Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy Despicable Me 3 available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Ticket To Ride

on January 17, 2016
So here's the deal this game is super fun just like everybody says so don't think my less than 5 star review indicates anything but that. We play it as a family and both the parents and the kids get really into it. High play and replay-ability, quick to learn but a LIFETIME TO MASTER and all that stuff like you'd expect based on everyone raving about it.

Observations / suggestions / etc:
- Requires a fairly big surface area given lots of cards and lots of pieces are part of this game
- Gameplay is super fast, you can get around the horn very quickly (4 players can play in 30 seconds total if they all just draw cards), so don't think you're going to be getting up to get a drink after your turn or anything. Or checking phones seriously just put them away. Good to agree on a set "break time" or something
- Total game time is also pretty fast but not silly fast. An hour or 90 minutes or so.
- If you play with people who are sneaky you should think about wearing sunglasses so they can't see where you are looking on the board because it might give away your strategy if they could tell where you are focusing
- If you're playing against people who don't wear sunglasses try and watch their eyes so you can see where they are looking, it may give away their strategy and you can swoop in and take their routes and win the game that'll teach them
- The spot labeled Duluth is clearly in Minneapolis/St Paul and *everyone* who you play with from Minnesota will point it out
- I recommend some sort of "card holder" thing if you play with younger kids and/or people with smaller hands. We have some wooden boards with slots cut in them to hold cards and they help a ton in this game (and others). I put a picture of that up.

My only real critique of this game - and the reason it's 4 not 5 stars - is the board doesn't sit especially flat. You can see in the pictures I attached. At times you have what seems like a million little trains on the board and just having the board not sit flat makes it seem a bit cheap. This is all about MANUFACTURING quality however, not about GAMEPLAY quality.
review imagereview imagereview image
22 comments| 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2013
I really enjoyed playing this game. It works well with only two players, so is one of few that is enjoyable for my husband and I to play by ourselves, but will also be good to play as our children get older and can join our games. The game can work for up to 5 players, but in practice, I have found that the board becomes very crowded with 5 and the game is much more cutthroat at that point.

The gameplay is extremely simple. Your goal: use your train pieces to make travel routes between destination cities. You start each game with three potential destination cards (drawn from a deck) and MUST choose two to begin.

Each turn, you can choose to do one of three things:
(1) Draw cards (used to make railroads)
(2) Make a railroad (by spending the appropriate number of cards) to connect your destinations
OR (3) Choose additional destination card(s).

Each completed destination card awards points. Failing to complete a destination card removes points. Each completed railroad section awards points (based on the length of the railroad). At the end of the game, the player with the longest continuous railway is awarded bonus points. And of course, the player with the most points wins.

Fairly simple rules. The strategy comes in balancing the different risks. Should I go ahead and claim the railroad I need now, or should I get the cards that I will need for the next section? If I place a railroad, will others guess where I am attempting to go and block me from proceeding? Should I attempt to get additional destination cards to increase my point total, or should I try to keep others from completing their destinations?

People who enjoy Carcassonne Basic Game and the The Settlers of Catan series will probably like this game as well.
on January 19, 2017
We purchased this as a Christmas Gift for the family. It's challenging enough to keep adults entertained yet simple enough for children to play too. With so many different options there's literally hours of game play possible without repeating the same "game". If and when the original game gets monotonous, there are "expansion packs" to create new and more challenging game play. We bought the "1910 Expansion" but haven't opened it yet.
on June 5, 2016
Great board game. If your tired of 'bored' games like Monopoly, Candyland, and Chutes and Ladders, but still want a fun family game you should check this out. I read lots of reviews and decided to give this one a try.

The game play last 30-45 minutes, setup is quick, and easy to learn. If you have all new players, playing the game one time should give you a good understanding. We had kids as young as 8 playing and it was fine. The strategy can change each time you play, or you may have to change during a game if your plans get blocked. With all the other options and addins this game series has we went with the original and figured we could branch out if we like it. I think we will be adding to the collection next winter, with more Ticket to ride games!
on January 4, 2016
I first purchased this game in 2006 when my husband and I were dating. He is a locomotive engineer and train nut, and I saw this for the first time at a neat San Francisco game shop. I bought it and gave it to him as a Christmas gift. He loved it and we played it a lot while we were dating. It was fun to play with just the two of us or when we had a group of friends get together for a game night. You do have to think and develop a strategy to achieve success. It's great to play with two players or several. We have given this game as gifts to other families, and this one was purchased as a gift for a family with children who are 8 and 10. They love it too.
on April 2, 2013
I think that Ticket to Ride is one of the best games out there. The idea of the game is to connect cities on the map using train cars that you collect. You start by receiving train route cards known as destination cards. There are certain colored tracks on the board that you have to play to begin connecting your train. If you connect your destinations with your trains, you earn the points for that card. You also receive points for each train you lay down. There is a bonus if you have the longest continuous train too.

I love that this game is so easy for newbies to learn and yet it is challenging every time you play. There is some strategy for the analytical mind people out there, but not too much where others get bored. It is fun for all types of players. This is definitely a middle schooler to adult age range.

I also love that there are expansion packs too so we can always choose a different version. I definitely like this complete set more than the Europe version. You have to buy a complete set before you can branch out into the expansion packs. I do like the 1910 USA expansion pack better with this original set. I like the destinations and variations more. The train cards in the 1910 USA are so much easier to use too. I would recommend buying them together.

Our family owns the following Ticket to Ride games: USA original Complete Set, USA 1910 expansion, Europe original Compete Set, Asia expansion, and India/Switzerland expansion. Out of the expansion packs so far, most of us like the India/Switzerland set. You can see my review for more information.
on July 16, 2017
I have been wanting to buy this game for awhile to play on family game nights. I bought it based on reviews. At first, not knowing ANYTHING about the game, the rules were a bit confusing. It was a little frustrating because we had been looking forward to play the game. After watching a video on how to play it, the rules clicked. After the initial first game, the rest is history. The game is simple, easy and fun. It does take a couple hours to play but not as long as Monopoly. My daughter (8) doesn't like it as much as my son(10) loves it. Its a great family game to play. We love it.
on January 10, 2016
Is this the best board game ever? Yes! I fell in love with this game over Christmas break this year.

If you've never played before the object of the game is to connect train routes between cities by collecting cards. You gain points by completing routes that are drawn from the card pile. Each route has a varying number of points available. For example, some routes are worth 4 points and others up to 22 or more. Some routes have only one way in or out so there is room for strategizing against your opponent if you wish.

This game is easy without being boring. It's a great game to play on weeknight to unwind. My favorite part is that you can play this with as little as two people. The game with two people takes about 30 - 45 mins. Much faster than playing other board games with only two people.
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2013
Awesome game. I'm currently addicted to the online version of this game, but I've played the real thing as well. It's a great game for 2-5 people. Honestly, I think it's more fun if you have 3-5 players because there's more potential for your planned routes to be disrupted. When you play a computer, it's not really out to get you, I don't think... people, however, are often out to get you. You know your true friends when they relish the thought of purposefully foiling your perfect train route.

I like that it's a relatively quick game with a definite end. Some games (like monopoly) are great but there's the potential for it to run very, very long. When this game promises to be done in about an hour, it carries out that promise. Lots of replay value here because there are numerous routes. At the same time, it's an easy game to learn, so you can teach a new bunch of people how to play in just a few minutes.

The slight downside is that it's only for 5 players. We've played with 6 before by doubling up, but it's not exactly conducive to huge gatherings.

Have fun.
on February 6, 2013
I sought out a fun, imminently replayable board game that would be easy to learn and take less than an hour to play. To find such a game I visited the boardgame geek forums and found that for beginners of so-called serious board games, Ticket to Ride was the way to go.

Pros:

1. Easy to learn. My wife and I have not played many board games, but we picked up the basics of Ticket to Ride in under ten minutes.

2. High quality product. The map is made of firm cardboard. The illustrations are artistic and fit the theme of the game. The trains themselves are solid plastic.

3. Loads of replay value. There are different strategies out there, and depending on the destination tickets you receive, you have to adapt how you play that particular game. You can keep going back to the tickets to get the ones you prefer, but you always have to keep at least one card, so there is a bit of luck involved.

4. Takes less than an hour. We have young children and will often play this game after the kids go to sleep. The game time length is perfect. We can finish an entire game and still be in bed early enough.

We haven't played outside of just two people, but we can't wait to get our friends and family in on it.

Con

1. Only one con. The train and destination cards are rather small, which makes shuffling difficult. We plan to invest in the 1910 expansion, which should quell that complaint. Still, the game should come with standard sized cards.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.