Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(4 star). See all 146 reviews
on March 27, 2007
When the pilot for The Dead Zone television series was aired a few years ago, I remember watching a little bit of it and not being overly impressed. Of course, I've seen the movie with Christopher Walken about twenty times, and it was difficult for me to imagine anyone else taking over the role of Johnny Smith. Add to that the fact that Anthony Michael Hall was doing the lead, and you'll understand why I threw my hands up in the air in frustration, lamenting to myself on how TV screws up everything it touches by Stephen King. I mean I still see Hall as the young, dorky teenager in The Breakfast Club. Well, all I have to say is shame on me. Anyway, I just purchased the pilot TV movie and the first four seasons of The Dead Zone. I wanted to give Anthony Michael Hall and the show another chance, and I'm glad I did. Though I had some problems with the pilot and the changes that had been made from the novel (for example, when Johnny wakes up from his coma, he discovers that Sarah is married to Sheriff Bannerman and that his mother is already dead and that she'd remarried while he was in a comma to the good Reverend Purdy, who's now Johnny's step-father and guardian), I still found myself enjoying it. It took me a while to stop seeing Christopher Walken as Johnny and to accept Anthony Michael Hall in the role, but the important thing is that I did. It's the episodes of the first season, however, that really grabbed me. I gradually accepted the changes that had been made and got into the flow of the characters and what was happening to them.

Though this isn't evident in the description of the first season's boxed set, the TV pilot movie is included in this as the first two episodes. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have purchased the pilot movie separately. Now with regards to the other eleven episodes, some of them work better than others, but all of the shows are good. There's one episode where a down-on-his-luck electrician decides to rob the local bank. Sarah's cashing a check in the bank when the robbery goes down. Johnny has a vision in which he sees everyone in the bank dying when the police try to take out the robber. He decides to enter the bank and to see if he can change the outcome. What made this particular episode so good was Stephen Miller, who plays the electrician. He gives his character heart and soul, and before the show is over, you not only understand what's he going through, but you're also hoping that he won't be killed. In another episode an elderly man (Arty) sees a young woman in New York City who looks just like his long-lost fiancé (Abby), whom he never saw again after World War II. The man begs Johnny to check it out, and in the visions that Johnny later has, he travels back to the beginning of the war and meets the woman that Arty was so in love with. Elizabeth Ann Bennett plays Abby, and once you see her, you clearly understand why Arty loved her so much. She's the type of woman that any man would fall in love with. I guess you could say that she kind of stole my heart, too. In still another episode, Johnny travels to what I can only describe as a parallel universe and sees what it would've been like if he'd never been in the car accident and had married Sarah. It's almost heartbreaking because Johnny doesn't know which life is the real one. There's one episode that I couldn't quite buy. In it, Johnny and his friend, Bruce, stop in a small town to get something to eat. A murder has just taken place the night before and a young girl is still missing. There are satanic overtones to the murder. When Johnny offers to help the police solve the case, the town's people begin think that he's the killer because of his psychic ability and want to literally burn him at the stake. I had trouble with the premise of a town of supposedly rational people being manipulated into murdering someone by a few crazy individuals. I will say that the final episode, which introduces Greg Stillson to the audience, accomplishes what it was meant to do. It hooks you and then makes you want to immediately watch the second season. That's why I took a big chance and got all four seasons at one time. If I enjoyed season one, I didn't want to have to wait two-to-three weeks to get the next boxed set.

All in all, the majority of the episodes in season one are pretty good. There's humor, suspense, and a lot of heart that makes you care about the individual characters. The regulars who support Anthony Michael Hall all do an excellent job in their roles. I've grown to like Nicole DeBoer, who plays Sarah. I kept seeing Brooke Adams in the role from the original movie for a while. Chris Bruno does a good job of playing Sheriff Bannerman, who's a person that is caught between the woman he loves and the man that she still loves, while growing to depend on Johnny for his help in solving many of the cases that come up. John L. Adams, who plays Johnny's physical therapist and close friend, is also his sounding board and the origin for a lot of the humor that takes place in the series. Last, but not least, is Kirsten Dalton, who plays the sultry redheaded newspaper reporter that's a threat to Sarah and her relationship with Johnny. All the episodes have commentaries, and at the end of each disc, there's a behind-the-scenes featurette that deals with such things as the making of the show, its guest stars, and its visual effects and music. If you're a Stephen King fan and haven't yet watched this television series, then you owe it to yourself to either buy, or rent, the first season and to check it out for yourself. I think you'll find yourself hooked like I did.
on June 5, 2003
When I heard this show was coming out, I had no intention of watching it at all. I am not into psychic phenomena or all that sort of stuff. But I caught the pilot episode on an encore airing on the Sci-Fi channel one Friday night and was hooked from then on.
If you've read the original book or the reviews here, then you already know that "The Dead Zone" is about a man named Johnny Smith who lives a charmed life in a quiet Maine town. Until a car accident and a LLLOOOONNNNNGGGG coma take all that away. When he wakes up, he finds he has the ability to see visions simply by touching people, seeing both their futures and pasts.
Anthony Michael Hall gives a quiet but compelling performance as Johnny Smith, trying to fit in again... Another great character is Bruce (John L. Adams), Johnny's physical therapist and best friend. Bruce brings the show humor and warmth, helping Johnny cope with his unwanted "gift" and trying to discourage Johnny's obsessive pursuit of Greg Stillson. Another interesting character is David Ogden Stiers' Rev. Eugene Purdy. At first, I was concerned that Purdy was going to become a charicature, one of those televangelists squeezing people for money. But so far his character has been supportive of Johnny's gift and has tried to show Johnny care and concern for his well-being. He often leads the viewer to wonder exactly where his intentions truly lie, but so far he's turned out to be one of Johnny's allies.
As soon as this comes out on dvd, I am DEFINITELY getting it! It is worth it, believe me.
on June 9, 2005
Firstly, I should point out that I am a huge fan of the show, and if I was rating the content alone, this would be a five star review, no question.

I found myself rather disappointed when I openned the box to discover, as other reviewers have noted, an empty disc slot. Should you be considering purchasing this product, please be aware that the Pilot referred to elsewhere on these pages and in the packaging is the original, unaired pilot. All aired episodes from season one, including Wheel of Life and What It Seems (where Jonny gets into the crash and goes into the coma) ARE included. The major difference with pilots is that Gene Purdy is played by (I'm informed)Michael Moriarty.

This should not have been a problem, as other reviewers have noted that there is a mail-in rebate card which will get you the pilot DVD. Sadly, this offer expired in 2003 and the 'bounceback' card is no longer available with newly shipped boxsets.

My second gripe is relatively minor...no slip case was provided (ever, apparently) with this product, so it's best to keep it firmly sandwiched between other stuff on your shelves.
on November 17, 2014
Season 1 and 2 were both decent, with season 1 being the better by far, but this show spirals down into total crap very quickly.
on August 23, 2003
I absolutely love the show and even pre-ordered the Season 1 set. Amazon.com shipped it to me right on time. I couldn't wait to see the TV Pilot Episode and ordered it right away. However, I have to agree with Joe that the unaired pilot episode should have been included with the set because I'm still waiting for mine to arrive from Lions Gate Films! My check cleared my bank on July 9th, so I know they have my money. I even e-mailed a few weeks ago asking Lions Gate to check on my order but have never gotten a response or my DVD.
on September 25, 2015
very good, lots of imagination
on June 29, 2006
Based on the book from Stephen King, this show will take you into how someone coming out of a coma can change so much. It will show you and take you into the conflicts that people have and how one guy will do the impossible to help them regardless that no one believes him. Overall this is a good season to own along with the others because without it you will not understand the show.
on November 18, 2014
watched it on tv and now at home
on February 11, 2004
From a book to a movie... and now to a TV Series, Stephen King should be proud.

And to begin with, the first season has a promising start. An introduction, a move around with the characters involve, the length of Johnny Smith's powers, the romance involve... and finally, the main reason why this show should be a worthy watch and a worthy collection to anyone who enjoys "The X-Files" early seasons or Stephen King's works.

With 13 episodes, the bonus are the extras involve in each disc. Interviews, documentaries & guest star list plus trailers and more to make you understand ever further about The Dead Zone.

Here's my advise, just one touch on your mouse, you can see it better... with the first season of The Dead Zone.
on November 2, 2013
I watched this show on USA and loved every minute of it. Anthony Michael Hall is so good in it.