Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 126 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 219 reviews
on June 1, 2014
This is, without a doubt, my favorite Norwegian zombie movie.
Loosely based on the draugen folktales, the plot involves Nazis who were killed for robbing and terrorizing the people who lived in and around Oksfjord. Ever since then, the Nazi undead have been on the lookout for their missing loot, seeking to reclaim it wherever it's found. In this case, part of their `treasure' is in a box beneath the cabin of a woman, Sara, who's waiting to meet a few friends there for Easter vacation. The hostess doesn't show up but her 7 friends do. Before you can say, having an outhouse is a really bad downgrade in a vacation home; the bodies start to pile up. This film is equal parts humorous and horrifying. I liked it for its audacity and style, choosing to ignore its lack of originality. It is, after all, just another variation of a slasher/splatter flick where a group of people are isolated in a cabin and picked off one by one. There's also the obligatory creepy guy who reveals the history of the area to the unsuspecting campers. This film also relies heavily on jump scares (very effective but not entirely original). I did love the use of Grieg's In the Hall of the Mountain King during the opening sequence. I also love that one of the characters, Roy, picks up a hammer and sickle to attack the Nazi zombie horde (very ironic). I've watched this movie twice, listening to the original Norwegian language with English subtitles. It is incredibly fun and has a prominent place in my collection. (I purchased it based entirely on the cover art on the DVD and I'm glad I took the chance. It's a great `find.')

The director/writer of Dead Snow, Tommy Wirkola, also wrote and directed Hanzel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. He is also involved in making the sequels to both films. I am of course anxiously waiting for Dead Snow: Red VS Dead to come out on DVD (it is currently still in theaters abroad).
on February 19, 2015
Well, here we have another Nazi Zombie movie, well, the only other one that I can think of was "shockwave" but those are undersea Nazi Zombies....this is a Norwegian installment and we watched it dubbed in English instead of the subtitles (I thought they would be white letters and most of the movie is in the Norwegian Snow, so I figured that we would have trouble reading it) and the dubbing wasn't great but it was okay. This is a very gory movie,very bloody and the lesson is don't touch the Nazi's gold. The reason that this was 4 instead of 5 stars was that very simply, there was only one character that I even cared a little about (the snowmobile guy, don't remember his name). All the others I was rooting for their demise.
on August 6, 2015
If you like zombie flicks, this is a must have to your collection, with tongue in cheek humor, combined with horror, and and graphic, well done gore. I highly recommend this film. It's only con would be it's not been dubbed into English. I guess they just couldn't spring for that production cost, (it is a foreign low budget horror flick)!
on August 22, 2014
I saw Dead Snow and its sequel, Dead Snow 2 (Red vs Dead) in reverse order. The original is entertaining enough as yer fairly standard Nazi-zombie movie, though if this isn't your genre (it's usually not mine) you probably won't find it appealing. It's amusing in places and very well done overall. But the sequel is a very, very different matter: Dead Snow 2 (which my wife and I saw at a midnight showing in Seattle during the 2014 Film Festival) was the funniest movie I've seen in ages. Brilliantly scripted, totally camp, and laugh-out-loud funny for much of its length. I expected something similarly brilliant and inspired from the original, but it's just not there.

But I can't wait for Dead Snow 2 to come out on DVD... even if you don't usually watch zombie flicks, that's one not to miss.
on December 16, 2012
This movie is about five vacationing medical students who have traveled to Norway for a break. They set up shop in a cabin to begin having fun. All of
a sudden strange things begin taking place. They are finally attacked by zombie looking creatures who were Nazis. Their guide finds the Nazzi-Zombies headquarters. He launches off into a ferocious battle with several Nazi-Zombies. If you like bloody battles this is your movie. The rest of the vacationers
decide to make an escape attempt. They too have an ugly fight with the Nazi-Zombies. At the cabin they have found some Nazi gold. They each pilfer some
Nazi treasure. At the end of the movie you discover what the Nazi-Zombies are guarding. Quiet an exciting movie.
on November 30, 2016
WELL WRITTEN. CAST, CREW, PRODUCERS, AND DIRECTION WAS FLUID. A TIMELESS CLASSIC CULT FILM>>>ABSOLUTELY-FLIPPING-BANANAS!!!
on July 26, 2013
To some extent, this follows the standard "cabin in the woods" genre of horror films (20-somethings in a remote cabin get stalked / brutally killed by supernatural / paranormal beings, etc). In this case, the beings are Nazi zombies, bent on retaining control over WWII gold. The scandanavian (Norweigan? Swedish?) interpretation of the standard American occult / horror flick is good in terms of plot, dialog, suspense, etc, The make-up, special effects, etc, re: the Nazi zombies are outstanding (especially the Nazi zombie officer), as are some of the film's campier moments (enhanced by soundtrack selections). Be forewarned that there is some emphasis on entrails (especially intestines), so the film isn't for the squeamish (but then again, would the squeamish be watching Nazi zombie films to begin with?). If you are googling "Nazi" "zombie" "movies," this is for you.
on June 12, 2013
I am 58 years old & this movie just freaked me!! Has to be THE scariest movie I've seen, ever!! BUT, I will say that it was a GOOD fun scare!!!! I had to laugh at myself for being this old & yet I found myself yelling out loud at certain moments during the film. And, the ending!!! Just when you think you can relax...BAM!!! Here we go again!!! I loved it!! So, if you want a good old SCARE, get this movie!!
on February 26, 2010
I'm a sucker for zombie movies, love horror and especially this genre. How can one make a zombie movie where it doesn't feel like a re- tread of other zombie movies? It's tough, because well Romero is the God Father of the Undead.
In my most humble opinion Shaun of the Dead was a nice fresh zombie movie to come out in past 10 years, and 28 Days Later and it's shall I dare say the better sequel 28 Weeks Later?

Dead Snow a Norwegian horror import is a homage to Romero, and Evil Dead most notably, even a character says, "How many horror movies started off with 6 people in a cabin in the woods?" Goes to show what you are in for.

Ok so you can read the plot synopsis on other reviews here's my Pros and Cons

Pros: nice gore effects, cool zombie kills (a machine gun mounted on a snowmobile, pretty kick a**), scenes that give homage to Evil Dead and Dawn of the Dead, (remember in DOTD the elevator door opens and lots and lots of zombies pull one of the guys in.... it was done in Shaun of the Dead also, a similar scene in this too) nice twists in who lives and who dies, doesn't follow Hollywood formulaic slasher rules, female actresses in this are very attractive, nice to have our protagonists fight Nazi Zombies hasn't been done in a while, there's no epidemic, no virus that turns you into a zombie in this movie, cool soundtrack

Cons: Trying to be Shaun of the Dead, as in have brutal zombie violence then punctuated through out with some off kilter humor (There's even a scene where two guys go in the shed and find a plethora of tools, a chainsaw to be one, a chainsaw is always in a zombie movie for some reason, it's a nasty way to kill those gosh darn undead I guess. The 2 guys use these tools to kill the Zombie Blitzkrieg onslaught. I believe it's a tough balance trying to do something serious then comedy, Shaun of the Dead was a prefect Zom/Com movie and Zombieland, then there's 28 Days Later a more brood, serious, zombie flick. It's like you gotta pick one or the other. some of the characters were cliques, got the fat funny guy, the "good guy" of the movie, the sweet couple, a crazy creepy old guy, the smart ass of the group etc.... anyways coulda used a little more T&A also

Over all good entertainment, 90 something minutes good run time, if you love zombie movies check this one out.
on February 4, 2013
It has subtitles. So, read fast. It's a unique idea somewhat to use the German soldiers as the "zombies", but the storyline has a lot to be desired. It was comical in some areas (although to others it may not have been funny, but I'm a horror fan so this was funny not scary to me). Whoever wrote the lines has a hate on for Nokia, see if you catch that part of it. I did and it cracked me up. I can't say much more without giving things away. Story is decent, horror part not so much. I would say it's not that I didn't like it, it's more I was expecting something more in the horror range and not in the spoof category. Intentional or not, that's how it comes across to me.