Other Sellers on Amazon
Dead Man's Hand (The Caden Chronicles) Paperback – October 28, 2012
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
From the Author
Questions written by Ali Floyd
Reporter Name: ________________________________ Date: _____________
Advanced Book Report _______ Points
Directions: Answer as many questions as you can.
Book title ______________________________Author ________________________Copyright date _____________Number of pages___________
- Describe the setting of the story.
- Summarize the plot.
- Who is a protagonist (Main Character)? Describe that character.
- Who is an antagonist (Opposes main character)? Describe that character.
- What are the major and minor external and internal conflicts (Problems) in the story?
- Major External Conflicts
- Minor External Conflict
- Major Internal Conflicts
- Minor Internal Conflict
- Who was the murder victim?
- List as many of the suspects as you can.
- Which suspect was on the top of the list?
- Who kept on popping up everywhere Nick went?
- List as many clues as you can.
- Where were clues planted?
- What clues turned out to have nothing to do with the case?
- Who planted the Bible in Nick's room?
- Who owned the Dodge Charger in the barn?
- What are the top two rules about investigations and suspects?
- What is the turning point or climax of the story?
- What is the climax of the story?
- Write a memorable (quote/ citation / line) from the story and explain it.
- What is the theme or message from the story?
- How does the story end?
- Who was the killer?
EXTRA CREDIT BONUS QUESTIONS
- What did Annie give Nick at the end of the book?
- What kind of bite was on Jess?
- What is the name of Wyatt Earp's horse?
- At the very beginning of the story what did Nick want?
- What was Nick's "status change"? ("Status change" is where a character gains or loses power, prestige, wealth, status, and responsibility.)
- When was Nick's "dark moment" when all seemed lost and he would not be able to solve the case?
Q: Why should a boy or girl begin reading the Monster Series?
Novels in the Monster Series are fast, fun, clean teen and tween books. Boys and girls will fall in love with the quirky characters Nick meets, their oddball antics, and the way Nick solves murder cases by watching police and detective shows - all while Nick displays daring confidence (while also finding trouble and danger).
Q: Why should parents buy the Monster Series for their boys and girls?
Parents will appreciate the clean elements and moral values that avoid profanity and sexual situations. As an imperfect teen sleuth, Nick is troubled by the phoniness he sees around him and the lies of others that pass for facts. Above all, he wants to find the truth. This drives him to act in ways that lead him towards danger. Nick believes his generation, more than any other before it, needs to seek truth and that can only be found by asking hard questions.
His parents may know some things and authority figures may have it all figured out, but Nick knows things are not always as they seem. Until something is examined, tested, and found true, only then can it be counted upon. Each book has some romance, but it's innocent and clean. The girls who help Nick solve the cases are independent, smart, brave, and often see things Nick overlooks.
Q: What age is appropriate for these books?
The Monster Series is appropriate for mature fifth grade readers. Other parents may choose sixth or seventh grade, due to the fact that Nick IS solving a murder. Due to his study (TV watching) of crimes and murder cases, he also thinks and acts like a more seasoned detective might. It's also a great, nostalgic read for adults who enjoyed the Hardy Boys series!
Q: What is the theme of this story?
What IF a spirits could be seen and heard? Would you believe?
"When the disciples saw Jesus walking on the lake, they were terrified. 'It's a ghost,' they said, and cried out in fear. - "Book of Matthew" 14:25
- Grade level : 6 - 11
- Item Weight : 5.7 ounces
- Paperback : 224 pages
- ISBN-10 : 0310723442
- ISBN-13 : 978-0310723448
- Dimensions : 5.38 x 0.63 x 8 inches
- Publisher : Zonderkidz (October 28, 2012)
- Reading level : Baby - 17 years
- Language: : English
- Best Sellers Rank: #396,395 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I love Deadwood. Been there several times since I live in South Dakota. Dead Man's Hand brings it alive ... or in this case ... dead? There's action on every page, leading to an exciting conclusion. As stated in the book description, It's a Wild, West, ride. And I loved it!
I found myself entranced with the action of the story and anxiously awaiting Nick's escape from constant danger. Now I can pass the book along to my young friend, Parker. I sure hope he can handle the graveyard scenes and vampires better than I did. I received a complimentary copy of Skull Creek Stakeout but this is my honest review. Phyllis Q Freeman
I'm old enough to have read the original Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew series as a kid and I found myself drawn into the story, wanting to keep reading until I discovered who committed the murder and what happened to the body. I did figure it out about 3/4 of the way through the book but that didn't make the ending any less interesting.
In my opinion, young teens will really enjoy this mystery.