Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Josh Too and the conflicts PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 64 reviews
on June 6, 2017
Decent movie,
probably better as a one time rental than to buy it.
(I paid $14.95 for the DVD, it's since dropped to $10.95)

The part of "Lucy" is played by the Teresa Palmer, who also played the part of Doss' wife in Hacksaw Ridge.

Of course Daniel Radcliffe was Harry Potter & Swiss Army Man (lol!)

PG-13 rating is for a couple thinly veiled breasts,
and one intimate scene that is somewhat graphic (2nd base without nudity)

Overall I enjoyed this movie,
it had the feel of a much older film
if not for Radcliffe, I might have thought it was filmed in the 70's or 80's.

The movie itself doesn't jam the subject matter down your throat,
but it does take a look at the life of orphan kids.

The beautiful shoreline of Australia makes a fantastic backdrop to this movie,
the scenery alone is a reason to watch.

Acting was decent, characters fairly well built up, and their interactions were interesting.

Probably a 3.5-4 star movie,
I don't know if I'll end up watching it a second time,
but I might.

Worth the time and a few bucks for a rental
on March 8, 2014
Wasn't sure if this movie would be sad or cheesy or what, but it definitely exceeded my expectations and turned out to be touching and interesting.

I won't lie; I rented this movie solely because Daniel Radcliffe was in it and I wanted to see if he was any better in this than he was in Harry Potter (I'm a big HP fan, but not a big Radcliffe fan).

The answer was that Daniel Radcliffe's acting was still pretty awkward, but tolerable. The rest of the kids and adults were incredibly good actors, and I loved the story. I'd definitely recommend it.
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2013
This is a delightful coming of age film. The kids in it are great and the actor, Sullivan Stapleton is awesome as the dethroned carnival motor bike dare devil. I recommend this for all ages.
on January 7, 2017
This is a wonderful coming of age story about four orphans in Australia. Why it wasn't a big hit I don't know. I bought a used DVD as one of my Christmas gifts for myself. I saw it once on TV and never was able to find the DVD until now. A definite five stars!
on July 7, 2016
Excellent movie, This is the second time I've watched it. I watched it with my wife and 9 year old son and they loved it also.
on April 9, 2017
Another one of the great films coming out of Australia these days (The Dressmaker is another recent release.). The story revolves around four orphans who cement their bond as a family while on an extended summer holiday (and since this is Australia, it occurs in December). What can you say about the boy who will always bring Harry Potter to mind? Daniel Radcliffe plays his role to perfection as the leader of the pack who experiences his coming of age summer against the background of Kangaroo Island off the coast of South Australia. The boys romp through spectacular scenery as they wrestle with their desire for parents against the growing bond of their relationships with each other. An unusual movie for those seeking an antidote to Hollywood fare.
on January 12, 2009
Though Daniel Radcliffes' character Maps was not the leading character, he proved he is an actor, not to be dismissed as only for the Harry
Potter series.
The movie is excellent if you like "Stand By Me" and "Goonies" from the 1980's you will love and care for these boys as well.
The December Boys
Stand By Me (Deluxe Edition)
Goonies Storybook: Based on the Motion Picture from Warner Bros., Inc. : Story by Steven Spielberg : Screenplay by Chris Columbus
The Goonies [Blu-ray]
on May 31, 2016
It's a well written movie but I would have like to see more of Victoria Hill.
on February 21, 2017