Deep Blue Sea
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Model-actress Saffron Burrows plays the researcher; Thomas Jane pulls double-duty as shark expert and action hunk; Samuel L. Jackson's the corporate sponsor who chooses the worst time for an Aquatica tour; and rapper LL Cool J is nicely cast as Aquatica's cook and comic relief. Michael Rapaport, Jacqueline McKenzie, and Stellan Skarsgård round out the cast, most of whom are turned into shark food as the makos turn Aquatica into a floating junkyard. Harlin takes devilish pleasure in providing sudden, unexpected shocks--no small feat in such a derivative thriller--and as a series of action set-pieces, Deep Blue Sea never disappoints. It's inevitable that Burrows should end up in her underwear like Sigourney Weaver in Alien, but even then the movie offers a credible reason for the strip-down; that Deep Blue Sea can be simultaneously ridiculous and sensible is just another one of its shlocky charms. --Jeff Shannon
- HBO Special When Sharks Attack!
- The Sharks Of The Deep Blue Sea Documentary
- Deleted Scenes
- Photo Gallery & Storyboards
- DVD-Rom Features: Online Event
Top Customer Reviews
Overall, this is an above-average flick. It isn't as cheesy as "Lake Placid," and it doesn't make the sharks quite as smart as the raptors of "Jurassic Park" fame, but it takes parts of both of these films and combines them with a little suspense and terror a la "Jaws" and serves up a fish dinner that just about anyone can enjoy.
Also, notice the nod given to "Jaws" during Jackson's initial landing at Aquatica.(Hint: Check that license plate)
Basically it's Genetic Modification gone bazerk, super intelligent sharks, modified for the purpose of curing a disease, turn against their creators in a frenzy of snapping jaws and red-water scenes. I know, it's not the most in-depth plot review but that's it really, which doesn't matter because the great content makes up for the barely existant story.
The cast is great. Saffron Burrows shows that she is more than just cleavage as the meddling scientist who went too far, while Thomas Jane succeeds as the action hero (Even though he falls down about 50 times) and LL Cool J is surprisingly good as the comic relief/chef. Although he's playing the token 'cowardly character' Michael Rapaport gives a good performance, Stellan Skarsgard and Samuel L Jackson are both very talented actors who are good in any film and Jacqueline McKenzie gives more than just a creadible performance, watch the deleted scenes to see her at her best.
I would reccommend this film to anyone who likes a high tension thriller with plenty or guts'n'gore, but it belongs in anyone's DVD collection. It's in mine ;).
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I choose this rating because the movie is good. What I like about the movie is that “Adrenaline-pumped shock waves. Read morePublished 6 days ago by Nathan Shepherd
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Sci-Fi Action
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Horror
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy