Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 3,070 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,473 reviews
on January 17, 2016
So here's the deal this game is super fun just like everybody says so don't think my less than 5 star review indicates anything but that. We play it as a family and both the parents and the kids get really into it. High play and replay-ability, quick to learn but a LIFETIME TO MASTER and all that stuff like you'd expect based on everyone raving about it.

Observations / suggestions / etc:
- Requires a fairly big surface area given lots of cards and lots of pieces are part of this game
- Gameplay is super fast, you can get around the horn very quickly (4 players can play in 30 seconds total if they all just draw cards), so don't think you're going to be getting up to get a drink after your turn or anything. Or checking phones seriously just put them away. Good to agree on a set "break time" or something
- Total game time is also pretty fast but not silly fast. An hour or 90 minutes or so.
- If you play with people who are sneaky you should think about wearing sunglasses so they can't see where you are looking on the board because it might give away your strategy if they could tell where you are focusing
- If you're playing against people who don't wear sunglasses try and watch their eyes so you can see where they are looking, it may give away their strategy and you can swoop in and take their routes and win the game that'll teach them
- The spot labeled Duluth is clearly in Minneapolis/St Paul and *everyone* who you play with from Minnesota will point it out
- I recommend some sort of "card holder" thing if you play with younger kids and/or people with smaller hands. We have some wooden boards with slots cut in them to hold cards and they help a ton in this game (and others). I put a picture of that up.

My only real critique of this game - and the reason it's 4 not 5 stars - is the board doesn't sit especially flat. You can see in the pictures I attached. At times you have what seems like a million little trains on the board and just having the board not sit flat makes it seem a bit cheap. This is all about MANUFACTURING quality however, not about GAMEPLAY quality.
review image review image review image
on July 16, 2006
Every year I buy my daughter at least three board games: one for Christmas, one for Three Kings Day and one for her birthday. It has become a tradition we both enjoy. I purchased TTR after reading excellent recommendations from other gamer parents on Boardgamegeek. I was not disappointed.

The game components are well made and beautiful, and the box is designed to store them well. This is very important, as the game has lots of pieces: cards, colorful plastic trains and wooden marker tokens.

Each turn lets you make decisions, play is never merely mechanical. Each time you play you will be able to choose one of three different actions: claim a train route, collect train cards or gather destination tickets. Each of those actions implies further decisions: Do you take a red train or a blue train? The short Duluth or Phoenix? Risk the big payoff tickets or keep only the safer, smaller points destinations?

The instructions are simple enough for non-gamers and children, but game play is engaging for all levels of play. The game accommodates both laid back and cutthroat gaming styles.

If your family games you should add this to your collection. If you are new to gaming and need a place to start, this is a fine first buy.
11 comment| 285 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2016
My husband and I were introduced to this game by friends and then he HAD to have it. We took it on vacation with my family and I think there were at least 3 games a day among various groups of people. Needless to say, it has become a go-to game when we are together with friends or family. You can play with just 2 people but I find that it is much more enjoyable and interesting with at least 4. We aren't into gaming at all but really enjoy the strategy that goes into this game and that you can complete the game in a reasonable time frame.

The board is a big map with destination cities. Each player has destination cards and the goal is to get from one destination to another by linking train pieces across the map. You connect city to city by collecting and playing cards of different colors. Earn points by connecting cities - the longer the distance, the more points. Once a destination route is complete, you also earn points for that card. A shorter distance (New York to Chicago) is worth less than longer distances (New York to LA). Of course there are different rules for collecting and using cards, how to score points, etc. that you can read into deeper once you purchase.
on June 21, 2016
This is a great game of strategy as players attempt to create train routes from city to city. At each turn, you have to decide whether to draw new train cards, claim a route, or draw new destination cards. Points are based on multiple factors: completion of the longest route and completion of the routes on the destination cards that the player draws, What I like about this game is that multiple strategies work (versus a game like Monopoly where the strategy is always the same - just buy everything). It's a great game for 2 - 4 players, takes about 45 minutes per game, and is enjoyable for adults and kids. It's an easy game to learn and the rules are pretty straightforward. The illustrations on the board are nice and it's completely family friendly. Other than a few lessons in geography, it's not particularly educational. This version is all in North America (mostly U.S. cities with a few Canadian locations). There are also Europe and other versions available. I have both the board game and the card game and while I like both, the board game is much easier to follow and more visually appealing. The card game requires players to remember what they've played rather than being able to see it on the board. The only thing I would change is maybe having a larger version that could be played by more people. Highly recommend this!
on March 7, 2017
I can see why this game became an instant classic. Finally picked up this game after seeing it at the top of every blogger's "Top ### Games" lists - And it's a blast. It's an easily accessible game, yet still deep enough to reward "power" gamers. It does a great job of building tension, as well... As you see the trains your opponents have remaining to place begin to dwindle, signifying the end game - And you still have two routes in your hand that you're trying to complete.

I see this becoming any family's go-to board game.
on March 21, 2017
This game is an awesome game for the entire family. Extremely easy to learn. We read through the rules and pretty much had it figured out before we even read the last couple pages. I have not played the Europe version, but those who leave bad reviews for this game just because they think the Europe version is better (which it may very well be) are downing a fun and exciting game. i have played euro style games before and own very highly confusing but fun games, but i can tell this game would have been a great intro to Euro style games if it had been my first. This was the first game we included my 5 year old daughter and she understood fairly fast and really loved to play with us. As far as RULES this game is easy as can be, but as some reviews have said the game is challenging. This is because you have be strategic to beat your opponent NOT because its a hard game to play. I am absolutely glad i purchased this and will ADD the Europe version to my collection as well. I look to many many hours of fun with BOTH games
on August 13, 2013
Something about this game really draws me in! I could play this game every night and never lose interest. Every game is different. Every game takes skill and strategy and not just luck. Part of what I like about this game is the quality of the design. The instructions, the inserts, on down to the box it comes in are beautiful. When I'm playing the game it makes me feel like I'm actually building real-life train tracks ... this is probably aided by the introduction to the game where it tells about rich old friends meeting once each year and betting on who could get to a certain destination cheapest and fastest ... or something like that. I would recommend this game to anyone. It's challenging, pretty, and fun.
on March 18, 2017
Ticket to Ride is okay. It's obviously a gateway game. At the time that I bought it, I was new to the euro gaming scene. I didn't buy it because I was on the fence about wanting to play such games, but because it was known to be such a popular game. Since having bought and played so many deeper euro games, I kind of wish that I hadn't bought this one. Sure, it's a good game, but definitely for the lighter gamer. Still recommended, though.
on February 27, 2017
We bought this game for a Christmas present for my granddaughter, She is a college students and just had the time to open it. Half of the destination cards are defective. They are misprinted which makes game play confusing. This is only my second ever disappointment with as much as I have ordered over the years. Which is still great to me upside most places.. SZ
on February 2, 2016
We picked this up for family game nights. We've only played it a few times so far, but we all really liked it. My kids are 11 and 8 and both were able to play by themselves. However, while the 8 year old understood how play when it was her turn, she failed to understand or comprehend the overall objective- which is to complete the routes you picked (and kept in your hand). At the end of the game, while she had the most points for the number of rail cars, she ended up getting the most deductions for incomplete routes. So that resulted in a number of tears on her end and her insistence that she hates this game. However, when an adult is helping her and she is frequently reminded of the objective, she did better. So, perhaps it's not the best game for an 8 year old to play on her own. It's better for slightly older kids or if an adult helps the younger ones. Even so, we enjoyed the game and plan to buy the European version as well as more games from Days of Wonder.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.