Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $24.99 for a limited time only Grocery Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Echo Plus  Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 5, 2012
In the realm of Metal, few bands are as (in)famous as Mayhem. Most Metal bands that try to act and sound evil are just vying for attention and playing the part, but Mayhem is a band that has truly earned their reputation. It took me a while to look past the controversy surrounding the band and actually build up the courage to listen to the music, but I am truly glad I did, because this album is an absolute masterpiece.

This also served as my introduction to Black Metal (unless you count Cradle of Flith and Dimmu Borgir, which I'm not sure many people will), and what an introduction it is! From the opening chords of "Funeral Fog" to the last of "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas", this album is completely enthralling. Attila's vocals are some of the creepiest I've ever heard. I personally think Dead would have been better on this album, but Attila really gives a superb performance here. His gravelly snarls and operatic cleans are some of the best in Black Metal and send a chill down my spine every listen. Hellhammer's drumning is also mindblowing with numerous fills and some of the tightest blast beats around. The bass is often buried (by time and dust, one might say?) in the mix but when it does show up, it is very good. The guitars are brilliant, some of the best in Black Metal. The atomosphere is another focal point: Truly spellbinding, chilling, and creepy as Hell. Ideal for Halloween night.

All in all, a true masterpiece in Black Metal and a great introduction to people new to the genre.

Favorite tracks: "Funeral Fog", "Buried By Time and Dust", "Cursed In Eternity", "From the Dark Past", "Pagan Fears", and "Freezing Moon"
on July 8, 2017
It's a back on black pressing which are normally hit or miss. This one is a hit. Purple press looks good. Color on cover is a bit off and says The True Mayhem instead of just Mayhem which is kind of lame. Music is classic.
on November 6, 2009
I actually owned all the Mayhem albums before I finally got this one as I usually don't care much for overhyped albums. Well... I must say that it really isn't even close as to the best album from these guys. This one is just amazing. Must say it is actually rekindling my interest in Black Metal as a whole. Just a great, great CD all the way through but I must admit that Freezing Moon is the best BM song I've ever heard. Epic and cold.

In the end, the vocals really just make the album IMO. The drumming is superb as well and as a whole the album is just really impressive.

Update: Aug 13 - It been years now since I first heard this CD and I must say it is probably in my top 5 favorite albums ever. There is just some innate about it that I can't quite put my finger on. Mayhem just sounds so cold, evil and nasty and they sound super raw here. This is simply put a masterpiece.
on October 6, 2017
I'm not a hardcore black metal fan, but a metal fan nevertheless. I enjoy collecting quintessential albums of metal genres and this is definitely one of them.
on July 21, 2004
Mayhem were one of the first black metal bands I ever heard and I was immediately hooked. Great necro guitar riffs by Euronymous, blast beat drumming by the mighty Hellhammer, Varg Vikernes on bass and the very odd vocals of Attila. He's the weakest link on this record, but he's not as awful as some say. In fact some of his vocals are very effective such as on Pagan Fears, at other times he is truly wretched. What the hell was he doing with those pseudo operatic vocals on the title track "De Mysteriis Dom Satanas"?!?! other than screwing it up I mean. Its no wonder that when Hellhammer reformed Mayhem after Euronymous' death and Vargs' incarceration that Attila was not asked to join.
Atilla notwithstanding, this album is quintesential underground black metal, its dark, heavy, primitive and grim. An evil classic by the band that founded the Norwegian Black Metal scene.
on February 20, 2016
the infamous album that took so long to make due to the chaos in the band. pass through the dark vale...
on July 24, 2017
a must have for any metalhead
on March 25, 2017
My baby son loves
on June 25, 2017
Exelent!
on November 27, 2013
I love this album, eerie, haunting, intense, this is the perfect black metal album!!! Buy it now long live Mayhem!!!!!