Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on October 6, 2012
I decided to buy a new toaster oven because my old one (not all that old) has push controls that are not always responsive and I wanted the old fashioned knobs. This model has knobs. It also looks good along with my other counter top appliances. I like the panini feature because it's useful for several things - e.g., keeping my tortillas flat when I heat them up. And I like the grilling/broiling tray a lot. One reviewer mentioned that it took 10 minutes for toast. I don't have that problem; in fact, a bit the opposite and I have to be careful I don't "over" toast. I do find some uneven heating. The most annoying thing I've found is that there is no timer for the oven on this model. The toast/panini timers are not suitable for timing something in the oven. I was also surprised to learn that there is no convection feature on the oven. And while the blurbs extoll the size of the oven, I find it a bit on the small side; certainly smaller than my older toaster oven. So while I like the oven, I think it's overpriced considering what it doesn't have; viz.; an oven timer and a convection feature, along with a rather small oven. And the crumb tray has to be removed from the back, necessitating moving the oven. Since my older toaster oven has both features this one is lacking, a larger oven, and a front removal crumb tray (and it was cheaper) I've kept it for baking when I want a convection oven with a timer that shuts off the oven when the time is complete but don't want to use my stove.
on September 7, 2014
OK, I tried to like this oven, because it's not cheap and it does bake, broil, etc. But a couple things - first, it's BIG. Really. Check the measurements. It's not a little toaster/broiler for an apartment. I tried it on every counter and it's a monster. But ok, that can be a good thing, right? You can roast a chicken in it. The thing is, it's also sold as a combo oven AND pannini maker - you know, those hot sandwiches where all the cheese and meat and veggies get heated and smushed together - delicious, normally. The problem is a real pannini maker has a heavy griddle type thing that "sandwiches" your sandwic - a flat hot grill plate on the top and one on the bottom. The DeLonghi has a kind of net of wires (picture a cooling rack that you use for baking) that comes down on your sandwich - but they, the wires are thin, so your bread will smush up in between and basically stick to the whole thing and make a mess. I tried spraying olive oil on the bread, tried butter...it just never was right. This is not for panninis - for that, buy a Cuisineart specifically made for that. This is one big ol' oven. Great if you don't have an oven but realize, it's as big as a microwave. It's fancy and beautiful but in the end, after trying for a couple years to like it, I gave it away - and bought a smaller countertop toaster oven and a separate pannini maker. Hope this helps!
on January 18, 2013
We've had this product just a few days, so I'm not yet able to comment on longevity. I plan to use it for more than toast, but so far we've used it just for toast and bagels. Here's what we love (and could not find among a thorough search of other toaster ovens):
- It's VERY easy to toast items. We tend to leave the relevant dial on "Toast" - so it's just a simple twist of another dial to desired toasting result (light, med, or dark). This range is very wide, so a change of 1 or 2 mm does not equate to the difference between perfect toasting and burning the toast. Again, this was the case with the other toaster oven we tried, and seems to be a common pitfall of other brands. Also, the dials are comfortable and easy to grip & move.
- It takes a while to toast, which could be a negative for some. For us, it means that we don't end up with burnt toast...even if I'm tending to five other things and happen to leave the toast in the oven for a couple minutes after the bell goes off. This could be annoying for a household of just one or two adults, but in a busy family household, it's great.
- The device does not give off a ton of heat like the prior toaster oven we tried (and as many reviews of other models complain about), and the handle poses zero danger of burning oneself. This is especially helpful when older children start making their own toast.
- I'd been hoping to find a toaster oven that had all of these qualities and also pulled the tray out upon opening the door. This model does not pull the tray out, but I've been able to slide toast out easily without coming into contact with part of the oven. The wire rack is flat, so just make sure to slide it in with the bars resting on top...that way you won't hit the crossbar when sliding the toast out.
- Another feature that's great (and that seems to be a problem with other brands) is the oven door. It opens smoothly, does not fall to the counter (does not even touch the counter when fully opened), and though spring-loaded to close, does not slam shut.
- Longevity seems to be an issue with many toaster ovens, even the very high-end ones. I'm hopeful that the manual controls on this one will prevent the sudden death that many experience with toaster ovens that are digitally controlled. Time will tell.
- We haven't tried the panini function yet, so no comments there. The grill tray that comes with is heavy-duty, seems good quality. Didn't want to hold up my review until we get around to it.
- Since this oven has the bump-out to accommodate pizzas, I ordered an inexpensive pizza pan that is made to fit toaster ovens.
- Probably the only negative is that the crumb tray is accessed in back. Not a big criterion for me, but it may be if you empty your crumb tray daily. Once a week works fine for us.
on November 15, 2013
Tom Thomson wrote "there is no timer for the oven on this model." He was refering to the DeLonghi EOP2046. But the toaster (non-digital) timer was also an issue with us. Their non-digital toaster timer did not show minutes an or seconds on it. We even spoke with the manufacturer about all of our EOP2046 timer issues and got no where. My wife, wanted a small toaster oven unit for toasting. But our focus though was simply on the replacing our old toaster oven with a highly rated replacemeant unit. The EOP2046 seemed to fit that description. But we did not know about timer issues. We could have rated the unit 4 or 5 stars if it were not for the timer issue. "As is," the unit is 1 star.

But instead of returning the unit we purchased the necessary electronic components to build an external digital countdown timer. Our countdown timer's time range can be set for 1 minute up to 24 hours! For toast 6 minutes works just fine. For the oven it depends on what you are cooking. How could such an expensive unit come without a timer (the light/dark setting for the toast stopped working a few weeks after purchase).

If you are willing to purchase and external countdown timer then the unit is 4 to 5 stars. But "as is" it is only 1 star.

We purchased this item from Amazon August 3, 2013.
tom thompson wrote: This review is from: DeLonghi EOP2046 Toaster Oven with Integrated Panini Press (Kitchen)
on February 25, 2013
I've only had this product since Friday evening (just 2 full days).

We've reheated leftovers - 2 thumbs up. It was very quick.
Toasted buns - 2 thumbs up. Good toast is a lovely, lovely thing.
Panini - 2 thumbs up. Made both savory and sweet. Loved the recipe book which gave us ideas.

Downer - the timer for the panini worked for the first panini and died thereafter. Problem with this is a) it's supposed to work and b) when the timer goes off, it's supposed to turn off the power. When we realized what happened, we had to monitor the panini to avoid burning. Thankfully, there is a separate turn off switch (the left dial which sets the function) otherwise this would really, really NOT be a good thing. I know these spring-mechanism timers don't last forever but it should last longer than 1 day. To us this is minor, relatively speaking.

We won't return it unless something else malfunctions but I think contacting DeLonghi is in order.

Overall - performance is good. We really like it. I'll update this if more stuff goes wrong but let's hope not.

UPDATE 10/22/2013

So far we are really liking this. It reheats quickly. It toasts very well although be careful as we had a problem with toast positioning - the back heats faster than the front. The panini function is still great. We purchased a separate simple timer and that solved no timer issue. The timer that broke shortly after our purchase we managed to get working again. Not sure how I did that but I'll take it.
on February 24, 2012
UPDATE 2:

After a month of use, I'm growing very attached to this toaster. It took the heating element a few weeks to get up to full capacity, and now it's quite good.

Today, I used the panini element to bake/heat corn tortillas. MMM. Excellent, and much easier and healthier than pan fried. I'm loving our homemade Tex-Mex. I've baked in it (brownies), I've toasted in it, I've made panini sandwiches. My son has baked countless frozen pizzas in it by himself (he's a tween).

It's a bit more than a non-panini toaster, but I find that we do use the top grill and that the integration helps us save space.

UPDATE:

After a week of use, the heating element seems to be working better than when we first got it.

I'd have to say it's a pretty good toaster oven now that it toasts better and faster. Give it a week to get into condition before jumping to conclusions about its baking power.

===========================

We started out by making panini in this toaster. It was great. Then, we tried toasting bread. . .funny . . .it didn't come out quite right and took a long time. Now, we panini our toast.

I also tried making a frozen pizza. It fits well, but didn't bake as well as our older DeLonghi toaster did.

Overall though, it is a nice space saver for those who like toasted sandwiches, and the toast (when paninied) is beautiful. The look of the toaster is also modern and appealing.
22 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 6, 2010
I have used the oven for toasting, baking, keep warm & Panini & was very satisfied with each outcome. My DH really likes the Panini's. The toast takes a little longer than a regular toaster, but to me it is worth the wait. It toasts on both sides, unlike most toaster ovens. All in all, I am very pleased & would recommend. Five Star rating.
11 comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 12, 2018
Bought this MANY years ago (7?) and it's still going strong! I use it for so many things!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 16, 2016
Best toaster and panini maker on the market. Roasting vegetables...keeps me away from turning on the oven and heating up the house....bought another one for a relative as well.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 12, 2013
Excellent quality... works well. Cannot really be used as an 'oven' unless cooking for one person. Even a 8x8 Pyrex doesn't fit. Also, there's no timer (which is a problem for some, but I just use the timer on my microwave).