- File Size: 233 KB
- Print Length: 76 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Outsider Books (January 4, 2016)
- Publication Date: January 4, 2016
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B01A7LH6M6
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#1,016,213 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #2303 in Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- #8044 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > General Humor
- #10732 in Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Literature & Fiction
Death Will Save Your Life (Bruce Kohler Mysteries Book 4) Kindle Edition
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top Customer Reviews
Opening lines: "The real name of the place was the Aquarius Institute. Barbara called it a New Age intentional community. Jimmy called it a dude ranch for space cadets. Anyone who'd heard of Esalen and Sedona but wouldn't be caught dead going there called it Woo-Woo Farm."
Barbara signs herself and Jimmy up for a couples workshop and persuades Bruce Kohler to go along. On the train they stumble across Melvin Markowitz, America's bestselling relationship guru, "a jowly man with a face like a bad-tempered frog." His wife is wearing "a loose dress that would have looked more at home on the prairie in 1854. He carried nothing. She was loaded down like a pack mule." So much for leading by example.
The scene shifts to the Watering Can, Woo-Woo Farm's version of a speakeasy -- "You could get leaded coffee and dump white sugar in it." - but everyone sits around drinking herbal tea and reading. Enter Feather and Madhusudhan aka Madhouse, bickering about rising to a higher level with Feather's brother, Mel Markowitz.
And so I lurch from scene to scene, laughing all the way.
There's a murder. The victim is so disliked that everyone at the farm can be called a suspect. But activities go on, culminating in a Midsummer Night's gathering at the beach.
It's a magical night: "A three-quarter moon rode high in the sky. Silvery mist rose from the water. The performance started with the throbbing beat of a drum floating across the lake, then more drums and the drone of didges. Male voices began to chant." The singers glide into view, sitting "tall and straight" in their canoes, and the murderer picks that moment to strike again.
DEATH WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is a quick read, chock full of funny lines. Zelvin has a gentle hand with even her most disagreeable characters and the setting is lovely.
This "novella," fourth in the Bruce Kohler series, is billed as a prequel to the earlier books in the series, but I only found that out after I read it and went looking to find out where it fell in the series. To me it just seemed like the next logical step.
The author’s portrayal of 12-step programs, slogans and dialogue from meetings is spot on. I like that Bruce sometimes struggles, but sticks to his program, just like in real life. The dialogue is witty, the place descriptions vivid and the more I read, the more I’ve come to care about these characters. If I were a new fan, this would have been good enough to make me search out the other books in the series. As it is, I’m looking forward to hearing more from Bruce, Jimmy and Barbara.
Death Will Get You Sober # 1
Death Will Help You Leave Him #2
Death Will Extend Your Vacation #3
Death Will Save Your Life #4
As always, it's fun hanging out with Bruce and his friends. Zelvin's deft writing, the sharp humor, and Bruce's ironic take on unfolding events make for a most enjoyable read.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > Humorous
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery > Cozy
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > General Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Mystery