Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Fire TV Stick: $29.99. Offer ends 3/26/18 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Ticket To Ride

on February 21, 2014
It needs changes in four of its rules, and reminds me of Risk, where I could potentially lose friends. The game takes about 1 hour to play. The only good thing I can say is the artwork is beautiful. The cover belongs in a frame and should be hung on a wall. I was accused of being vindictive for blocking two other players deliberately, which is not against the rules. When I suggested modifying some rules, which would make that type of strategy a waste, those two players said no. I went to bed angry that night for being labeled the villain. I was still angry the next morning, and I was angry all day at work over the game! I haven't played it with them since. Two rules I consider most needing to be fixed are: 1. There should be no penalty for incomplete destinations. 2. Allow the use of double paths for THREE or more players. When a player's destination becomes DELIBERATELY blocked, I see the same kind of irritation you get when a player is attacked in the game of RISK, and that attack takes a continent away from them. Also, the small cars are too easily knocked around on the board. Since I stopped playing this game, I bought Seven Wonders, which is WAY more interesting, and has no possible avenues for irritation. I did make one mistake in my review. This game deserves ZERO stars instead of 1!! I gave this game away, and couldn't get it out of my house fast enough!
1313 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 28, 2012
Beautifully designed and nicely made but simple to play? I don't think so. It has way too many pieces and far too many choices, and frankly I'm not sure that I understand the goal -- which isn't what is expressed in the rules. I have done a number of those train rides and the routes don't actually go where some of the existing AMTRAK trains (and Canadian Trains) go. Versimilitude is valuable. My opinion is that it needs to be simplified and modified...although my opinion is obviously in the minority. My 8 and 10 year old grandsons liked it but we played with rules that we made up to suit our idea of how it should be played. And then we spent 10 minutes sorting out the pieces, the cards, and replacing everything in the box. Mix the cards up and you are doomed!
1010 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 6, 2014
Beautiful game, IMPOSSIBLE to figure out. Completely unplayable, adults and kids (ages 8 and 9) have tried and tried to figure out the directions. What a shame, as they love trains and this game was so expensive.
88 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 17, 2016
So here's the deal this game is super fun just like everybody says so don't think my less than 5 star review indicates anything but that. We play it as a family and both the parents and the kids get really into it. High play and replay-ability, quick to learn but a LIFETIME TO MASTER and all that stuff like you'd expect based on everyone raving about it.

Observations / suggestions / etc:
- Requires a fairly big surface area given lots of cards and lots of pieces are part of this game
- Gameplay is super fast, you can get around the horn very quickly (4 players can play in 30 seconds total if they all just draw cards), so don't think you're going to be getting up to get a drink after your turn or anything. Or checking phones seriously just put them away. Good to agree on a set "break time" or something
- Total game time is also pretty fast but not silly fast. An hour or 90 minutes or so.
- If you play with people who are sneaky you should think about wearing sunglasses so they can't see where you are looking on the board because it might give away your strategy if they could tell where you are focusing
- If you're playing against people who don't wear sunglasses try and watch their eyes so you can see where they are looking, it may give away their strategy and you can swoop in and take their routes and win the game that'll teach them
- The spot labeled Duluth is clearly in Minneapolis/St Paul and *everyone* who you play with from Minnesota will point it out
- I recommend some sort of "card holder" thing if you play with younger kids and/or people with smaller hands. We have some wooden boards with slots cut in them to hold cards and they help a ton in this game (and others). I put a picture of that up.

My only real critique of this game - and the reason it's 4 not 5 stars - is the board doesn't sit especially flat. You can see in the pictures I attached. At times you have what seems like a million little trains on the board and just having the board not sit flat makes it seem a bit cheap. This is all about MANUFACTURING quality however, not about GAMEPLAY quality.
review imagereview imagereview image
33 comments| 350 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 5, 2017
Love the game and that it can be played by a few or multiple people! Unfortunate that most of our destination cards seem to be incorrectly printed- see photos. Makes finding your routes discretely that much harder. Has anyone else experience this?
review imagereview image
on August 21, 2017
I had never played this game, but I read about it on a blog and once I saw the reviews I knew I had to buy it! I got it 4 days ago and have already played it three times! It is so fun! There is strategy involved so it's not a blind luck kind of game, but definitely luck involved too based on which destinations and cards you draw. Love it so much! We had some friends over to play it and it turns out they have been playing the iPad version. They loved the board game version! I recommend watching a tutorial on YouTube first instead of reading the directions. It helps to watch it being played! Definitely recommend! One thing more. When I first opened it to play with my husband his whole face fell. He's color blind and this game has a lot of colors. The blue and green trains look identical to him so we don't use those together. The train card colors were confusing to him, too. I suggested putting letters on each card, but then I noticed each train card has a symbol in the corner and the routes on the board have the corresponding symbols so he can play it without confusion.
review image
on February 11, 2018
As a whole this is a great game. It is very simple for new players to learn yet allows for advanced play and strategy for veteran players. Every game is different due to the randomization of the tickets. My 10 year old loves playing it with me. I've taken the game to family gatherings and it is an easy to get everyone to play because it is so easy for new players to pick up yet has plenty to offer for experienced players.

I was concerned ordering online and having the game delivered due to complaints of damaged boxes and the like. I'm very protective of my stuff and want to keep it in mint condition. My game arrived if flawless condition. It shipped in an over-sized box with ample packaging materials.

While I think the game is great there are a few minor things that prevent me from giving it 5 stars.
The board doesn't lay completely flat. It appears as if the board seams are too tight preventing it from laying flat. I'm hoping over time it will flatten out more.
I may be spoiled from playing my friends 10th Anniversary Edition of Ticket To Ride but the color and ticket cards are just too small. They are hard to hold onto and even harder to shuffle. The 10 Anniversary Edition has full-sized playing cards which are much easier to handle. The card storage in the box also doesn't make sense to me. The way the plastic box insert is molded all of the colored cards can't be stacked together. You must separate part of them and put them into the same stack with the ticket cards. This seems like a minor thing but it would have been so simple for them to fix it by making one of the stack spots a bit deeper in the plastic insert.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 26, 2017
I just discovered Ticket to Ride half a year ago, and I am so glad I did! I love this game so much, and everyone who I have forced to play with me have loved it as well, from my 11 year old half-sister to my non-game-playing 55 year old mom. Many people have begrudgingly played one round with me since it sounds a bit boring when you describe it ("You have to build train routes and connect cities! I promise it's super cool, guys!"), but have gone on to want to play 5 rounds in one sitting!

As a hyper competitive person, what I like about it is that you really don't know how you're doing compared to the other players throughout the game as you can't see their cards and don't know how many points they're racking up. I've had rounds where I definitely thought I was losing where I ended up winning by surprise and vice versa. This makes me less stressed compared to other games like Monopoly, where it can sour my mood if it's clear I'm going to lose no matter what and am just buying time until the inevitable happens (not to be dramatic). At the same time, my non-competitive friends have thoroughly enjoyed it because they can focus on building their own trains and reaching their own goals without worrying about what the other players are doing.

The only thing I don't like about TtR: USA is that the cards are tiny. I've played the Germany version and Europe version and the cards were a bit bigger and easier to shuffle. There are also a few things that bother me about the board (Duluth should be Minneapolis/St. Paul and Maine looks like it's a part of Canada), but these aren't deal breakers. When I ordered it from Amazon, I received two bags of blue trains instead of one blue and one green (which means that we could only play with 4 players instead of 5), but I received a refund, so it ended up okay.

If you are all hesitating about buying this game, don't! Buy it!

If you are considering the Europe version, let me quickly provide some comparison points: 1. There are a limited number of long destination cards, which means that you learn those routes. In a way, this is less fun because it gets a bit repetitive. But, it does make it easier to hypothetically block someone if you're into playing dirty! 2. You are never completely blocked because you can always build a train station - this means that you can use another person's route between two cities. When playing with two people, this would come in handy, as you can really mess up someone's game in the other versions if you (un)intentionally block them. 3. It's a bit more dynamic with ferries and tunnels. For TtR US, everything is at face value, whereas with Europe there are a few more risks. For this reason, I would say TtR Europe is a bit more "advanced" and TtR US is better for younger kids. That being said, I learned to play on the Europe board and it was easy to understand. Both games are a lot of fun, and to be on the safe side, you should just buy both :)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 14, 2015
I bought this game to introduce my parents and younger nephews to Board games and to summarize the experience, it was a huge success!
Ticket to ride is a light strategy game where the aim is to connect routes with the chain of trains you have and get points. The person with the highest number of points wins! It is a nice game for kids and elders alike. As this is a beginner strategy game, I would not recommend this game for seasoned strategists, but rather for folks who are just getting into strategy games

Build: 9 on 10
The build of the game was really good. The quality of trains was sturdy and the look and feel of the board was professional. I did not need a sleeve for the cards as they did not bend and were nice and flat. They also have a nice touch and feel. While one of my trains was damaged, they had provided plenty of spare trains which made it worthwhile.

Packaging: 10 on10
The package was received on time. The product itself comes in nice professional box and has dedicated locations to store each item from the game. It was quite easy to unwrap the product and start using it.

Overall: 9 on 10
Overall, having played many many strategy games, this still ends up as one of my favorite ‘light’ strategy games.

I often depend on others leaving honest reviews when I need to order a new item. I find that one of the most difficult things about ordering online is that I can’t hold or touch the products before buying them. So, I love reviews from others who have touched, inspected, and used the item I’m thinking about purchasing. I strive for the same in leaving reviews for others – to leave a review that will help others make an informed decision (never to inflate the product's quality). If you have found this review helpful, I’d love if you’d indicate that below.
22 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 30, 2016
1. Rules are poorly explained
2. Game is overpriced. It's made in China and the components don't cost more than about $3
3. Made in China quality (poor injection molding, uneven board, back sticker misapplied, plastic cards make your hands itchy)
review imagereview image
11 comment| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.