Your Memberships & Subscriptions
Deep Down & Dirty Writing Secrets: A Treasure Trove of Writing Tips Kindle Edition
Writing advice that gets you started and keeps you going.
Wouldn’t you love to have authors reveal the secrets of their successes to you? You get that in this collection of essays, many by award-winning authors, and all of them fine practitioners of the craft. Their insights provide you with tools, tips, and encouragement for your own writing.
- Using Internal and external dialogue
- Laying out the heroine’s journey
- Learning about editing
- Writing a series
- Connecting with Deep POV
- Getting Started
- Building a world
- Incorporating the spiritual
- Writing for the internet
- Constructing the memoir
- Wielding the mighty question
- Using oppression to fuel creativity
★Winner of the 16th Annual (2020) Arizona/New Mexico Book Award for eBook Nonfiction★
From our editorial reviews: “…splendid line-up of writers” and “from creating to editing, this book is an essential…”
This book is special. Other advice books focus on one topic. We cover multiple topics, many with the depth and breadth you normally find in stand-alone works. All incorporate the experience that will help you bridge the gap between theory and actual practice. They include references that widen the scope of the information. Sharpen your pencils, open your computers, or start your voice recorders because within these pages, you’ll find the kind of advice and encouragement you need.
Share the wisdom of our Southwest community without leaving your own writing cocoon. Get the book to join our authors Catalina Claussen, Alethea Eason, Chris Lemme, Kris Neri, E J Randolph, Kate Rauner, Eve West Bessier, Luanne Brooten, Sharleen Daugherty, John Maberry, Sharon Mijares, and Joni Kay Rose.
- "What a splendid line-up of writers."
-- Beate Sigriddaughter, Writing in a Woman's Voice
- "Ideal for beginning writers, as well as reminders for established published authors. Deep Down & Dirty tackles many questions necessary to navigate the writing and publishing realm.
"From creating to editing, this guide is an essential how-to of what to expect while polishing your words, and it will help navigate the oftentimes confusing path to publication. Covered in these pages are the plot development and point of view essential to creating a compelling book series for fiction.
"Non-fiction writers are also treated to crucial techniques necessary in providing relevant information for creating articles & memoirs."
-- Deborah J Ledford, award-winning author and adjunct professor for Virginia Piper Creative Writing Center, Arizona State University
- "In the delightful writer's-craft anthology Deep Down & Dirty Writing Secrets, veteran editor Randolph and her merry band of contributors give us a book that avoids the too-broad, too-general focus of so many writer's craft anthologies. And they deliver their practical wisdom with a sense of humor. Maybe there be a sequel!"
-- Bruce McAllister, writing coach and author of the novels Dream Baby and The Village Sang to the Sea.
- "Deep Down & Dirty Writing Secrets is a handy guide for writers at all stages of their career. The advice is solid, derived from the experiences of this group of working writers. Advice of this kind is something I have always valued. When writers have experienced successes, failures and 'sort of worked' moments that are always present in writing, and can offer them in simple language, it is so much more valuable than a book filled with dry, techie language.
"This book does it. A worthwhile addition to any writer's advice library."
-- Morgan St. James, author of Writers' Tricks of the Trade: 39 Things You Need to Know About the ABCs of Writing Fiction and 18 other books.
- "Deep, Down & Dirty Writing Secrets is a delight. It's a wonderfully eclectic mix of topics helpful to every writer. Whatever level, genre, fiction or non-fiction writer you are, you'll find tips & tricks to help you on your journey. Using their own works to illustrate techniques, these writers generously share the nuts and bolts of their process.
"From an in-depth guide on carrying off a fiction series by award-winning novelist, Kris Neri, to information on writing for hire on the Internet by Lauanne Brooten, to practical tips on creating compelling characters through deep point of view by editor, E.J. Randolph, and more even esoteric topics such as incorporating spirituality in writing by Eve West Bessier & following a dream to your creative end by Sharleen Daugherty.
"I guarantee you'll find invaluable tools whether you're writing memoirs for your grandchildren or perusing professional publication."
-- Shannon Baker winner of 2019 New Mexico/Arizona book award for The Desert Behind Me.
- "Deep Down and Dirty Writing Secrets explores a range of topics: from developing plot via the hero's journey, finding success with a series, or writing a memoir. Encouraging and informative. A collection of valuable offerings to all who write."
-- Elise Stuart, 2014-2017 Poet Laureate, Silver City, NM, USA, Author of Another Door Calls
- "The best teachers of craft are often those who have written their own books, and are willing to share some of their own secrets. This is the magic of the written word, the mastery of which drives writers of every stripe from the time they first pick up a pen or stare into their screen. It's a never-ending journey of discovery, and there's always more to learn, to practice, and to master.
"This book seems unusual to me in that it covers writers of both fiction and nonfiction, with suggestions for both. That offers a lot of reach for writers to explore. I learned a lot from [the non-fiction] section, [like] how to turn questions into swords that can reveal new approaches."
-- Jody Norman, Managing editor and writer for the Western Center of Metropolitan Education and Research in Seattle, Washington; author of New Trails, Book 1 and articles in the Colorado Gardener, 2020.
- ASIN : B0866BTPD4
- Publisher : Borderland Writers Co-op (May 1, 2020)
- Publication date : May 1, 2020
- Language : English
- File size : 1119 KB
- Simultaneous device usage : Unlimited
- Text-to-Speech : Enabled
- Screen Reader : Supported
- Enhanced typesetting : Enabled
- X-Ray : Not Enabled
- Word Wise : Enabled
- Sticky notes : On Kindle Scribe
- Print length : 159 pages
- Best Sellers Rank: #1,577,969 in Kindle Store (See Top 100 in Kindle Store)
- Customer Reviews:
About the authors
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
While many of the ideas I was familiar with, this helpful book takes a closer look than most traditional "How to Write" books. The topics are well-organized, and each writer uses specific examples, often from their books, to demonstrate a point. It's a quick read but packed with many useful ideas.
This little book is the same for word artists. A dozen writers take us in and open up about their particular interests and experiences and skills. There's a sense of getting to know the people a bit, as well as what they have to say.
The variety! It's a book to hop around in, not plow through. (But I never did find the dirty writing part.}
I'm supposed to say that I received a free (ARC) copy. I did.