Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,210 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,618 reviews
on January 17, 2016
So here's the deal this game is super fun just like everybody says so don't think my less than 5 star review indicates anything but that. We play it as a family and both the parents and the kids get really into it. High play and replay-ability, quick to learn but a LIFETIME TO MASTER and all that stuff like you'd expect based on everyone raving about it.

Observations / suggestions / etc:
- Requires a fairly big surface area given lots of cards and lots of pieces are part of this game
- Gameplay is super fast, you can get around the horn very quickly (4 players can play in 30 seconds total if they all just draw cards), so don't think you're going to be getting up to get a drink after your turn or anything. Or checking phones seriously just put them away. Good to agree on a set "break time" or something
- Total game time is also pretty fast but not silly fast. An hour or 90 minutes or so.
- If you play with people who are sneaky you should think about wearing sunglasses so they can't see where you are looking on the board because it might give away your strategy if they could tell where you are focusing
- If you're playing against people who don't wear sunglasses try and watch their eyes so you can see where they are looking, it may give away their strategy and you can swoop in and take their routes and win the game that'll teach them
- The spot labeled Duluth is clearly in Minneapolis/St Paul and *everyone* who you play with from Minnesota will point it out
- I recommend some sort of "card holder" thing if you play with younger kids and/or people with smaller hands. We have some wooden boards with slots cut in them to hold cards and they help a ton in this game (and others). I put a picture of that up.

My only real critique of this game - and the reason it's 4 not 5 stars - is the board doesn't sit especially flat. You can see in the pictures I attached. At times you have what seems like a million little trains on the board and just having the board not sit flat makes it seem a bit cheap. This is all about MANUFACTURING quality however, not about GAMEPLAY quality.
review image review image review image
0Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2016
We LOVE this game! At first the instructions seemed a little daunting to us, but after a quick google search we stumbled upon an extremely helpful video done by the actor, Wil Wheaton. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHmf1bau9xQ Once we learned how to play, we were able to quickly and simply explain the rules to our 9 year old daughter in minutes. We originally bought the game for her. But to be honest, my husband and I have enjoyed playing it so much that I think we've played it 4x as much as she has. It's a very basic strategy game - Your goal is to have the most points at the end of the game. You gain points by claiming routes and completing destination tickets. We've tried playing the game with a couple of different strategies and no two games are ever really the same. It's a fantastic family game for up to 5 players, great for children and/or adults. Highly recommend it to be added to anyone's game collection.
on March 18, 2015
Great gateway game!! What that means is this is a great game that you can bring out that will not be overly complex and scare off casual gamers. My wife and I love to spend time and this game allows us to be able to play and talk about the day while the kiddos are asleep.

This game has been one of those games that our friends and family ask to play again. To me if someone asks you to play a game again you should look to purchase those games because of the replay-ability maximizing your investment.

2 player games allow you the ability to stay away from each other for the most part but It does extremely stressful with 4 or more players as you will have multiple people not happy you blocked their route early and they have to live with not making their routes :) (Don't let 4-5 players stop you from playing though)

Great game and look for it to play with family. And I would recommend it if you need a list of games to start your collection. This game really can compliment other games such as Worker Placement (Carcasonne or Settlers), Deck Building (Dominion), Co-op (Anything Matt Leacock), etc. This doesn't duplicate and load you down on any genre that you have really.

Pros
* Great replay-ability
* Great for 2 and works with more
* Great Gateway game to introduce people to board games
* Easy enough to talk and play
* People ask to play after the first game :)
Cons
* Warning if you don't like stressful with 4 or more players (if you like stressful GAME ON!)...(Don't let 4-5 players stop you from playing though)
VINE VOICEon January 24, 2016
I purchased this board game for my daughter for Christmas and the entire family jumped in and played. While not as simple to learn as the directions/reviews state, we did learn pretty quickly how to play and strategize. We struggled to figure out the reasoning behind the destination tickets, but things got clearer when we got help by checking out the many reviews/instructions available on YouTube and elsewhere online.

The game goes pretty quickly. It took us about an hour to complete, and we all thoroughly enjoyed the game. The board is quite attractive to the eye and included pieces are well made. There are several other versions of the Ticket to Ride series, and I recommend that you start with this one because of its simplicity.

This is an excellent family night board game. Put away the electronics, turn off the TV and gather the family together with this fun game.
on December 22, 2016
My husband and I were introduced to this game by friends and then he HAD to have it. We took it on vacation with my family and I think there were at least 3 games a day among various groups of people. Needless to say, it has become a go-to game when we are together with friends or family. You can play with just 2 people but I find that it is much more enjoyable and interesting with at least 4. We aren't into gaming at all but really enjoy the strategy that goes into this game and that you can complete the game in a reasonable time frame.

The board is a big map with destination cities. Each player has destination cards and the goal is to get from one destination to another by linking train pieces across the map. You connect city to city by collecting and playing cards of different colors. Earn points by connecting cities - the longer the distance, the more points. Once a destination route is complete, you also earn points for that card. A shorter distance (New York to Chicago) is worth less than longer distances (New York to LA). Of course there are different rules for collecting and using cards, how to score points, etc. that you can read into deeper once you purchase.
on December 23, 2013
This game was recommended on multiple websites, so I asked some friends if they'd played it. All who have played this before said it is a great game and I agree after playing myself. If you like strategy games this has an easy learning curve without being too complicated to master. Each game takes about an hour to play. The way it works is each player picks three cards at random. Each card has a mission like the game Risk. You have to connect train cars from one destination to the next depending on your mission. The game board has multiple routes to each destination. There are 5 face up draw piles and one face down pile to choose cards from. On your turn you pick 2 cards from the face up piles or the face down pile unless you choose to pick a wild card from the face up piles and if so, you only get that one card.(if you draw a wild card from the face down pile you still can pick another card) There is no maximum hand size. The goal is to create matches using the different colors available. Depending upon your mission you may have no options to use some colors, or you may have multiple options to use some colors. Each turn you may play train cars or draw cards, but not both. The object is to create color matches of two, three, four, five and six cars, play those combinations in connection with your other train cars to create a contiguous line of train cars until you connect your departure point with your destination point. More strategy is involved when you have the option to block another player's route, so the more players the better. The game ends when a player has three or less cars left in their inventory.
on March 18, 2017
Ticket to Ride is okay. It's obviously a gateway game. At the time that I bought it, I was new to the euro gaming scene. I didn't buy it because I was on the fence about wanting to play such games, but because it was known to be such a popular game. Since having bought and played so many deeper euro games, I kind of wish that I hadn't bought this one. Sure, it's a good game, but definitely for the lighter gamer. Still recommended, though.
on October 14, 2015
I bought this game to introduce my parents and younger nephews to Board games and to summarize the experience, it was a huge success!
Ticket to ride is a light strategy game where the aim is to connect routes with the chain of trains you have and get points. The person with the highest number of points wins! It is a nice game for kids and elders alike. As this is a beginner strategy game, I would not recommend this game for seasoned strategists, but rather for folks who are just getting into strategy games

Build: 9 on 10
The build of the game was really good. The quality of trains was sturdy and the look and feel of the board was professional. I did not need a sleeve for the cards as they did not bend and were nice and flat. They also have a nice touch and feel. While one of my trains was damaged, they had provided plenty of spare trains which made it worthwhile.

Packaging: 10 on10
The package was received on time. The product itself comes in nice professional box and has dedicated locations to store each item from the game. It was quite easy to unwrap the product and start using it.

Overall: 9 on 10
Overall, having played many many strategy games, this still ends up as one of my favorite ‘light’ strategy games.

I often depend on others leaving honest reviews when I need to order a new item. I find that one of the most difficult things about ordering online is that I can’t hold or touch the products before buying them. So, I love reviews from others who have touched, inspected, and used the item I’m thinking about purchasing. I strive for the same in leaving reviews for others – to leave a review that will help others make an informed decision (never to inflate the product's quality). If you have found this review helpful, I’d love if you’d indicate that below.
on November 4, 2016
My children and I absolutely love this game. My kids, ages 12 and 9, started playing this game a few years ago. My 9 year plays it well - often winning. I like that you can use different strategies to play. If you do not know what you are doing then you still have fun and you can always play to block others and make things difficult for them.
on October 19, 2015
This is one of our favorite family games. Although we have this game in an electronic version, there is something very satisfying about the board game. The layout, score-keeping and overall style of the game is well thought out. No wonder this was the game of the year in so many countries. We've also purchased the 1910 addition that adds more routes and ways to play the game. This is an easy game for young persons to learn counting, major US map locations, colors and strategy. That being said, we have no young persons in our household and this is the most requested game among friends and family. The game can easily be played in 50 minutes ( a bit longer if you have the 5 player limit). My favorite part is that my husband and I often play it by ourselves in the evening.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.