Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Book House Cleaning siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 3,121 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,524 reviews
on January 17, 2016
So here's the deal this game is super fun just like everybody says so don't think my less than 5 star review indicates anything but that. We play it as a family and both the parents and the kids get really into it. High play and replay-ability, quick to learn but a LIFETIME TO MASTER and all that stuff like you'd expect based on everyone raving about it.

Observations / suggestions / etc:
- Requires a fairly big surface area given lots of cards and lots of pieces are part of this game
- Gameplay is super fast, you can get around the horn very quickly (4 players can play in 30 seconds total if they all just draw cards), so don't think you're going to be getting up to get a drink after your turn or anything. Or checking phones seriously just put them away. Good to agree on a set "break time" or something
- Total game time is also pretty fast but not silly fast. An hour or 90 minutes or so.
- If you play with people who are sneaky you should think about wearing sunglasses so they can't see where you are looking on the board because it might give away your strategy if they could tell where you are focusing
- If you're playing against people who don't wear sunglasses try and watch their eyes so you can see where they are looking, it may give away their strategy and you can swoop in and take their routes and win the game that'll teach them
- The spot labeled Duluth is clearly in Minneapolis/St Paul and *everyone* who you play with from Minnesota will point it out
- I recommend some sort of "card holder" thing if you play with younger kids and/or people with smaller hands. We have some wooden boards with slots cut in them to hold cards and they help a ton in this game (and others). I put a picture of that up.

My only real critique of this game - and the reason it's 4 not 5 stars - is the board doesn't sit especially flat. You can see in the pictures I attached. At times you have what seems like a million little trains on the board and just having the board not sit flat makes it seem a bit cheap. This is all about MANUFACTURING quality however, not about GAMEPLAY quality.
review image review image review image
on July 16, 2006
Every year I buy my daughter at least three board games: one for Christmas, one for Three Kings Day and one for her birthday. It has become a tradition we both enjoy. I purchased TTR after reading excellent recommendations from other gamer parents on Boardgamegeek. I was not disappointed.

The game components are well made and beautiful, and the box is designed to store them well. This is very important, as the game has lots of pieces: cards, colorful plastic trains and wooden marker tokens.

Each turn lets you make decisions, play is never merely mechanical. Each time you play you will be able to choose one of three different actions: claim a train route, collect train cards or gather destination tickets. Each of those actions implies further decisions: Do you take a red train or a blue train? The short Duluth or Phoenix? Risk the big payoff tickets or keep only the safer, smaller points destinations?

The instructions are simple enough for non-gamers and children, but game play is engaging for all levels of play. The game accommodates both laid back and cutthroat gaming styles.

If your family games you should add this to your collection. If you are new to gaming and need a place to start, this is a fine first buy.
11 comment| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2016
This is a great game of strategy as players attempt to create train routes from city to city. At each turn, you have to decide whether to draw new train cards, claim a route, or draw new destination cards. Points are based on multiple factors: completion of the longest route and completion of the routes on the destination cards that the player draws, What I like about this game is that multiple strategies work (versus a game like Monopoly where the strategy is always the same - just buy everything). It's a great game for 2 - 4 players, takes about 45 minutes per game, and is enjoyable for adults and kids. It's an easy game to learn and the rules are pretty straightforward. The illustrations on the board are nice and it's completely family friendly. Other than a few lessons in geography, it's not particularly educational. This version is all in North America (mostly U.S. cities with a few Canadian locations). There are also Europe and other versions available. I have both the board game and the card game and while I like both, the board game is much easier to follow and more visually appealing. The card game requires players to remember what they've played rather than being able to see it on the board. The only thing I would change is maybe having a larger version that could be played by more people. Highly recommend this!
on December 22, 2016
My husband and I were introduced to this game by friends and then he HAD to have it. We took it on vacation with my family and I think there were at least 3 games a day among various groups of people. Needless to say, it has become a go-to game when we are together with friends or family. You can play with just 2 people but I find that it is much more enjoyable and interesting with at least 4. We aren't into gaming at all but really enjoy the strategy that goes into this game and that you can complete the game in a reasonable time frame.

The board is a big map with destination cities. Each player has destination cards and the goal is to get from one destination to another by linking train pieces across the map. You connect city to city by collecting and playing cards of different colors. Earn points by connecting cities - the longer the distance, the more points. Once a destination route is complete, you also earn points for that card. A shorter distance (New York to Chicago) is worth less than longer distances (New York to LA). Of course there are different rules for collecting and using cards, how to score points, etc. that you can read into deeper once you purchase.
on April 4, 2017
Absolutely love this game! Ticket to Ride (aka Ticket US) was the first game in the series, and is probably the best introduction to the series, as it's easy to pick up and doesn't have the twists and added elements that the other complete games or map collections in the series contain.

Players acquire colored train cards to try and complete the route cards they drew and kept at the start of the game. Long train routes (typically in the southern US and up in Canada) are worth the most points, but it can be hard to get the large numbers of the same color train cards needed to complete them. *Official game rules say that in double routes (2 tracks connecting a pair of cities) can only be used by one player and then that connection is blocked, but my family always plays by the rule "if the route is there, it can be claimed" and use both tracks between the cities.
on March 7, 2017
I can see why this game became an instant classic. Finally picked up this game after seeing it at the top of every blogger's "Top ### Games" lists - And it's a blast. It's an easily accessible game, yet still deep enough to reward "power" gamers. It does a great job of building tension, as well... As you see the trains your opponents have remaining to place begin to dwindle, signifying the end game - And you still have two routes in your hand that you're trying to complete.

I see this becoming any family's go-to board game.
There aren't enough adjectives to describe how much fun this game is to play. The instructions & rules are straightforward and the quality of the game pieces is very high.

Pros:
Provides great entertainment value for all ages.
Anywhere from 2-5 players can play.
Takes only 30 minutes to 1 hour to complete a game.
Plenty of strategies to use to win the game.
Educational, especially for children.
Learn a lot about US & Canadian geography.

Cons:
Very addicting.

This is one of the most interesting games that I've ever played. What makes it especially fun is that it can be played by fairly young children, right through older adults. While the game is pretty simple to play; the strategies involved can become quite interesting. The game offers thrills and excitement and one becomes more adept as time goes by. Another great aspect is the fact that it's very difficult to become bored; you can play for hours on end and never lose interest. The game is very educational, as it requires a player to visualize how to route your trains and it teaches a great deal about US and Canadian geography. I can't think of a game in recent memory that offers so much for both children and adults alike. This one's a winner.
on March 21, 2017
This game is an awesome game for the entire family. Extremely easy to learn. We read through the rules and pretty much had it figured out before we even read the last couple pages. I have not played the Europe version, but those who leave bad reviews for this game just because they think the Europe version is better (which it may very well be) are downing a fun and exciting game. i have played euro style games before and own very highly confusing but fun games, but i can tell this game would have been a great intro to Euro style games if it had been my first. This was the first game we included my 5 year old daughter and she understood fairly fast and really loved to play with us. As far as RULES this game is easy as can be, but as some reviews have said the game is challenging. This is because you have be strategic to beat your opponent NOT because its a hard game to play. I am absolutely glad i purchased this and will ADD the Europe version to my collection as well. I look to many many hours of fun with BOTH games
on January 26, 2016
Pros: Quick turns, it isn't over till it's over
Cons: Can be repetitive

Game play is pretty simple: you start with some secret tickets with cities on them that you have to connect together to get points; then you either draw cards, build with the cards in your hand, or get more tickets. That's the whole game.

I'll start by saying that I'm a fan of more complicated games like Agricola (my favorite at the time of writing) or Pandemic, so the lack of options is a bit uninteresting to me. That said, I still enjoy playing Ticket to Ride. I like to compare it to Catan, because a lot of people looking into board games have some experience with that one. You are collecting resources in order to build around other players and get the most points. In Ticket to Ride, the resources are colored trains, and you're building stretches of railroad that are worth certain amounts of points. In Catan, you roll dice to determine what resources you get. In Ticket to Ride, you draw from a deck (you can choose from 5 cards that you can see, or take random cards). I like this because you have control over what you receive, where as in Catan, if the dice are not in your favor, you're out of luck. For this reason though, there is no trading in Ticket to Ride. This also means that turn length is cut to a minimum. No one is asking for cards or taking resources and then building something. All you can do is draw or build. It is hard to find something bad to say about this game, but that would be my one complaint: it can get repetitive since your're doing the same thing every turn.

This does, however, make the game go at a faster pace than the games I usually like, which can be refreshing. Even though there isn't much variation on what to do each turn, you still have to form a strategy. You can keep an eye on who is building where, and what color train cards they are picking up. Then you can either try to cut them off or make a move so they don't cut you off. You can try to build the longest track to get more points up front, or get more tickets to get more hidden points.

Because of these secret tickets you get, no one knows for sure how many points each player has until the very end when the game is over. At this point, everyone reveals their tickets and the final scores are tallied. This is another thing I like about Ticket to Ride in comparison to Catan. In Catan it can come to a point where defeat is almost certain, but in Ticket to Ride I've been in dead last when the game ends, but end up winning because I had some high scoring tickets that I had connected. This helps players stay involved the whole game, which is important to any game, in my opinion.

While not a game I would've chosen initially, this is certainly a very fun and fast paced game that most people should enjoy.
on March 18, 2017
Ticket to Ride is okay. It's obviously a gateway game. At the time that I bought it, I was new to the euro gaming scene. I didn't buy it because I was on the fence about wanting to play such games, but because it was known to be such a popular game. Since having bought and played so many deeper euro games, I kind of wish that I hadn't bought this one. Sure, it's a good game, but definitely for the lighter gamer. Still recommended, though.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.