Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 748 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 812 reviews
VINE VOICEon September 19, 2014
UPDATE:

I am now a much happier camper now that I am on Book 7. The story is compelling. Some of the characters are more likable than others. At least one of them needs to be spanked.

I have been listening to Book 1 and then Book 2 on Audible. I also purchased book 3 on my kindle and audible. When that book ended, rather abruptly, when it had only played for 3 hours, I went to look up the versions of these books: What seemed like I kept getting interrupted to have to go buy more of the books turned out to be true.

It looks like the first 3 books of this series is about the size of one regular book. 4&5 make a second book and the 6, 7, & 8 are all about the length of regular, average, everyday books. The problem is that the first 4 books, bought as kindle and audible, cost about $18. That just bugs me.

SPOILER FOLLOWS
Now if I had been enjoying these books and not felt the characterization left a lot to be desired, I might not have noticed. But the father getting killed by zombies in the first chapter (or book), while is family is taking off on a boat and the mother feeling resistant to also sacrifice herself for their children, left me a little nonplussed. Luckily her children did not need her sacrifice because they wouldn't have gotten it. But it is not very long before she is flirting with the boat captain, playfully laughing about needing tampons. Really?

Interestingly, her absence of grief left me a more incredulous than zombies did.
66 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2014
For a free audio book Deadlocked 1 wasn't a bad story. Sure it was short, but it laid the ground work for a series that I will pursue, because I was able to be pulled in, identifying and caring for the characters. Here we are introduced to the beginning or the outbreak of the zombie apocalypse. Following one man, David, as he discovers what is happening to the world around him and somehow out smarts the living dead that wants him for lunch, while trying to save the ones he loves. Full of the demented people that always seem to emerge withing apocalyptic scenarios, scenes that could have been more tense than they were. Hordes of blood thirsty shambling "cannibals" as they were once referred to. Nothing stood out as a unique take on the genre, entertaining none the less. Then there was the ending that was a bit of a surprise but also helped everything make sense, along with the free preview of the next book in the series. Now I have to know what happens.

Audiobook purchased by me.

Please find this complete review and many others at audiobookreviewer dot com
on October 28, 2012
Review originally featured on Bookluvrs Haven Blog

I initially rated this 3 stars. Because at the time, I thought 'ya, I liked this'. But I revised my rating to 4 stars later on, because I kept thinking about this story, and went back to read it a second time.

This short story is jam packed with action from beginning to end. What I truly liked about it was that David, our main character, really does seem like your normal kind of guy. He is not greater than life. He is not even that impressive of a fighter, with any special kind of fighting skills. But he thinks quickly, and he is determined to get to his family and see them safe. The development of his character is really well done in such a short time, and I really was invested in David and wanted to know if he would succeed... PRAYED that he would succeed.

The zombie outbreak is brutal, and the loss of life as recounted in this short story is gruesome, as it should be. In that regard, this story is like most others in the genre. The ending was a surprise for me and I would really like to continue the series to explore where the writer will go with it.
on August 19, 2012
The following review is my opinion and not a paid review.

David is sitting at work thinking about the news that he received from his doctor informing him that he has cancer. Everyone else in the office is watching the news where they are reporting that people are eating each other. The reports from the tv breaks into David's thoughts and he hears what is being said about what is going on outside the office. David starts to worry about his family. He needs to get home to his wife and two daughters. Everyone is told that they can leave, go home be with your families.

David has a hard time getting across the city to his family. He ends up in the water and has to swim for a while until he reaches land. David finds out real quick that he is not in the water alone, they are zombies in the water with him. The zombies walk around in the water on the bottom because they are too heavy to float and can not swim.

David meets a couple of nice guys, a father and son when he makes it to land. They help him out by lending him their truck so that he can go get his family and bring them back to their place and then they will all escape together.
on January 25, 2015
Author, A. R. Wise had me hooked with "Deadlocked" right from the start. It has a unique twist in the 1st person short story that I've never seen before. Short, but with a lot of action - enough to satisfy readers for an afternoon read. This is a great lead-in to the Deadlocked Series and I plan to get the next book in the series immediately after this review. Great job Mr. Wise! I also want to mention that the author's afterword is also unique where he explains why he took the direction he did. I'm hoping the next book is just as good or better.

John Podlaski, author
Cherries - A Vietnam War Novel
on March 13, 2015
Super start to another great Zombies Series. It was super from page 1 to the end. Then went right into Book 2. This is one series you read right through to "Deadlocked 7". I would have left a review after each book, but no I had to keep going to the next book. So all I can say is I am so sorry to the Author (and will leave my ratings today, just couldn't stop), but so worth it. I am waiting on " Deadlocked 8". This is one Zombie Series I can say that needs to be put on your "Zombie Books Reading List". A must read for everyone!!!!!!!!
on March 30, 2013
Okay so I'm getting into ebooks now, so this was the first zombie novel that I read on an e-reader, and frankly this was a disappointment.

The story is pretty basic. You've got an average guy who has an average job and he is there when the zombie apocalypse happens and this is the story of him getting home to his family and getting them to safety. It's not a bad formula for a story, but this writer just didn't know how to make the characters interesting or make the reader invested what was happening in the story.

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

Right off the bat, the main character of David is just bland and not interesting at all. He has no characteristics that define him as a person other than he is a salesman who loves his family. Also right at the beginning I could tell that his best friend Barry was going to die and sure enough in like 10 pages he was fed to the meat grinder that was the zombie horde.

Also David's antics are just very unrealistic. David is racing up and down fire escapes, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, shimmying across power lines over the heads of legions of the undead and climbing trees with cat-like proficiency.

In a later scene he is swimming in a river and a motorboat runs him over but miraculously he is not ripped to shreds by the blades of the motor. Instead of this being a very dangerous near death experience that would leave 99.9999% of people it happens to dead, David shrugs it off and continues on his way completely unscathed.

Later David gets home to his family and they race off to his daughter's school to get supplies but they run into two thugs who are only interested in robbing David and his family of everything they have. They point a gun at David and demand the keys to the truck he is driving and all the food and medical supplies they have gathered. Instead David starts slinging them a line of BS about how shooting him will infect them as well. This really had me rolling my eyes. If these guys were supposed to be our villains, why didn't they just shoot him, take what they wanted, and be on their way? Why sit around talking to him? Plus why do they want his truck? They already have one of their own. Having a second vehicle will only mean twice the fuel consumption and twice the probability of a breakdown. Then again maybe I'm giving the villains of this story a little too much credit.

So David tricks them, steals their gun, shoots one of them in the leg and shoots one of the tires of their truck and races off with his family. But then our villains are racing up behind them. Yes, that whole bullet in the leg to one of the crooks and a popped tire didn't even slow them down at all. Later the villain's truck smashes into a few wrecked cars and results in a full head-on collision. Yet they are able to just put their truck in reverse and continue pursuit of David and his family with little to no reduction in the speed of their vehicle. Yeah right :-P

The ending is stolen from a combination of the end of chapter three of the video game Left 4 Dead 2 and the 2004 Dawn of the Dead remake. We have a battle at a boat dock while our characters are racing to get to a boat with the undead at their heels and one of the main characters is forced to sacrifice themselves in order to save the others.

***END SPOILERS*** ***END SPOILERS*** ***END SPOILERS***

The story is only mildly interesting, the characters are bland and forgettable and the ending is predictable and a rip-off to boot. I only recommend this for zombie fans who want to kill time and enjoy free Kindle downloads.
on August 15, 2014
I grabbed this serial... I will not call it a book, it is not a book, it is a serial, because it was free. It should not have been labeled as Book 1, but rather Episode 1. I am not a fan of serials that are falsely advertised as books. That immediately put this at a one star rating.

My first impression of A.R. Wise's work was not a favorable one, but I tend not to fall in a love with an author- it is their work I fall in love with and because I liked or loved one of their novels is not guarantee that I will like them all. With that in mind, I never knock an author off my potential reads list (unless they are like Anne Rice or some other BBA ignoramus). Since zombies are a particular guilty pleasure of mine, I thought I would give this a try. The potential in the story that is partially begun in this episode is what earned this a second star.

The problems start with the main character. We are to believe this character is Annie Oakley reborn although he has never held a gun? No. This is fiction, but give me three dimensional characters with flaws. This serial does not provide this.

I will not be continuing with this serial.
on May 29, 2014
This one was actually pretty good. It seemed more real I guess. I think the main characters reactions were accurate as to what most would do in an apocalyptic melt down. The drive to protect your family, the sadness at the high risk of death & also the fact that in a horrible situation sometimes you just can't do anything to help others. These were real emotions played out and I enjoyed that. Will check out more from this author.
Thank you for letting me review this product for free or at a heavy discount in exchange for an
honest and unbiased opinion. This is very light weight and not what I expected, A very solid
piece of equipment and works wonders. Packaged very well and with care.