Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 34 reviews
on July 24, 2006
Something has happened to Mary Hunt since her 1999 publication on Debt-Free Living. Or perhaps it's happened to her editor. Or perhaps a ghost writer has slipped into her life.

Regardless, the same passion and good sense is now expressed with a pleasant and flowing presentation that makes her medicine all the more bearable to the debt-laden patient.

Simply put, this lady can write!

Mary Hunt's book about finances in marriage sparkles. She has taken conventional wisdom about marriage, gender differences, and biblical teaching about a generous Creator and woven it together with her trademark 10-10-80 approach to managing money (give 10%, save 10%, spend 80%). Revell has helped out by packaging a supremely attractive book (the colors, the spacing, the flawless editing ...) at a decent price.

A major first section sports the title 'Get Your Relationship Ready for Financial Harmony'. Hunt's own story reveals that she knows how taxing financial stress and indebtedness often are on a marriage, so she's chosen to invest significant pages reminding her readers of some basic gender patterns and communication skills. You'll get a little bit of 'Men are from Mars, Women from Venus ...' language in this section, but always winsomely packaged and with an awareness of how individuals vary.

Then it's on to 'How to Debt-Proof Your Marriage', ten short chapters that present material Hunt has developed and presented elsewhere since the 1992 launch of her 'Cheapskate' business.

A third section ('Unique Solutions for Common Dilemmas') is almost an extended set of appendices, each valuable for reference or inspiration.

As a reader of a fair amount of material on debt and its effects on individuals and families, I have gravitated to Mary Hunt's work as the steady best. Debt-Proof Your Marriage is her high watermark thus far.
on March 8, 2004
One day at work in the break room I came across this book--obviously someone had forgotten it there. I was curious and probably bored so I flipped it open to the middle and immediately devoured a whole chapter. Midnight infomercials on how to change my life and financial situation make my stomach quesy and I feared this was the same kind of book. It's not. It's the story of a woman and the financial disaster she wreaked upon her family. It's also how she escaped it and what she learned. I realised quite simply finances and how to manage them properly were never really taught to me. She provided a great educational service to me in that one chapter. I left the book in the break room, but ever so often I remembered the book and vowed to find it. I only vaguely remembered the title and so could not find it. Then one day it reappeared in the break room and I immediately went out and bought it after I memorized Mary Hunt's name. I am grateful after reading the whole book that I have finally learned some skills that will allow my husband and I to control our money instead of our money controlling us. I will also add that if you want to cut your grocery bill, read Ellie Kay's Shop, Save, and Share. You won't regret reading that small paperback either.
on April 25, 2017
This said it was a work book....that I assumed went with the book that I already have. Now I have two of the same book and not the workbook that I wanted.
on March 19, 2017
I read everything I can get written by Mary Hunt. She has changed my financial life.
on July 22, 2015
Book was fine. Brand new. :)
on July 6, 2012
I don't even know where to begin about this book. It helped turn our lives around. Bought this copy for my parents. I highly recommend this book and I really wish everyone contemplating marriage would read this book first! It would prevent so many problems to be educated about money. The big point is to live under your income! What a concept!!
on September 20, 2013
I read this book several years ago and it change my life. This is THE BEST FINANCIAL ADVISE you will EVER get. So I Bought this as a gift to my Brother and Sister In Law they were young and always asking me for advise.
on October 7, 2011
This book is absolutely excellent. If couples follow her excellent advice, I believe that communication on the most sensitive issues will be possible. She shares what men need in marriage and what women need--and she hits "the nail on the head'! Also excellent tips for having a debt-free marriage.
on December 30, 2012
This was a great toll along with pray to help us get out of debt. Very simple to read and follow. I have given this to every young couple that I know.
on September 26, 2003
Mary Hunt has to be inspired by God! She is right on the money with her advice to get you out of debt in rapid time. I had been praying for a way out of debt and when I saw her book and read it I knew this was my answer to prayer! I really believe that she can help anyone get out of debt and stay that way! Thank you so much Mary Hunt!