|Digital List Price:||$4.99|
|Print List Price:||$13.49|
Save $13.49 (100%)
Deadly Proof (A Victorian San Francisco Mystery Book 4) Kindle Edition
|Length: 325 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $1.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Characters you can care about: not only is the main character Annie developing, learning to trust and getting better judgement (which Locke conveys in a totally convincing way) but the books are building up a cast of characters who are crisply drawn, memorable and leave you wanting to know what will happen with them next.
Great exposition: So many historical novelists give you great slabs of plodding background, or tell you the same things over and over - this book has a lot to explain but does it without lecturing or weighing down the story.
Believably Victorian people: I am SO tired of historical characters who behave and talk as though they were in 2015! Louisa Locke gets into the heads of her characters so they think, act and speak within the constraints of their time.
I am in love with San Francisco, having grown up across the bay. M. Louisa Locke has done a superior job of bringing Victorian San Francisco to her readers, and this book was fabulous.
Each book in this series brings up a new story-line based on a true situation in the City during the 1870s to 1880. One of the joys of the series, to me, is that you don't *have* to read them in order, although I recommend it. I have read them all, and sometimes just grab one to read without noticing its placement in the series. Each book flows beautifully with its original characters, newcomers and plot. Exquisitely worded, and cleverly blended with past stories, this book grasps your attention, and leads you through understanding about printing work in 1880 and about women's employment. All of Ms. Locke's books support the budding women's movement of the day, including education, work opportunities and the vote. Each one focuses on a different aspect of the movement, and in Deadly Proof there are several printers involved in the creative story, including one that is women-owned and operated. Laura, Annie's soon to be sister-in-law, is a typesetter for a printer as well, so she and Annie bring their knowledge and understanding to the case in which Laura's brother Nate is defending the woman accused.
I learned so much, without even trying, and while enjoying the mystery immensely. I ended up doing quite a bit of extracurricular reading about the subjects in the book, and found it all delightful in combination with Deadly Proof. Highly recommended, with no graphic violence or sex, as befits a “Cozy” story written about the year 1880. Enjoy!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Amateur Sleuths
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Cozy
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Americas > United States > State & Local > West
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > United States
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Cozy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Series
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Women Sleuths
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Historical Romance > Victorian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Mystery & Suspense > Mystery