Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,244 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,651 reviews
on January 17, 2016
So here's the deal this game is super fun just like everybody says so don't think my less than 5 star review indicates anything but that. We play it as a family and both the parents and the kids get really into it. High play and replay-ability, quick to learn but a LIFETIME TO MASTER and all that stuff like you'd expect based on everyone raving about it.

Observations / suggestions / etc:
- Requires a fairly big surface area given lots of cards and lots of pieces are part of this game
- Gameplay is super fast, you can get around the horn very quickly (4 players can play in 30 seconds total if they all just draw cards), so don't think you're going to be getting up to get a drink after your turn or anything. Or checking phones seriously just put them away. Good to agree on a set "break time" or something
- Total game time is also pretty fast but not silly fast. An hour or 90 minutes or so.
- If you play with people who are sneaky you should think about wearing sunglasses so they can't see where you are looking on the board because it might give away your strategy if they could tell where you are focusing
- If you're playing against people who don't wear sunglasses try and watch their eyes so you can see where they are looking, it may give away their strategy and you can swoop in and take their routes and win the game that'll teach them
- The spot labeled Duluth is clearly in Minneapolis/St Paul and *everyone* who you play with from Minnesota will point it out
- I recommend some sort of "card holder" thing if you play with younger kids and/or people with smaller hands. We have some wooden boards with slots cut in them to hold cards and they help a ton in this game (and others). I put a picture of that up.

My only real critique of this game - and the reason it's 4 not 5 stars - is the board doesn't sit especially flat. You can see in the pictures I attached. At times you have what seems like a million little trains on the board and just having the board not sit flat makes it seem a bit cheap. This is all about MANUFACTURING quality however, not about GAMEPLAY quality.
review image review image review image
11 comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2016
My husband and I were introduced to this game by friends and then he HAD to have it. We took it on vacation with my family and I think there were at least 3 games a day among various groups of people. Needless to say, it has become a go-to game when we are together with friends or family. You can play with just 2 people but I find that it is much more enjoyable and interesting with at least 4. We aren't into gaming at all but really enjoy the strategy that goes into this game and that you can complete the game in a reasonable time frame.

The board is a big map with destination cities. Each player has destination cards and the goal is to get from one destination to another by linking train pieces across the map. You connect city to city by collecting and playing cards of different colors. Earn points by connecting cities - the longer the distance, the more points. Once a destination route is complete, you also earn points for that card. A shorter distance (New York to Chicago) is worth less than longer distances (New York to LA). Of course there are different rules for collecting and using cards, how to score points, etc. that you can read into deeper once you purchase.
on October 14, 2015
I bought this game to introduce my parents and younger nephews to Board games and to summarize the experience, it was a huge success!
Ticket to ride is a light strategy game where the aim is to connect routes with the chain of trains you have and get points. The person with the highest number of points wins! It is a nice game for kids and elders alike. As this is a beginner strategy game, I would not recommend this game for seasoned strategists, but rather for folks who are just getting into strategy games

Build: 9 on 10
The build of the game was really good. The quality of trains was sturdy and the look and feel of the board was professional. I did not need a sleeve for the cards as they did not bend and were nice and flat. They also have a nice touch and feel. While one of my trains was damaged, they had provided plenty of spare trains which made it worthwhile.

Packaging: 10 on10
The package was received on time. The product itself comes in nice professional box and has dedicated locations to store each item from the game. It was quite easy to unwrap the product and start using it.

Overall: 9 on 10
Overall, having played many many strategy games, this still ends up as one of my favorite ‘light’ strategy games.

I often depend on others leaving honest reviews when I need to order a new item. I find that one of the most difficult things about ordering online is that I can’t hold or touch the products before buying them. So, I love reviews from others who have touched, inspected, and used the item I’m thinking about purchasing. I strive for the same in leaving reviews for others – to leave a review that will help others make an informed decision (never to inflate the product's quality). If you have found this review helpful, I’d love if you’d indicate that below.
on December 23, 2013
This game was recommended on multiple websites, so I asked some friends if they'd played it. All who have played this before said it is a great game and I agree after playing myself. If you like strategy games this has an easy learning curve without being too complicated to master. Each game takes about an hour to play. The way it works is each player picks three cards at random. Each card has a mission like the game Risk. You have to connect train cars from one destination to the next depending on your mission. The game board has multiple routes to each destination. There are 5 face up draw piles and one face down pile to choose cards from. On your turn you pick 2 cards from the face up piles or the face down pile unless you choose to pick a wild card from the face up piles and if so, you only get that one card.(if you draw a wild card from the face down pile you still can pick another card) There is no maximum hand size. The goal is to create matches using the different colors available. Depending upon your mission you may have no options to use some colors, or you may have multiple options to use some colors. Each turn you may play train cars or draw cards, but not both. The object is to create color matches of two, three, four, five and six cars, play those combinations in connection with your other train cars to create a contiguous line of train cars until you connect your departure point with your destination point. More strategy is involved when you have the option to block another player's route, so the more players the better. The game ends when a player has three or less cars left in their inventory.
on March 18, 2017
Ticket to Ride is okay. It's obviously a gateway game. At the time that I bought it, I was new to the euro gaming scene. I didn't buy it because I was on the fence about wanting to play such games, but because it was known to be such a popular game. Since having bought and played so many deeper euro games, I kind of wish that I hadn't bought this one. Sure, it's a good game, but definitely for the lighter gamer. Still recommended, though.
on July 15, 2017
It's rare to find a game that everyone in the family loves. This is that game.

With most games, we get one of 3 scenarios in my household. 1) my boys like it. They're a little older and we play a lot of strategy games. My daughter (who is the youngest) doesn't win these often and either tires of them quickly or doesn't like them at all. 2) My daughter likes it. These tend to be games steered more towards chance where strategy is not so important. The boys generally only tolerate these because I make them play (gotta keep it fair, you know) Or 3) a few games are somewhere in the middle that none of us loves but none of us hates either. The compromise game.

But with Ticket to Ride, we have a real winner. There's enough strategy in it that you can make or break your game on your own merits, but there's also enough element of chance in it (and the strategy isn't typically too deep) that younger kids will enjoy it too (as long as they're old enough to grasp the game mechanics in the first place). Light-hearted, fairly fast-paced, and - excuse the cliche but seriously - fun for the whole family!
on November 4, 2016
My children and I absolutely love this game. My kids, ages 12 and 9, started playing this game a few years ago. My 9 year plays it well - often winning. I like that you can use different strategies to play. If you do not know what you are doing then you still have fun and you can always play to block others and make things difficult for them.
on October 19, 2015
This is one of our favorite family games. Although we have this game in an electronic version, there is something very satisfying about the board game. The layout, score-keeping and overall style of the game is well thought out. No wonder this was the game of the year in so many countries. We've also purchased the 1910 addition that adds more routes and ways to play the game. This is an easy game for young persons to learn counting, major US map locations, colors and strategy. That being said, we have no young persons in our household and this is the most requested game among friends and family. The game can easily be played in 50 minutes ( a bit longer if you have the 5 player limit). My favorite part is that my husband and I often play it by ourselves in the evening.
on November 30, 2013
This game is a ton of fun. 2-5 players. sounds like an odd number but i think 6 would be to full of a board and no one would be able to complete their trains.

The game shares some similarities to settlers of katan. but i like this one better. The object is to build trains from one major city to another on the board which is a cartoony version of a map of the lower 48 states. (Unfortunately not all of Obama's 57 states.) There are other version of the game as well such as a European version.

A player picks up a mission card to see which two cities they need to connect by building a train. They build trains by collecting the colored cards to match the section of railroad drawn on the board. Two players can block eachother by trying to use the same rail, however, more than one rail can be used to get to each city.

The expansion set is also recamended as it adds more missions and more colored cards so you dont run out so fast when play with the full 5 players.
VINE VOICEon December 25, 2014
What is not to love about this game?
The rules are fairly simple and easy to follow. The set up is very easy and quick. The game play needs you to think and put some thought into your strategy.

It is quick and easy to learn and younger children can probably pick up the point of the game quickly. We played with an 11 year old but a smart kid who is 9 or 10 could easily play with no problems I believe.

Do you use your pieces to block other players? Do you start to lay down track just anywhere because it might help you in the future? Do you take extra route pieces because then you can pick and choose your routes? How do you use your turn because you can only do one thing- draw cards, play cards to make a route, a pick new route cards?

My youngest, age nine, who is a get up and go full of energy kid, enjoyed playing this game with the family. It is not a short game (It took us about an hour to play our first game but the time in play has decreased to about 30 minutes or 45 minutes now).

Lots of fun.
Well worth the money.
Enjoy.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.