Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 7,756 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 11,194 reviews
on September 13, 2016
I had the opportunity to have seen Deadwood on HBO. I thought it was a wonderful series then and after viewing the series for the second time I believe I enjoyed it more. It was a lot better the second time around as there was no weekly wait for the next episode. I also didn't realize there were so many episodes either. Must be getting forgetful in my older age. The writing, photography and story line are excellent. I can remember doing a bit of research to see how accurate the storyline followed the historical truth and though not completely accurate there are some truths to the series. Yes Wild Bill really was killed in Deadwood. One thing to remember about the show. It's for mature audiences only. There is a lot of language not suitable, violence, full frontal nudity and other adult situations. I'm sure our older children most likely wouldn't be phased in the least but the little ones will certainly be bothered. I'm hoping Amazon can find other HBO series to broadcast.
on April 28, 2015
This show makes for a great drinking game - every time someone says the "f" word or c**ksucker, take a shot. Be warned, however, you will be inebriated within 10 minutes. LOL. As many of the other reviewers noted, there is an exceeding amount of profanity in this show and this is off-putting for what is otherwise a very good show. The actors are top notch, especially Ian McShane (who is a marvel in his role). Timothy Olyphant is also wonderful, but I liked him much better in Justified. Deadwood is well written and has a myriad of interesting, quirky, and just plain weird characters - almost reminiscent of a Dickens novel. If you can get past the profanity, it is worthwhile - although I prefer and highly recommend Justified instead.
on September 23, 2016
I saw this when it first came out on HBO. This past July I was in the real Deadwood, SD. The whole town is on the National Historical Places Register. They have the original saloon where Wild Bill met his demise and do a re-enactment of it. Great place to visit if you can do it. The
historical beginnings as depicted on the HBO series made the trip more meaning full. I you can make the trip do it but see this series first.
BTW - take my advice and go during the school year when the little kids aren't there on vacation.
review image
on June 20, 2017
Awesome. Love me a good western and there aren't many of those these days. People given it bad reviews because of language? People. That is reality. Love it so far. Sad to see Hickhock die but have a feeling he will be avenged and it will be AWESOME. Love calamity Jane....does she always have to have boogers and crying though. Ian McShane is great as Swearingen and Olyphant as Bullock I have a feeling will be a bad ass and revenge Wild Bills death. Powers Boothe is great(sorry to hear of his recent passing) and William Sanderson is awesome. Many more as well but I must get back to binge watching this.
on May 18, 2015
I have been hearing about Deadwood since it aired on HBO and then suddenly canceled by them. I just finished a marathon of this the first season (thank you Prime). And I have to say, wow. Yes, there is a lot of "colorful language", I mean a lot. This is a unique series, that for once, shows the true Gold rush west and not the cleaned up shows and movies previously produced. I have read some of the comments posted and I am amused at the lack of knowledge about the true west---language and all. Language not withstanding, this show is great history of a town that was dangerous and at the height of the gold rush. No, kids should not watch this show under any circumstances, and if you don't like profanity....just forgot watching. The acting and characters in this show are simply amazing and enjoyable to watch and the under story lines follow the history of the region to a "t". And yes, Ian McShane is so bad, he's good...I almost felt sorry for him when he got "sick"...he is the scene stealer. And now, on to series two...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 14, 2014
Deadwood rings of the old west. The producers, directors and cast have done everything possible to make that gold rush city come alive. Acting is sharp, wits are sharper and tempers are quick to be lost. Deadwood delivers everything from birth to death, love to violence.

Season 1 begins with Sol Star (John Hawkes) and former Montana sheriff, Seth Bullock (Timothy Olyphant), heading into the Dakota Territory to open a hardware store. That sounds simple enough, right? Wrong. Deadwood is basically owned and operated by saloon owner/pimp/property owner and pseudo lord of the camp, Al Swearengen (Ian McShane). In order to get anything done in the camp, Bullock must face Swearengen to do it. That, my dear friend, is only the tip of the Deadwood iceberg.

Are you a prude? You probably shouldn't be watching this series. There's more skin in here at times than in a high school locker room.
on April 4, 2017
In my opinion this is a work of art in every aspect, in every scene, in every word. From beginning to premature ending - in mid stream. Cut short for no (good) reason that I can grock.They were just getting started. Quality abounds in every regard. It could be still going strong today. S.A.D.
on August 14, 2015
I began watching on a whim and found myself entranced by the writing and quality of actors and actresses in the HBO series Deadwood. Ian McShane stands out from the brood of talented performers, gracing watchers with a dangerously charming and complex character that you can't resist rooting for and despising, more often than not, simultaneously. I really can't say enough about this series, and I hate that the plug was pulled on this masterwork prematurely without so much as the courtesy of a proper send off. From my understanding of the situation, HBO couldn't reconcile the show's expense with its earnings, so the story concludes very much so in medias res. I write this having not quite finished up with Season 2, but have read enough complaints to know the long and short of it. Regardless, it sucks to see cinematic art be thwarted by economics, but until patrons of the arts that appreciate expletive riddled historical fiction get involved in funding projects, Deadwood is, and will remain, well, dead...
on June 16, 2016
Great sequel, series, whatever you want to call it...I own the box set for all 3 yrs...just easier to Amazon it...Was a bummer they chopped it unexpectedly, as the non-ending, was really skewed !!! Carnival, on HBO was really good also, & along with Vikings, are the only series shows in Deadwoods' league....Not a giant Walking Dead fan ( really drawing it out ), but it is pretty good, from a creativity standpoint. Deadwood was very loosely factual, & between the dialogue, costumes,sets & fantastic character acting, it was a shame it was so expensive to produce...& largely shame on the producers for not paying the cast, as it was very popular.
On a seperate note, is there any reason why you guys don't offer more classic 50's, 60's, 70's films on prime... Movies like: Hud, Midnight Cowboy, Spencer Tracy, Sidney Portier, Redford, Three days of the Condor, Newman movies...classics like Ben Hur, 10 Commandants...all of the big budget 50's & 60's quality films ????
on December 29, 2016
Rich with period influence. Beautiful shot with heavy nods to the time. I knew little about the Black Hills Gold Rush and the richness of historical relevance in this particular area. Be transported in time and experience the lawlessness of Deadwood. Rich with historical character development of real people from the time, including Calamity Jane, Wild Bill Hickok, Charlie Utter, Wyatt Earp and Seth Bullock. The real gem in this series is Ian McShane as Al Swearengen... A character you will surely hate and then like and then love to hate and then... I don't know. He is riveting. This is historical fiction done well! A little more T & A than I like - it's an HBO original - so I guess they feel they have to, but I generally feel it distracts from the story when it is over done. This really was not place for women at the time, so if you were there, you were likely a woman of ill repute. So plenty of that going on. Plenty of colorful foul language... but as so much of it is men at their rawest... it doesn't seem out of place. The series ends after 3 seasons and leaves you a bit frustrated as the series was unexpectedly cut short and cancelled. Should have had one more season to wrap it up properly. If you enjoyed SOA, you will enjoy this.