Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 75 reviews
on December 17, 2013
Nothing in life is certain, but Death.

But who is Death, really? The smug may be satisfied to call it the absence of life and be done. George Pendle knows there is more to Death than a hood and scythe.

The offspring of Satan and Sin, Death, is tired of being misunderstood, and he sits to set the record straight. Since the beginning of Creation -- a time when plants and animals roamed the earth wearing plastic name tags to identify themselves -- Death has been with us. And it was in creation that Death learned its craft. As Death became more proficient at casting souls of the freshly departed into the Darkness, it grew to love its line of work.

But somewhere between a tormented childhood, an absent father, and a doting mother, and Maud, (the human who wanted to die) Death lost its will to die and thew a giant monkey wrench in the Grand Scheme of Things.

Pendle has fun riffing on history, society, and religion. Death: A Life is at times sappy, and at others groan-worthy, but through most of the novel, I found myself chuckling to myself at the word-play and the sheer insanity of some of the explanations of why and how life works.
on March 13, 2017
I've loved this book since I first picked it up at random at Barnes and Noble. I'm on my second copy now. It's like George Pendle gets my sense of humor, this book is hilarious! I read it when I'm in between books, it never gets boring.
on March 2, 2016
The author tried to hard to make this concept work. He seemed torn between attempts to be funny and attempts to be dramatic/relatable - sadly, I don't believe either was effectively achieved here.
on December 26, 2016
A retelling of all creation that will keep you laughing until the End of All Things. If you are a fan of Douglas Adams, then this is must read.

Death has had an interesting existence, and his take on history is certain to keep you hooked.

Read this.
on June 14, 2017
I will admit, the opening lines had me s little perturbed as to the nature of the book, but I sallied forth, lol, and I'm so glad I did.
This book is hilarious, the word games and "alternate" stories of historical events are extremely clever, and Death quickly fleshes out into a very likeable character.
Great read, the last time I enjoyed a story this much it was a Terry Pratchet book.
on August 7, 2017
This was such a totally unexpected delightful book. It certainly makes you think about things that were never on your radar before.
on June 19, 2017
I enjoyed most of this book, it had a unique perspective. Didn't enjoy the view that God is a bumbling idiot.
on September 11, 2014
A great premise, but very poor storytelling. I tried several times to continue after putting it down, but eventually gave up.
on June 30, 2017
Surprisingly adorable story, very funny! Very creative plot, really enjoyed it. Death makes a shockingly likable character, and his sad childhood makes the reader sympathetic to his mid-Death crisis 😊
on July 10, 2017
What started off as a good idea wore thin rather quickly. It had its cute moments, but overall, the story became flat. Christopher Moore does this type of story in a much stronger way.