highly recommend!
on June 27, 2009
I have to admit that I have become addicted to the Ticket to Ride games in a very short time. The basic premise of the game allows the player to earn points by completing connected train routes. I compare it to Monopoly in that you have to plan which route will work best with the amount of trains you have vs. which properties will you buy based on the amount of money you have. They both involve strategy, but Ticket to Ride will never turn into a 'marathon' game as eventually the players will run out of trains quicker than Monopoly players would lose their money. So, to recap - it's a fast-paced strategic game that will definitely keep you entertained, especially if you have a fondness for travel.

At this point, my favorite is the original US version as it takes longer to build the routes and it requires more thought out approaches. I would highly recommend the add-on purchase of the 1910 cards to enhance game play. Without the purchase of these cards, I have to say the only negative was the mini-size cards that came with this version of the game. Fortunately, I purchased the 1910 expansion/add-on at the same time and just automatically use those cards in lieu of the mini ones that came with the game.
on April 23, 2013
I played this game first on iPad (also a blast) and recommended to a co-worker who came back the next day raving about how much he loved it. Since then I've also played the actual board game and I can't say enough good things about this game. Pretty simple rules to get started, and once you do the fun never stops. Even in games I've gotten clobbered, I still have a great time, and my girlfriend loves it too. This is one that you can play with your whole family and easily teach any guests you have to play. There are a lot of little train pieces that could get lost in a party but other than that minor concern, I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this wonderfully original, beautifully presented game. All the praise is deserved.
on November 27, 2016
Really enjoying this game. It's fun with two people. Figuring out how/when to mess with your opponent's routes and when to focus on your own (45 train cars goes fast if you forget to work on your routes) is fun. Games take a while (45 min. avg for us) but aren't too long and there's plenty of variety so far so replaying is fun, too.
on July 19, 2017
A lot of fun and easy mechanics to pick up. Good for 1 vs 1. A breath of fresh air from the monopoly, clue, and standard board games I grew up with. A new staple in board game nights that is fun for all. Cards are pretty tiny though so it makes it kinda hard to shuffle.
on October 27, 2015
Fun game and everyone who has played has caught on quickly (except for one person who is elderly). Game has a good replay value since the destination cards you receive are random each game. There is also an expansion for this that would make the game more fun as well since it offers more destination options. I like that when we play the first person out ahead isn't always the one that wins, strategy and luck are important in winning.
on October 20, 2017
Game arrived with all the pieces intact and in good shape.

The game itself is a favorite for friends and family that a variety of board games. It's easy enough to understand yet retains a measurable amount of strategy and skill for those who like more of a challenge.
on November 19, 2015
Our family LOVES this game! Family game night inevitable involves at least one round of Ticket to Ride! It's made for 2 to 5 players - occasionally when we have more than 5 players - we make everyone double up and play with teams. But no one minds because it's such a fun game. After the second or third time you play it - you'll come to pay more attention to what other players are doing - and it can get kinda cut throat... LOL
on February 23, 2017
This is one of those games where you wonder how can this be fun? And then you read the instructions and again wonder how this can be fun. Then the next thing you know you have played three games in a row and are having a blast. This is an amazing game that is easy to learn and shockingly fun. We have trouble remembering to move our point keeper thing so we usually count our points at the end of the game.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.