- Hardcover: 228 pages
- Publisher: Wiley; 1 edition (February 28, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1118186176
- ISBN-13: 978-1118186176
- Product Dimensions: 6.3 x 0.8 x 9.2 inches
- Shipping Weight: 13.6 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (27 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #2,076,953 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Debacle: Obama's War on Jobs and Growth and What We Can Do Now to Regain Our Future 1st Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
See the Best Books of 2017 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Inside Flap
Are Americans better off today than they were before Barack Obama was elected to office? Americans for Tax Reform President Grover Norquist and economist John Lott don't think so, and in Debacle: Obama's War on Jobs and Growth and What We Can Do Now to Regain Our Future, they argue that huge increases in government spending, mounting debt, massive new regulations, and higher effective marginal income taxes are seriously hurting the country.
Exploring the ways in which Obama's economic policies have contributed to the high unemployment rate, slowed economic growth, produced dramatically higher national debt, and damaged the housing market, Norquist and Lott contend that Obama's views on spending, taxes, and regulation have worked to harm—rather than help—our recovery from the so-called "Great Recession."
Arguing that the Obama administration used the financial crisis more as an opportunity "to do big things" than to solve the country's economic problems, the book examines the players involved in the meltdown, Obama's failed attempts to put the country back on track, and much more. Rejecting the President's use of Keynesian economics as a way of giving money to wealthy political supporters rather than as a legitimate way of understanding how the economy operates, Norquist and Lott offer a fresh perspective.
The cost of Obama's policies have greatly outweighed the benefits, and Norquist and Lott have solutions for getting the country back on track. Offering a comprehensive 12-step plan that covers everything from reforming the federal tax code to reducing industry regulation, Debacle outlines a clear path to putting America back in pole position.
From the Back Cover
Praise for DEBACLE
"Debacle will end the claims of Paul Krugman and his ilk that poor, put-upon Obama did the best anyone could do with a recession he inherited. To the contrary, Lott and Norquist convincingly demonstrate that Obama took specific actions that made the recession much worse. A lot of Democrats got wealthy under Obama, but Obama's Democrats-get-rich-quick policies destroyed millions of jobs and left Americans with a massive debt hangover. Every American with a bank account should read this book."
—Ann Coulter, best-selling author and syndicated columnist
"Lott and Norquist have penned a persuasive indictment of President Obama's economic record.¿ Jammed with facts and built on a mountain of carefully catalogued evidence, this is a potent resource for anyone who wants to help replace Mr. Obama in the Oval Office."
—Karl Rove, former Deputy Chief of Staff and Senior Advisor to President George W. Bush
"This is the book that everyone concerned about the future of America must read. Norquist and Lott serve up a depressing but sobering picture of today's economy along with a roadmap of solutions to move the country forward."
—Haley Barbour, former Governor of Mississippi
"President Obama's economic policy has been catastrophic for liberty, enterprise, and the American dream—the very archetype of what not to do to end recession. Debacle documents how this happened and why, with outstanding research, facts, and clear thinking. Reading this book is like digging through the rubble of a man-made disaster: It is painful but necessary for going forward to restore prosperity and opportunity."
—Jeffrey Tucker, executive editor, Laissez-Faire Books
Browse award-winning titles. See more
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
The book is well researched, sighting many interesting facts. It explains how the US economy got to where it is today and how the stimulus packages have negatively affected things.
The book also lays out an intelligent plan for productive future.
Some of the topics explained in Debacle:
* Stimulus Bills made the recovery and employment rate worse, not better.
* States and Countries that "stimulated" less did better.
* Canada/Germany unemployment trends mapped with ours up to stimulus event.
* Larry Summers is one of the people most responsible for damaging the US economy.
* How Keynesian economic theory has proven to be a failure, yet Obama still embraces it.
* Stimulus funds went not to where the worst economic conditions existed, but to where Obama's supporters were mostly located.
* Political pressure to give out risky loans and funds to friends of the administration are exposed.
* Why and how the Sub-Prime housing market crisis happened, mostly due to political pressure from both parties on banks to give out risky loans to low income borrowers. Freddie and Fannie, by being government backed, was another leading reason.
* Obama: Anti-Business president. Many anti-business quotes from him. Many more regulations and costs under Obama.
* An analysis of the current USA political landscape.
* Some references to Gun Control, and how it makes sense that those who vote pro-gun tend to also prefer smaller government and lower taxes.
* Lays out a detailed, multi-step long term solution to putting America's economy back on track.
* Obama campaigned as a deficit reducer, yet he more then doubled the deficit with increased spending.
* The real problem isn't the size of the deficit, the real problem is the size of government spending.
* Obama's lies about Obamacare.
I bought the book upon recommendation from an economist that I really respect because I wanted to understand what has happened to this country, and why, for myself. Even if you don't want to listen to the opinions of the authors (which in my opinion would be a mistake) read the book for the wealth of data and draw your own conclusions.
What I appreciate the most is Norquist readily (and equally) quotes liberal and conservative sites such as CNN, MSNBC, FOX News, and the Wall Street Journal as well as provides external links where you can read transcripts of speeches, etc. for each source. You can make up your own mind vs. being spoon fed on what you "need to believe."
This is not a book I could read in one sitting, but I took it a chapter at a time over a period of a couple of weeks - it's a lot of information to cover, but it's also something (if you are keeping an open mind) that should give you pause for reflection and thought about the weak economic and crappy political climate in this country.
Most recent customer reviews
First, the majority of the 1 star reviews are bogus or seem like...Read more
FRIENDS, OBAMANS, COUNTRYMEN...Read more