Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Length: 12 Pairs|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,635 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,868 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 5, 2016
Other reviewers have mentioned the metal contact probe won't spring back after repeated use and unfortunately that's truth . Just one time inserting plug in a speaker/amp jack & removing it results in a loose less than secure connection, the probe crushes and doesn't spring back after the initial insertion, it's spent.
If you're a perfectionist about audio you'll be sending these back. The contact crushes and will not return to original shape.
I guess the majority of folks stick these together & forget about them & that's why so many people give high marks.
I'm using mine wth a Yamaha RX-A660 AV tuner and a 7.2 channel Klipsch reference speaker setup & had to be very careful with my wire routings so I didn't have to remove them.
For now they'll have to suffice but I'm in the market for some quality plugs that can be cycled.
In the past I've used a more classic style with dual set screws or the bfa type with non conductive plastic sheath. I found some here marketed by "eastone" that don't cost an arm and a leg.
If you have an application where you'll be changing your configuration and needing to plug/unplug these won't hold up.
If you look close at the probe design the split/ flared section represents a smaller area compared to others where the whole probe is segmented & expanded, so maybe it's the design & not the material.
The bottom line is that I'm not going to settle for an inferior product, especially when I have so much invested in every other component.
I'm not here to beat up on this product but I feel compelled to join the other reviewers to let you know the shortcomings.
Other than the above issue the design is adequate, the way the wire locks in is good and the body is solid metal with a grippy rubber strip, but is conductive and being a fat diameter run the risk of shorting against its neighbor.
I regret buying these and have asked to return them.
Unfortunately I can't recommend this product.
Two stars because they do work once.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 16, 2016
Shucks, with 87 percent of the 4,400 reviews being 5 star, how could I go wrong. Unfortunately, with my new Yamaha RX-V481 receiver initially I could not make these banana plugs insert into the receiver/amplifier. It turns out the four metal "springs" on the side of the plug protruded way too much to fit in the jacks. I was prepared to rate them as 1 star but figured there must be another way. Sure enough, when I manually squeezed the four springs on each plug, they shifted inward enough that the plugs would then comfortably fit. Actually the plug is well built if it fits, so I'll give it four stars subtracting one star for no help addressing issues I've found after 30 minutes of research.

But what about all those 1 star reviewers that say the plug then forever slips out after the first insertion? Nope, not here - I could then remove and reinsert the plug numerous times with the banana plug staying firmly in place.

Then again, you may find your gear has a removable plastic plug inside the banana plug! If so, here's how to remove it:
[...]

So bottom line, if you are plugging into a device with jacks that are a bit wide, then these are not the banana plugs for you! As it turns out the various sizes for banana plugs are:
0.8" (2mm aka "European")
0.125" (1/8 inch or 3mm is called a "miniature" or mini-banana)

Happy trails, Michael
0.16" (or 4mm is considered "regular" and is most common standard in the United States)
on January 3, 2017
Bought these as spares because I used my last pair of a previous purchase. Easy install as these have only two pieces instead of three like some other banana plugs. A snug fit on my audio connections without being too tight. They also have a short profile for limited spaces behind your audio units. Only lament is they could be a little shorter for flat up-against-the-wall install of my center back speaker. I was unable to use them for that "flush flat" application. Keep in mind that although they are gold plated, your speaker wire that you attach is still exposed to the air. So, over several years you will eventually get oxidation of the copper wires, not the gold plug. And, make sure you do not pull on the speaker wire to remove from your audio unit - that will result in wire detaching from the plug and likely stripping some of your copper. Instead, pull on the black plastic of the plug. That comes under the heading of Captain Obvious.....speaker wire ends are sufficiently tightened into the interior of the plug but not tight enough to withstand pulling on the wire as leverage.....because of course I've never done that before.
on May 25, 2016
Banana plugs are a simple thing ... and IMO they provide a useful, if utilitarian function. There are those that believe spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars on cables, connectors, plugs and jacks make enough of a sonic difference to justify the cost. While I do agree you are only as good as your weakest link and certainly I would agree spending thousands of dollars on an amp, DAC, source files and all the rest of our signal path only to lose sonic integrity via the connection(s) would be a silly thing to do, I do NOT hear a difference between something like these Sewell Direct plugs ($12 for 6 pair) vs. Transparent Ultra speaker cable and connectors (for example) costing thousands of dollars. But I will allow for personal taste, or personal preference IF in fact you hear a difference and they have the money (an obvious requirement in some cases!) with one caveat: Take a blind test for yourself. The reviews and other people's opinions will only get you so far. If you take a blind A-B test (or A-B-C, D, E ...) and prefer one over another every time enough to justify any cost difference, then that is the right decision for you. For me, I can't hear any difference and I'm using an all tube preamp, amp and hi res DAC and FLAC file source all sending audio to a pair of my DAS Monitor 8 near field speakers. I listened carefully until I was happy with everything (no hum or any other noise, no external introduction of artifacts not originally intended in the music, etc.) and then I just enjoy the music! But we are talking specifically here about the banana plugs! These allow you to splay back the individual wires all around the gold plated diameter and then screw the plug on which firmly secures the cable to the connector. Lots of surface area to pass the signal, great secure connection. Great consistency from one plug to the next and each pair has a red and a black collar to make keeping phase coherent ... I am using 12 AWG wire for 5' each side and this works for me. I highly recommend these.
on December 24, 2016
Returned. They look nice, work well and hold pretty tight tho my new double screw ones hold a bit tighter. The reason i returned is because as others have said, they loose their tight connection after just 1 time. Plugged them into my AVR once and they felt ok (not as tight as my new plugs which are only a tiny big more expensive. Parts Express banana plugs Part # 091-3626) and once i pulled them out i could already see the connection was flattened and putting them back in they were noticeably less tight. Would they still work? yes but i wasnt confident in years long use so returned them and got the ones i listed earlier. These new ones i plugged in and out a dozen times and they feel tighter. (they have the same kind of plug as the media bridge version but with a double screw sytsem which was super fast and easy and feel more secure. but if you really wanted tooles the media bridge would be my next choice)
on January 8, 2017
Has a clever integrated screw-in-body design that allows hooking up one of these plugs to a cable in a fraction of the time it takes with the more traditional screw or soldered post designs. Saved time becomes significant considering it takes 16 of these puppies to connect a 7.1 speaker home theater rig.

Banana plugs also remove the guesswork from threading a cable into a receiver's binding posts by touch in the tight confines of a AV cabinet or in a speaker tucked between furniture.

I was surprised that it took the relatively thick 14 AWG cable quite well. No soldering of the cable tips is needed or recommended for this gauge. However, for a cable this thick, it is somewhat difficult to get the plug teeth to catch a previously tinned cable.

On the other hand, for 16 or 18 AWG cable, being thinner, I recommend tinning the ends of the cable and bending to a J with nose pliers prior to installing for a positive grip.

I was resistant to use banana plugs before, but this design won me over.
on September 7, 2016
I've used countless brand name banana plugs in the past, I mean seriously countless, everything from no name cheapo piece of garbage to overpriced platinum coated "comes complete with a happy ending" selling point BS banana plugs, from screw terminal to clip-in, 0 to 90 degree angles and everything in between. After using these for the first time, I will never use another brand or style banana plug. These are the balls AND the sack, my friends.

Seriously speaking, I am a big guy. I have literally TRIED to pull 12 awg wire off of these once they're compressed on and, I mean I'm no Ahhnold but I can bench 300 pounds with no ego and, well, the wire strands started to break from within the wire itself before I stopped the test. When I unscrewed the plug to check the status on the inside, not a friggen strand of wire was out of place or showed ANY signs of strain.

Ok so physically they're built like brick sh*t houses, but let's get to brass tax, how do they sound? Awesome. I used a more expensive brand of the platinum rated over priced screw type connectors on the left speaker and these on the right speaker (receiver in mono for the test) and, well, my dog couldn't tell the difference and I trust his hearing far better than my own, never mind the fact that I couldn't hear a difference at all.

I know these aren't as easy on the wallet as other brands and types of connectors, and I also know that they ARE easy on the wallet compared to some other brands and types of connectors. I have been in car audio and home audio for over 20 years now, I'm not saying I am the guru of anything, please don't take that as a boast, I am a student of life, and in learning, I found that these are well worth the money you invest.
on August 21, 2016
Works well and system sounds great with these. The one page of (pictured) instructions was not straightforward for someone who has never used banana plugs (and they are not all the same), but I found online a video or instructions. (I always connected the wire ends (with insulation removed) directly into the speakers and receiver slots, with the clamps to hold the insulated wire). For this particular type of banana plug, you are to carefully remove a little more than the quarter or so inch I had removed before, of the copper wires' insulation for each wire end. Then you insert one end through the banana plug, then spread the wires out, and bend them back over the plug and screw on the plug's cap. This holds the wire firmly and you can insert it into the speaker (and the other end into the receiver). The contact to transmit sound is made with the bent part of the copper wires rather than the ends. Hope this helps another Sewell neophyte.
on April 6, 2017
I love this product. This is my 3rd set. I have not had issues, just keep getting more speakers and AVR components. Some people have stated an issue with how firm the plug fits into the back of their components, especially repeated in/out of components. I have noticed that it loosens slightly over time but as much as to be expected. Plus, if you installed everything properly, why would this be an issue? Do your AVR components move themselves or on some type of moving platform? If so, do a direct connect. I don't have any issue with these banana plugs removing themselves from my devices even with my 15" magnetic drive subwoofer on full blast causing my neighbors house to shake. I have to admit I enjoy the complaints, it means its working...
on April 11, 2017
When it comes to wiring and connections, people always go cheap and I don't know why. If you are putting the time and effort into a nice speaker system or home theater, why spend money on GOOD speakers and then go cheap on wiring and connections? I had used MonsterCable deadbolt banana plugs because of the easy-install design but they are terribly expensive, generally by about twice as much. On many A/V forums the questions come up about Monster audio vs. other brands and in nearly every forum I've visited, Sewell trumps the competition; and for good reason! You never lose connection, the wire is securely fastened in the connector, they are compact for close quarters behind a receiver (only adding about 1-1/2 inches with the wire bend), no cable strain - just all around a high quality product at an EXCELLENT price.