Truck Reviews Beauty Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Decision Points
Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 5, 2017
Grorge Bush may have stumbled over and mispronounced words when he was speaking, but the words he put down in this book were clear, concise and wonderful! He takes you through most of his adult life. His description of events on September 11th and the days ensuing are with compassion and clarity. A great read for anyone interested in getting to know and understand the man who was - and still is - maligned by the press and current administration. i'm a fan. . . .
6 people found this helpful
on July 7, 2014
I admit I am biased in favor of George W. The public W is well known to Texas and I believe most of us know him to be genuine and sincere. I dare say most of us understand him, warts and all. I liked the book and the limited inside information W provides but would have preferred more detail on many of the more difficult decisions he faced. To me he clearly tried to avoid excuse-making and anything that would speak to the next person in that job while relating to the reader the remaining things that influenced him. The cynical among us assume he hid the details. I believe he honored his personal belief that he should stay out of the news once he was out of office. That is my opinion, for what it is worth.
6 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I am usually very skeptical about reading memoirs written by former Presidents, world leaders, and business executives. They seem to spend most of their time trying to press their particular points of view on their readers in an effort to bend facts to their own political or personal agenda.

It was in this frame of mind that I recently picked up “Decision Points,” former President George W. Bush’s memoirs of his eight years in office (2001-2009). After I finished reading it, I found myself very pleasantly surprised. “Decision Points” is unlike most other presidential memoirs I have ever read.

“Decision Points” is a very personal book by a very controversial president. Bush spends very little time on policy discussions or historical narratives in this book. Rather, he attempts to give the reader an idea of what he was thinking and feeling when he made some of his most important decisions. To be sure, some of his conservative ideology creeps into his prose, and some of what he writes sounds as if he is making excuses for the decisions he made, but by and large, his writing is free from the harsh partisan rhetoric so common in political memoirs today.

I was also quite pleasantly surprised at the excellent quality of the writing in “Decision Points.” George W. Bush employed Christopher Michel, one of his former speechwriters, to ghostwrite the book, and I think Michel largely got it right. As I read “Decision Points,” I could hear echoes and cadences of Bush’s best speeches. Bush/Michel’s prose is simple, straightforward, easy to read, and quite enjoyable.

You may notice that I have very little to say in this review about George W. Bush the president. That is by design. I have my own opinions about the man and his presidency, and I intend to keep them to myself. However, I will say that in “Decision Points,” Bush made it easy for me to set aside whatever preconceptions I may (or may not) have had, and come away with an appreciation for who he was and what he did during his eight years as President. “Decision Points” is one of the better presidential memoirs I have read in recent years. Highly recommended.
15 people found this helpful
on September 12, 2017
to date, the best writing of any president in the history of our beloved country. i cannot tell you how many times i have reached for this book as an inspiring compass at troubled times in life. readers relate to president bush's struggles and find serenity from president bush's strength. this book is required reading for any fan of united states history.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I went into this book expecting just the basic info biography bs, but came away more impressed that I thought I would be. The insights on the behind the scenes September 11 are worth the price of admission. It is things like that we would otherwise never have access to otherwise.

It is good that he put out this book for that reason. Many presidents went to the grave with stories, thoughts, etc, that would have added greatly to them and to history of this country. I was also suprised that there was no bitterness expressed against those who took shots at him (more words of how it hurt him that statements made about him hurt his mom and dad sort of thing).

Worth a read even if you dont buy the book and just secretly borrow from someone else. I would say that even if you hate him for whatever reasons to put that aside long enough to hear the stories, you can always pick the hate back up when you are done. I feel bad for the last statement as there are so many who carry the burden of hate in this political climate of youre either one side or the other, and those people will miss out on a rare look into our history. I never got the feeling like he was trying to change anyones mind about anything. i liked that part.
5 people found this helpful
on March 16, 2017
I have always been a fan of GW, this just confirms the quality of this man.
3 people found this helpful
on May 18, 2013
Whether you love him or you hate him, President Bush has written a unique book. So many politicians retire to write self-serving biographies. This isn't that kind of book.

In this book, Bush sets up various situations from his presidency and then walks you step by step through the process of gathering and analyzing data and using it to guide his decisions. Over and over we watch as he consults his staff and then has to interpret their inputs to make the "right" choice. Whether he does or not is up to the reader to decide.

Read this book. It may not change your feelings towards the man, but it'll help you understand why he did some of the things he did.
on January 7, 2017
I appreciated this book explaining his reasons for some of his decisions. I voted for him twice. I didn't always agree with him but admired the fact that he didn't sit on the fence or try to please. He stood up for what he believed in and I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
3 people found this helpful
on October 11, 2016
If you like the guy or not, you'll get to hear his perspective as he rolled from one bad situation to another during his time in office. I found the book worth reading.
on July 16, 2014
What a great book. I never liked Bush before but when I read this book I have a total respect for this man. Unil you read this book you have no idea what he had to go through in his presidency and why he did the things he did. You gotta get this book and read it. You will not regret it.
5 people found this helpful