Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on July 14, 2015
Just a kick ass read. Spoiler alert for those who don't want to know what the books about.

This one starts with Army Captain Scott Repp. Repp is thirty seven years old and in a year he will retire from the Army. Of course that was before the death flue and the walking dead.

Repp is 6'4" and weighs in at around 225 pound. He's currently with his battle group headed for Columbus, GA to try to save the city from the walking dead. The dead who came to life after a flue pandemic hit the US and everywhere else. This flue has killed millions of people and those millions have reanimated killing more. Once you are bitten you become the undead swelling the ranks of those the military has to fight.

Repp was married but came home to find his wife in bed with another man. Repp had no problem picking the man up and throwing him against a wall and then beating the hell out of him. He and his wife were divorced post haste. He has two kids who are currently with his Mother and Father in Rogers Corner, Michigan. Repp was there on a two week leave until he got orders to head back to Ft. Benning for briefing and an assignment to Columbus, GA.

Jed "Jack" Sherman is a killer. He's a killer and a sociopath but he's very selective on who he kills and for what reason.

Jack's current girlfriend, Sunshine, is a beautiful woman. She and her son Bret are trapped in the relationship. Jack turned from a great guy into a beater of woman. Of course he was always like this and friends tried to warn Sunshine but she saw only what she wanted to see. Hence her being trapped in a relationship with a killer.

Repp and his command ran into more than anyone bargained for in Columbus. Thousands of walking dead made it impossible for the military to save the city. Repp and two of his men finally managed to get out of Columbus but most of the Army was overrun by the walking dead.

Repp picked up civilians along the way and they made it to the Johnson Ranch. A place with cattle, horses, chickens, pigs and crops. A place that Repp decides will be home until he can get back to Michigan and his family.

So begins one damned fine well written book.

This one has Williams, Sunshine, two doctors, a kid named Arni, assorted civilian survivors, ham radios, a group of motorcycle marauders called Locust, Jack and his plans for Sunshine, Jack and his group who make it to the Ranch, Jack's brother and sister, civilians with abilities that come in handy at the ranch, military men who drift into the Ranch, a group of the undead numbering in the hundreds of thousands, plans to meet survivors who made it out of Atlanta, a man named Hector and his group, death, destruction, a tank, the Leader of the marauders and Captain Scott Repp leading the way to protect what they have and stay alive.

Five Stars and then some.
on January 1, 2013
I am such a zombie fan, and have been for 20 years. The best part of the recent zombie explosion has been an all-out literary assault of new books, new authors, and new fans. I read my first zombie book 2 years ago, and have burned my way through the Bourne series, the Recht series, Brown, McKinney, Knight, (and many others that would take forever to list). I have recently had a dry spell of new material, and was delighted to discover a full-length novel that I hadn't yet devoured. Death Flu was exactly what I want in a novel-just enough military training and bravado to give survivors a fighting chance mixed with "normal" folks desperately trying to contribute. I think that the only way to make an outbreak work is to make the masses clueless for a period of time, then the realization that, yes, these are walking dead people, but I think that it gets a little too predictable. In this novel, we do have the momentary clueless reaction, but I think it was rolled out in a quicker, more fast-paced manner that keeps you locked in. I also enjoy exploring the darker half of humanity, and many authors will not go to the depths of degenerate behavior that we all expect to encounter in any situation like the zombie apocalypse, or any fall of social disorder. Scott Brietzke was certainly not afraid to go there. After all, to have the good-guys we also must have the monsters, right? Bravo Mr. Brietzke, a sequel would be a great distraction for the long Vermont winter. Make it a really long sequel...Read this book, and enjoy the good, the bad, and the zombies.
on December 28, 2012
This book had me addicted from the moment I started it. I didn't want to put it down and didn't except for bathroom breaks. I loved how the story flowed from group to group, survivor to survivor and pulled me into the real life scenarios and made me think..."what would I do???". I could tell that this is the authors first novel but I can easily say any idiosyncrasies that were in the book did not trip me up. I could easily put myself in the characters places and understand who they were and what they were about. I read this book in one day and the only bad thing I could say is I am jonesing for my next fix...book 2 is a must!!!!!!
on June 9, 2013
Death Flu a book by Scott Brietzke is story about really 3 people with support characters. The first is a soldier, the second a hot chick of mixed Native American (Indian) heritage, the next and worst is a sick sociopath that is about the worst humanity can offer, till someone even worse shows up.

The story had a few things that are just nitpick worthy and I thought the story did not flow well in the beginning. After about 1/3 of the book the writing improved alot.

As far as I know, this is the first book of the author, so that is kudo's to him! I appreciate an honest effort.

By the time the story was halfway done, I was hooked.

As far as Scott, the soldier, he was a career Army Captain who didn't seem to know that the only people who use the word "clip" instead of "magazine" are civilians without gun experience.

That really is a small error but some the rest is well researched. I will say that the actual conversations with Scott and his Major was kind of strange and with the Corporal.

Other than that, this story rocks.

I hope he writes another book!
on January 20, 2013
Most ZA books concentrate on the "good" people left behind vs. the dead. This book throws in the very real spectre of all of the scum that will rise to the top once society has lost all of its safeguards. The characters are well-formed and the author has done a great job of setting things up for the next book in the series. I'm definitely interested in reading more!
on December 30, 2012
I really enjoyed this story. The characters were developed into actual people and they got you very involved in the storyline. The plot was a full experience starting with the reason for the virus, working through the lives affected, and their survival strategies.
I just love a story that gets you so deeply involved that everything else goes out the window. This book really got to me, I found myself talking outloud to the characters. I'm not sure if that makes this a good book or me a crazy person, but to me it means I have truly gotten into the book. This is a "read this book" recommendation. I really liked it and if you like this genre you will too.
I hope the author has a continuation of this plot, it seems he left the door open for that and I will be looking forward to reading it.
on February 6, 2013
The story itself I would give 3 stars. The dialogue however is a 1 star mess. no character has their own voice every single person sounds the same white, black, Hispanic, redneck, old, and young they speak with the same unnatural cadence and phrasing. I also have never seen the word "inasmuch" used as often as it was in this novel. The writing style didn't really flow either which makes it tough to get into the story. I didn't hate the book the author just needs to learn how to write dialogue better and understand how to make his phrasing more smooth.
on December 30, 2012
I had a great time reading this book, especially the last half. It got more and more interesting as the different groups of survivors headed toward their climatic meeting. I can only imagine what other groups of survivors are out there waiting to be reunited with the living. This book also shows that no matter how bad things can get in the world, bad people always stay bad, but good people go to extra lenghts to help save others. It seems that there is always good vs. evil, even in the worst of times. The main characters were good to the core or rotten to the core.
on January 29, 2013
If one could do half stars I would give thiS one a three and a half.There was a little to much military jargon for me but otherwise pretty good storyline.
on February 14, 2013
Been reading allot of zombie books. This was good but every character was to human. There was no one that you could really root for. Human meaning they didn't always make the correct (hero) type decisions. I found I really didn't like any of the characters. The ones I hated (supposed to hate the main bad guy) could have good moments. The book just ended just stopped. I'm not saying it was terrible, I read it all. I just was not pumped reading it.