Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 10, 2016
"It could have been a contender." Borrowing a line from On the Water Front's Marlon Brando, too bad Director Sam Peckinpah did not have a free hand in this movie . . . a classic possibility held back by Ms. O'Hara's handlers including the Producer Charlie Fitzsimmons [at least in Peckinpah's view]. Glimpses of Peckinpah's brilliance come alive in scenes set against mountains or brush while following the rider-on-horse, but the action seems stunted in the dramatic situations where one realizes that would not have been the case with Peckinpah's unencumbered direction. The Producer also edited the movie, not using the remarkable talents of Peckinpah honed through television to make an exciting, fast-paced movie. "Brian Keith and Bill Clothier give remarkable performances" Peckinpah says in the book "Sam Peckinpah Interviews," given what must have been real challenges during the weeks of filming. I'd add Chill Wills to the list of performances in this film, who comes back in his rascally ways in the Peckinpah classic Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.
review image
on April 20, 2016
Not a typical Western. A complicated and redemptive love story set against a rough and dangerous background of deadly villains and and two people who risked everything to satisfy their deep longings for truth, love and justice and finally mercy which saved everything in the end. This was really well done-- casting, directing, writing, music and chemistry and empathy between the main characters and the conventionally moral people of the town. Brian Keith and Maureen O'Hara are always great together. A pure kind of love expressed in a consoling and deeply understanding embrace makes a profoundly satisfying beginning to a true love and a promising future.
on April 1, 2016
A little slow and a lot weird. But by the time it wrapped up, I was really liking this movie. One of the highlights was Marlin Skiles' minimalist score. At a time when Westerns still have "big western soundtracks," this one is minimalist: guitars, keyboards, percussion, and harmonica. There's a lot of music and it's amazingly well done (wish there'd been a score release).

William H. Clothier was no stranger to photographing Westerns and this one has some gorgeous shots and a deft use of day-for-night.

Brian Keith handles a very strange role and his relationship with Maureen O'Hara (gosh she's gorgeous) is believably strained and strange. Chill Wills does a turn as a particularly slimy villain and Steve Cochran is his unctuous cohort.

I wouldn't be surprised if Leone saw and liked this movie.
on August 6, 2015
I am a big fan of Brian Keith and enjoyed this old western of his released back in 1961. Amazon video prime sent out the lesser quality 4 : 3 pan and scan image but I just went to my tv's remote and clicked P. size until it filled the screen. The movie was released in widescreen panavision 2.35 : 1 but unfortunately Amazon did not use that better quality to send out. I do not know why Amazon did that. But the click with my remote did make the movie screen size nice and a more enjoyable picture after that. I had never seen this movie before and it had a lot of desert scenery to enjoy as it was filmed in Arizona. Not a bad western to watch. Recommended.
on December 13, 2012
I've been so tempted to purchase Sam Peckinpah's DEADLY COMPANIONS from overseas (Region 2) as both the UK and Germany releases offer widescreen prints of this Western. Here in the US all we've ever gotten is the chopped-up, faded, blurry pan and scan version offered by dozens of cheap public domain companies. Seeing this film newly restored and in a widescreen presentation from VCI will be like seeing it for the first time. I, for one, can hardly wait.

UPDATE...The wait is over and this release from VCI looks just great in a stunning widescreen transfer with vibrant colors and a sharp image! I've always liked this movie, and now more so than ever. Great release VCI!
33 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on March 18, 2012
I rented this on Amazon instant video because I'm a fan of Brian Keith and my mother is a fan of both Maureen O'Hara and Keith. The video quality is so poor we could hardly recognize them. It's like someone taped it off broadcast TV 25 years ago, then copied it from one VCR to another before selling it to Amazon. If it was a terrific movie I'd stand for that, but Peckinpah directs it like a low-budget spaghetti western. Maybe he had a low budget. I'm giving it two stars, one for O'Hara and one for Keith.
on November 2, 2010
This western stars Maureen O'Hara and Brian Keith. Both are great in their own respects and they would be perfect in The Parent Trap. However, this movie is very different than any I have seen with either of them. It is very dark, with the characters being outcasts and joining together despite some hatred and tragic events that happen early. Many of the scenes are performed at night and in the desert to produce depressing looking shots. This is a good movie but it isn't a typical western.
on February 8, 2018
I'm a fan of both actors but this just wasn't their best.
on April 22, 2016
I wanted to like this movie. I like the actors, particularly O'Hara and Keith. I admire most of Sam Peckinpah's movies. Here, there are traces of his brilliance on display, but despite his direction, the fine actors and the screenplay by the author of the novel, this movie just doesn't work. It is slow and several scenes make little sense. I watched until Keith and O'Hara buried the wagon to fool the Apaches. These particular Apaches can't find a large hole or recognize foot prints not made by Indians? Too much. I quit. I no longer care if they get to Siringo or not. And what Yellowleg will eventually do with Turk holds no more interest for me. Nor do I care what happens to Billy of the backwards guns.
I downloaded this movie via Amazon Prime so can not comment on any dvd's.
on August 18, 2008
I ordered this film thinking it was the FAIR PLAY listed in Marion Cotillard's resume. Up, nope -- it's two Westerns.

I found the seller was unresponsive when I attempted to exchange or even ask if the seller had the original film I'd searched for. If you have also had this experience, go to Amazon customer service; they worked very well with me to resolve the situation. But it's not the film with Cotillard.